Hermes Constance - worth investing?

micheniche

O.G.
Jan 31, 2010
Hello TPFers! I have been a huge fan of Chanel bags but the other day, I entered Hermes and saw the Constance. I find it very cute and lovely but the price is a huge jump from Chanel! And for a bag that small! I know that some Hermes bags, like the Kelly and Birkin, are what most people regard as "investment bags". Does this apply to the Constance as well?

Welcome to the Hermes subforum!

If you are asking if the Constance holds its value in terms of resale, the answer is not really. Even Kellys can be had at very good prices on resale.

I think in terms of "investment" it's a good buy if you feel you will wear it a lot and therefore get your money's worth out of it. Any bag, no matter the price, is not a good buy if it just sits in your closet.

Good luck with your decision!

I agree with mistikat. Sometimes you can rationalize your spending by thinking that the prices have gone up or will go up so much, but you wouldn't get that much back if you sell your bag. The best investment to me is a bag that I buy and then love and use a lot, or use not so much but get great satisfaction every time I wear it. If I want to really invest, Hermes bags (or jewelry, for that matter), are not wear I look.

The Constance doesnt hold its value very well. Only the Birkin retains its value and then some. So, from an investment standpoint, the answer would be no. But as a Constance lover and owner, I'd say get one! I love mine. I have 4 in 3 different sizes. (Im also a Chanel flap lover and find them to be similar in many ways).

Well no to tell the truth because as said before the birkin and Kelly used to be the best option but now that Hermes makes more of them and honestly with all the Kelly birkin sidekicks as in shoulders and so kellys etc.those are not even standing a fighting chance.and the Constance I feel is a bit of a comeback that will go back, just as paisley was 2 years ago and just as rose gold watches are today honestly, I don't think it will last much.

and the kellys and birkins will continue on as Hermes icons ,if you love the bag or you are a constance fan because it is obviously a nice bag,Or will wear it for long go for it but but if you are following a trend then?????????
Hope it helps .birkel.

Last edited:
The idea of so-called "investment dressing" has always struck me a marketing tool put out by the media to rationalize the cost of big ticket items. There is no doubt that almost any Hermes bag falls into this category.

This is not to say that I have not succumbed to the rationalization of "it is an investment in my future, I will wear it till I die" myself.

So is a Constance in this category? An investment piece? Well it is one of the most classic designs that Hermes makes, but it is a bag that has come in and out of fashion. If you love it, it will serve you well. I love mine and I will keep them always.

However if you are buying it to re-sell in a few years it will not be worth the same. The Birkin will hold value better in monetary terms.

It is a matter of the heart. Not a matter of the mind.

Having owned a number of Chanel flaps, and one constance, I will say that they workmanship in the constance far exceeds that of a chanel flap. Even though it is smaller than a birkin/kelly, there is a lot of workmanship in it. That is the reason for the price.

Buy and use what you love. Don't look for an investment.

The idea of so-called "investment dressing" has always struck me a marketing tool put out by the media to rationalize the cost of big ticket items. There is no doubt that almost any Hermes bag falls into this category.

This is not to say that I have not succumbed to the rationalization of "it is an investment in my future, I will wear it till I die" myself.

So is a Constance in this category? An investment piece? Well it is one of the most classic designs that Hermes makes, but it is a bag that has come in and out of fashion. If you love it, it will serve you well. I love mine and I will keep them always.

However if you are buying it to re-sell in a few years it will not be worth the same. The Birkin will hold value better in monetary terms.

It is a matter of the heart. Not a matter of the mind.

You couldn't have said it better !! ;);)

I don't own a Constance yet but love the look of them and would buy one that sang to me pretty quickly. I just don't have the lifestyle that requires a similar bag on a regular basis, so I've just been holding back. Again, would not hesitate if one literally called to me, and trust me, that happens. :smile:

Actually, the first Hermes bag I ever saw was a Constance. I saw the price and nearly keeled over. I never looked at it again until I was able to score one at a sample sale. I feel like the craftsmanship on a Constance is a work of art in itself. Mine has a gusset and the fact that it is only 23, a larger size for it. It is so unusual, so perfectly put together. The great mystery of it is its construction. Investment bags are somewhat of a joke, as another poster said. There is no way to compare a Chanel flap to an Hermes anything; but especially a Constance. But again, look down any street in a decent sized town and you'll see plenty of Chanel flaps and zero Constances. I believe the cost of a classic sized Constance is probably close to that of a Kelly. I keep going back to the craftsmanship, but it is just unbelievable to fathom that a bag like that could be made inside out.

I think the good thing about all Hermes bags, you can always feel good when u wear them even for years....not like chanel or other brands who keep coming up with new style and you feel outdated when you wear them....so i think it is definitely a good buy . :smile:

I don't think any bag can be called an investment these days! Even the Birkin is becoming easier and easier to get. You'd be lucky if you don't lose money on them. But trying to make a buck, not likely for any bags unless they are super rare special orders (but that applies to everything).

Reactions: Elaria