Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

Good idea! I'd wear two shoulder-bag kellys, both from 2019, the lime one and also a big gold one --and never carried. So one was a Constance? That's a pretty bag. Can you post pix of your two bags?
@eagle1002us, what sizes are your lime and gold Kellys? The 2 bags I got in 2019 were the red B30 that I posted a pic a few weeks ago and a fuchsia Constance 24. Here’s a pic I took in Hawaii when I first got her. I have the color name somewhere; there are a few fuchsia shades that H makes and I always mixed up which one this is called. I’ll go look at the box later for the name or it’ll bug me. I didn’t even remember that she has gold HW until I looked at the pics. She’s been sitting in the box all this time. Too bad there’s nowhere I carry her to with the lockdown in place. May be when the weather warms up again, I’ll carry her when I go for a walk at lunchtime. It’s pretty much just around the block in my running shoes (I’m trying to get in some exercise since I’m usually a couch potato). Unlike jewelry, I can’t just tote her around the house. Lol.

BA20C344-416F-42E8-861B-A4E3A2C43D4B.jpeg

Reactions: Ms Stressa
Very Nice! Do you remember the price? I have a pair of Mexican silver fish earrings which I had converted to pierced from screw-backs. I used to have a nice silver fish necklace, also Mexican, that fastened in the center front., head connecting to tail. And had scales. And looked nice for many years. Now, the effect is too much of a choker, I look better in sautoirs.
They’re $14,995 on eBay. Ouch!

• Wow
That’s a great idea! Thanks, @eagle1002us. I’m sure I can find it on Amazon or Etsy. I have a few necklaces like that where the length is neither here nor there. I have one silver Tiffany necklace (my only one) that I ended up having Tiffany added a few inches but it costed $50 when the necklace was only $350. Could have used the $10 extender instead! Oh well.
I'm sure I've done the same thing with some necklaces that were too tight in the past, that is, I didn't wear some b/c I wasn't aware of necklace extenders.

@eagle1002us, what sizes are your lime and gold Kellys? The 2 bags I got in 2019 were the red B30 that I posted a pic a few weeks ago and a fuchsia Constance 24. Here’s a pic I took in Hawaii when I first got her. I have the color name somewhere; there are a few fuchsia shades that H makes and I always mixed up which one this is called. I’ll go look at the box later for the name or it’ll bug me. I didn’t even remember that she has gold HW until I looked at the pics. She’s been sitting in the box all this time. Too bad there’s nowhere I carry her to with the lockdown in place. May be when the weather warms up again, I’ll carry her when I go for a walk at lunchtime. It’s pretty much just around the block in my running shoes (I’m trying to get in some exercise since I’m usually a couch potato). Unlike jewelry, I can’t just tote her around the house. Lol.

View attachment 5077412
Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!

They’re $14,995 on eBay. Ouch!
Some sellers are really getting aggressive these days. I was browsing ebay necklaces and such and this one seller was charging 6 figures for his necklaces which were not made of rare rubies and emeralds. Then I look at his feedback and his was just as much nickel-and-dime business as the next guy. No big sales much less big big big sales.

Some sellers are really getting aggressive these days. I was browsing ebay necklaces and such and this one seller was charging 6 figures for his necklaces which were not made of rare rubies and emeralds. Then I look at his feedback and his was just as much nickel-and-dime business as the next guy. No big sales much less big big big sales.
@eagle1002us, I’m not surprised. I’ve been browsing vintage gemstone jewelry pieces made by Tiffany, Cartier, etc. and saw how much some sellers are charging especially when the items are not in a good condition (chipped, etc.) or not a unique/coveted design. By browsing online, I get a general sense of the average market price of items of the same design so either some sellers don’t think the shoppers are doing their homework or they just don’t care. It’s buyer beware, I supposed.

@eagle1002us, I’m not surprised. I’ve been browsing vintage gemstone jewelry pieces made by Tiffany, Cartier, etc. and saw how much some sellers are charging especially when the items are not in a good condition (chipped, etc.) or not a unique/coveted design. By browsing online, I get a general sense of the average market price of items of the same design so either some sellers don’t think the shoppers are doing their homework or they just don’t care. It’s buyer beware, I supposed.

As I've said, I've been interested in the history of jewelry -- mainly Victorian, Arts and Crafts (1930s), Retro (40s), 1950s, 1960s and 1970s -- co I can recognize difference styles and see how the style hallmarks carry over or are reinterpreted in newer styles. "Married" pieces are looked down on by the experts (like the people on Antiques Roadshow). One such expert used to say, "Condition, condition, condition). It is not a good idea to buy jewelry that is missing parts or needs repair. If you love it and want to bring it up to condition so you can wear it, that's one thing. The problem with repairs is that they may not blend sufficiently with the color or style of the original piece, i.e., Brits use 15 and 9 kt gold, the Victorian so-called gold substitute called "pinchbeck" doesn't match real gold. Prior repairs may have been done on the cheap with lead which has a lower melt point than silver. However, lead is corrosive and shows up as a dark stain (against silver or gold). The lead should be removed by a jeweler.

At so-called "antique" shows, I've bought a costume jewelry piece that had lead solder in it, same with some silver jewelry. It cost about $70 to get the lead out. If I knew a piece had lead I can't see myself buying it. It's better to wait for a piece in better condition to come along.

