Hermes Constance bag policy?

hforhermes

Oct 8, 2013
Is there some sort of policy in Hermes that only the store manager is allowed to show customers a Constance if there is one in store?

Saw one being shown to another customer who wasn't too sure of it so I asked an available salesperson if I could have a look at it if the woman wasn't interested and was told that "only the store manager is able to show the Constance" and that she couldn't be of help/service to me?

Is this true? Was really hoping to get my 1st Constance (and not paying ridiculous reseller prices) but now it seems unlikely! :sad:

Last edited:
The constance is much harder to obtain and a Kelly or a Birkin.

It is true that even though you happen to be in the store when the constance is shown to someone else - and then turned down - that you will not be able to get a chance to buy it. There are probably others who are "next in line", so to speak, so the SM/SA will give the opportunity to the "next person".

The SM/SAs also don't want a multitude of people handling a purse that can't be purchased by those people. So this is another reason why you were not allowed to look at the purse.

So while IMO the sentiment may not have been expressed quite right, the reasons for you not being able to view the purse are still the same reasons.

Doesn't mean you can't try to get your hands on one through the store though!!!

Reactions: Thaotran
i dont think thats true either. i heard that once a store gets a constance they are not allowed to hold it. it goes out on display and first to get it gets it. This could be true or false. Perhaps specific to this store. Who knows w / H!

Thanks for all your replies! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I have heard of some lucky people who managed to get the Constance just by being at the right place at the right time, which was why I was surprised to hear that from the SA.

But MrsJDS's explanation makes a lot of sense and did make me feel better about the whole situation. The Constance is such a beautiful bag, I can imagine the number of people waiting for it at any given store. Plus, I am now on vacation and was not a regular at that store.

However, I was really put off by the SA who didn't even bother helping me with shoes or scarves after that!

Oh well. I guess I should try my luck at my local store and hope that one day I will be able to do a reveal here of my own beautiful Constance! :smile:

The store manager of a boutique has the sole discretion of what to show and make available to clients. So what applies to one boutique may not necessarily apply to another boutique, and further, what applies to one customer doesn't always apply to another customer.

I can certainly see MrsJDS scenario playing out in the boutiques I frequent as I've seen it happen with birkins, kellys, etc. While one customer is being shown a birkin or kelly and turns it down, it does NOT always follow that any customer at the store at that time, may then request to see/buy that same bag.

I also agree with her point that the manager is probably going through a list to show a bag that is very difficult to obtain.

ITA with you ladies,
albeit i do think the SA could have phased her response better
and assist you with items

I do agree it can get very frustrating with h in store purchases
yet when you find the right SA
I promise everything pays off
or at least that's what i tell myself =)

Thanks again for all your replies!

I agree that shopping at H can be frustrating at times... but on good days with a good SA, you will always go home happy :smile:
I guess I will just have to wait patiently for my Constance... and come onto the forum and drool over everyone else's bag for now :drool: :drool: :drool: lol
"The longer the wait, the sweeter the reward", right? :cool:

Hope you get your dream Constance soon! I'm learning that if I plan to visit H store during my travels, I'd ask if any members can recommend a nice SA in that location--goes a long way than just walking in. Haven't been able to stop by H during my last trip but was able to get a recommendation that I'll definitely use the next time I visit that city.

Hope you get your dream Constance soon! I'm learning that if I plan to visit H store during my travels, I'd ask if any members can recommend a nice SA in that location--goes a long way than just walking in. Haven't been able to stop by H during my last trip but was able to get a recommendation that I'll definitely use the next time I visit that city.

Thank you, dear! :heart:
I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier, even though I read that thread quite often. :biggrin:

In fact, I'm planning on moving to a new city in the near future... That list will definitely come in handy!