Hermes Equestrian items :)

gymangel812

<3OOO~~~
O.G.
Apr 14, 2006
i recently bought my first horse a few months ago and i'd like to combine my hermes and horse loves and splurge on a hermes equestrian item (smallish nothing like a saddle or bridle [already have both of course]). most of the info i find on other horse sites say hermes items are overpriced lol. anyone have any suggestions? any items you've found to be very nice?

Riding crop and whip? I was riding regularly for the past few years and always was looking at them. Price is still tolerable. No I have not bought them. Yet.

Yes, the equestrian items are overpriced but all of Hermes is overpriced !
Every few years I buy their beechwood brush. They are beautifully made- like all Hermes items and really last. Great for removing mud and dirt. On hermes.com , select equestrian/ stable/grooming equipment/brushes. Soak in cold water overnight for bristles to set.

Riding crop and whip? I was riding regularly for the past few years and always was looking at them. Price is still tolerable. No I have not bought them. Yet.

Hey loves! What have you been up to?

Gymangel congrats on the new horse. Sounds so exciting. I have no idea about these tools but I am sure you will get good suggestions with the ladies in this forum.

Congratulations on your new horse! I no longer have a horse, but if I did, I'd actually splurge for the bridle. If you buy Hermes, it's all about the leather, and the bridle is something you'd handle everyday, clean and polish regularly. If you already have a bridle, perhaps a halter with a nameplate. If you're looking for something small, maybe the stirrup irons, especially if they have the subtle clou de selle symbol on it somewhere. Or spurs if you use them. Nothing that you'd end up losing too easily (crops, hoof picks, brushes, polo wraps seem to disappear in any barn) and nothing that screams Hermes like an orange saddle pad or anything with a big H on it (people on the horse sites are right, H is overpriced for tack and equipment, and I'd personally rather not advertise that I bought my horse something from Hermes, lol).

Last edited:
Congratulations on your horse! I would go for a halter, they are sooo fine! But it'll get sooo dirty if your horse gets to use it outside. If I didn't have the time to clean a halter on a daily basis, I'd go for the iconic Rocabar blanket. I swear, my pony was on a diet for 3 months so that she could save up enough hay to buy hers!!!&#128513;

Your first horse- congratulations! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with him. I've been riding for ever and never really gave in to H equestrian gear. Most of it's just too unpractical and overly priced. For sure if you can find a well fitting, good condition second hand H saddle it's really worth it. Otherwise I've used a few bars of H saddle soap just for the fun of it but you'll get as good ones from your local farmers market with less than half the price. Halters and bridles are good quality but I prefer german or french equestrian brands like Passier, Pikeur, Georg Schumacher, Dy'On etc. as they are durable and come in way more different styles and options. The simple H snaffle bits are good quality and actually rather reasonably priced. The quality is as good as for example Sprenger bits. For yourself you could always try a pair of H riding breeches and I've competed in a couple if different H show jackets which are really nice. The current saddle pads and blankets are in my opinion too "showy" with the big H logos and texts and would rather fit a H sponsored rider / horse combination.. Have fun with your horse! :tup:

Hey loves! What have you been up to?

Gymangel congrats on the new horse. Sounds so exciting. I have no idea about these tools but I am sure you will get good suggestions with the ladies in this forum.

hey dear jadeite, been a while. i'm good, just busy with life :graucho: hope you are doing well, happy holidays!

Congratulations on your new horse. The best gift you can give any horse is lots of time and company.

I have an olive snaffle and a double-bit (only used in competition) and second reins.

Your horse will appreciate anything that is well fitting and does its job and leaving expensive stuff around a stable (even while just out riding) can be tricky - just talking from experience.

I think that their leather halter would be lovely and last forever (even though they are approx. 900% more expensive than a very good padded leather and brass headcollar from somewhere else) but leather gets better if cared for. I don't know I would leave it a stable, but perfect if you show your horse in-hand. A few well chosen H things will impress at shows and then you can bring out just 'for best'. Honestly, not sure a bright orange saddle pad with any logo impressing judges.

A Rocabar blanket is very nice but it's basically a copy of an old Newmarket blanket (which were not cheap) it will look very nice under a jute rug. Nowadays people tend to want rugs to be lighter and easily washable.

Perhaps a better idea is to choose something for yourself. Hermes' crops are beautiful, made from hackberry wood from the S. France, it is apparently the only wood that bends and swishes the right way to make whips and crops (not that you'll ever have to actually use it) but the wood is absolutely famous for it. Sometimes H does a crop in an unusual leather colour like bright blue. Just don't lose it! The dressage whips are fantastic but they are a lot more expensive.

I have the Hamptons saddle pad in orange, and it looks amazing, I also have the polo wraps and the ear nets, and waiting on the saddle now! I am just addicted to their equestrian items! I know they are a bit over priced but they are definetley worth it!

Congratulations on your new horse. The best gift you can give any horse is lots of time and company.

I have an olive snaffle and a double-bit (only used in competition) and second reins.

Your horse will appreciate anything that is well fitting and does its job and leaving expensive stuff around a stable (even while just out riding) can be tricky - just talking from experience.

I think that their leather halter would be lovely and last forever (even though they are approx. 900% more expensive than a very good padded leather and brass headcollar from somewhere else) but leather gets better if cared for. I don't know I would leave it a stable, but perfect if you show your horse in-hand. A few well chosen H things will impress at shows and then you can bring out just 'for best'. Honestly, not sure a bright orange saddle pad with any logo impressing judges.

A Rocabar blanket is very nice but it's basically a copy of an old Newmarket blanket (which were not cheap) it will look very nice under a jute rug. Nowadays people tend to want rugs to be lighter and easily washable.

Perhaps a better idea is to choose something for yourself. Hermes' crops are beautiful, made from hackberry wood from the S. France, it is apparently the only wood that bends and swishes the right way to make whips and crops (not that you'll ever have to actually use it) but the wood is absolutely famous for it. Sometimes H does a crop in an unusual leather colour like bright blue. Just don't lose it! The dressage whips are fantastic but they are a lot more expensive.

i have been keeping an eye on my cheap dressage whip and told myself if i do not lose it, i may be able to justify buying H's.

however my whip is so caked with mud, soil, earth and sometimes other horsey things... that it stops me from getting an expensive one. but they're beautiful.

Major congrats to you!!! What a coincidence--I also just got my first horse a few weeks ago. As I'm slowly purchasing items, I've been looking at H equestrian items as well! My horse (Prince) arrived two days before my birthday and my sweet husband presented me with the "Super H" Silk. I asked for an H equestrian item for the horse but he didn't have any idea so he bought something for me. Lol. I'm thinking of getting a brush myself. Since Dressage is my discipline, I also have my eye on the dressage whip but there are so many beautiful things, I'm on the fence...