Hermes Craft Project for My "Girl Cave"

Oct 19, 2008
A couple of months ago, I decided to remodel the sitting room off of my master bedroom into my Girl Cave, a haven for me and my H collection and wardrobe. The renovation is still in progress and won't finish for a couple of weeks because other areas of my house are being renovated and take priority.

I decided I needed someplace to put the scarves that I've collected for the past 30+ years. Inspiration took place in my garage one day and seeing my old cherry bedroom set that I was saving for my kids. My brother gave me the set when my husband and I had no money after we bought our house 21+ years ago. It's great quality furniture, but it was very old fashioned. I looked at the tall 7 drawer lingerie chest and had an AHA! moment. I like working with my hands and have refinished furniture many years ago. So I decided to refinish the chest.

The process dominated my evenings and weekends as I had to strip off the old finish and sand the entire piece. Black Cherry is a very hard wood. I finished the wood with a simple Tung Oil finish.

Then I made a radical decision, since the chest was going to house my Hermes scarves, I was going to decoupage an Hermes scarf on the front. But which one would lend itself to this and one I'd be willing to sacrifice. In the end I chose Rhythm of China in the Taupe color way. If I wore it 6 times as a scarf it was a lot. The major colors in the room are Taupe with aqua accents.

I laid out and taped the scarf to my drafting table that I used to to paste up mechanical artwork in the years before Mac computers. My heart was in my mouth when I made the first cut with the Xacto knife.

The knobs were purchased at Anthropologie.

I'm really pleased with it.

The first picture is another piece from the original bedroom set, so you can see the "before" picture.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,011
  • chest 1.jpg
    chest 1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,016
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,017
  • side 2.jpg
    side 2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,011
  • bottom side.jpg
    bottom side.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,009
  • knob close up.jpg
    knob close up.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,013
Great addition to your girl cave EB! Work done by your own hand is so satisfying and you get to use it everyday.

Inspired idea to decoupage a scarf on the drawer fronts, such a very personal touch.

Wow, I would never have thought of doing that, much less carry it out! I am so impressed, it looks really great!!

I look forward to more pix as your girl cave evolves!!

Wowza ! ! ! This is amazing! You're so talented. This piece is so special and all the work and love that went into it to have something uniquely your own. Can't wait to see the rest of your girl cave. :biggrin:

Wow, you did an amazing job! I never would have guessed it was the same piece of furniture -- the "after" pic even looks a different shape, taller and thinner and more elegant. Can't wait to see the whole girl cave when it's done!

F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! Looking forward to seeing it all. Your classy taste in H (especially your recently revealed bag) and in jewelry is reflected in your cave furnishings. What a scrumptious environment you are creating.

Wow, I'm impressed by any woman who can work with her hands on such craft.. All sweat, dust and more but the finished result is certainly something to be proud of. Thumbs up!

What a fabulous job, you have brought this piece of furniture to life again, great idea using the H scarf and the handle match perfectly.
Cant wait to see your finished cave it will be stunning.