Absolutely. But, buying flawed stuff can be a teachable moment. I now more or less know what a repair with lead solder looks like.

Absolutely. But, buying flawed stuff can be a teachable moment. I now more or less know what a repair with lead solder looks like.
Good to know about lead solder and pinchbeck. I wouldn’t want to wear anything with lead in it either! One time, my now retired colleague was telling me that when she was in preschool, the teachers would give kids asbestos to use like play dough. Ack! My office building, when I used to go in the office, is a historical building and still has some asbestos and lead pipes. We’re told not to use the water from the kitchen faucet to make tea/coffee (hand washing is okay) and to use the watercooler provided instead. It’s a wonder my DDs have normal 10 fingers and 10 toes. :biggrin:

All I’m looking for is a thin band with either sapphires or rubies. I don’t usually buy gemstones especially online. I think gemstones are one of those things you need to see in person to see if you like the color. Since I was just looking for something simple, I figured it may be easier if I look for vintage bands from Tiffany, etc. They would have used genuine and untreated gemstones of good quality. There are many unscrupulous sellers out there that I can’t be sure if I’m getting a genuine article. Too bad I don’t see H making that kind of jewelry. I did browse around therealreal last night to see what interesting H silver jewelry they have but nothing exciting.

@eagle1002us, are you shopping for any particular vintage jewelry right now?

Good to know about lead solder and pinchbeck. I wouldn’t want to wear anything with lead in it either! One time, my now retired colleague was telling me that when she was in preschool, the teachers would give kids asbestos to use like play dough. Ack! My office building, when I used to go in the office, is a historical building and still has some asbestos and lead pipes. We’re told not to use the water from the kitchen faucet to make tea/coffee (hand washing is okay) and to use the watercooler provided instead. It’s a wonder my DDs have normal 10 fingers and 10 toes. :biggrin:

All I’m looking for is a thin band with either sapphires or rubies. I don’t usually buy gemstones especially online. I think gemstones are one of those things you need to see in person to see if you like the color. Since I was just looking for something simple, I figured it may be easier if I look for vintage bands from Tiffany, etc. They would have used genuine and untreated gemstones of good quality. There are many unscrupulous sellers out there that I can’t be sure if I’m getting a genuine article. Too bad I don’t see H making that kind of jewelry. I did browse around therealreal last night to see what interesting H silver jewelry they have but nothing exciting.

@eagle1002us, are you shopping for any particular vintage jewelry right now?
I used to collect 60's gold rings that were made to resemble sea anemones, coral polyps, and sea creatures, etc. They didn't cost much at that time, they were considered scrap b/c this was the 80s where classical elegant jewelry was gaining ascendency. I think I posted a picture of Andrew Grima's work. He loved texturizing rings so they looked like icicles, or perhaps stalagmites. Wish I could think of some more designs. In contrast, Elizabeth Locke, Elizabeth Gage, Seiden Gang, Bulgari etc. were doing tranquil classical designs like intaglios set in bright yellow gold. (Cigar band rings were around then, too). These were beautiful rings.
1620514461288.png
Here are some examples of Grima rings on Etsy1620514530993.png

1620514592209.png
:
1620514733788.png
Courtesy 1st Dibs

Here is vintage Seiden Gang, Etsy

1620515189261.png
Here is vintage Elizabeth Locke

1620515460201.png
I want to point out the micro-mosaic on the left which is very very classical. The Victorians went thru a classical phase emphasizing timelessness (transcending time) or stability, no change.

I can't quite make out the center charm. The one on the right could be said to reference the Esthetic phase of art which was greatly influenced by Japonaiserie motifs and culture (a trend also influencing Van Gogh). Grima's vision was nature, specifically natural forms, a totally different emphasis.

Simply put, I didn't have the best examples of Grima-style natural effects. And while I liked Victorian, it was hard to access beyond sentimental sterling silver lockets. Sooo, the sterling lockets called out for more silver jewelry. And there was Hermes. I've been pretty consistent in liking their silver jewelry.
Still like it. It's more wearable than exquisite gold jewelry. Silver jewelry has a casual vibe I believe Elsa Peretti was expressing for Tiffany.

Wow, this was a bit of a detailed essay. Hope you like it, Fabfashion! Elizabeth Locke piece courtesy of the The Definitive Collection.

I used to collect 60's gold rings that were made to resemble sea anemones, coral polyps, and sea creatures, etc. They didn't cost much at that time, they were considered scrap b/c this was the 80s where classical elegant jewelry was gaining ascendency. I think I posted a picture of Andrew Grima's work. He loved texturizing rings so they looked like icicles, or perhaps stalagmites. Wish I could think of some more designs. In contrast, Elizabeth Locke, Elizabeth Gage, Seiden Gang, Bulgari etc. were doing tranquil classical designs like intaglios set in bright yellow gold. (Cigar band rings were around then, too). These were beautiful rings.
View attachment 5078510
Here are some examples of Grima rings on EtsyView attachment 5078512

View attachment 5078515
:
View attachment 5078534
Courtesy 1st Dibs

Here is vintage Seiden Gang, Etsy

View attachment 5078547
Here is vintage Elizabeth Locke

View attachment 5078557
I want to point out the micro-mosaic on the left which is very very classical. The Victorians went thru a classical phase emphasizing timelessness (transcending time) or stability, no change.

I can't quite make out the center charm. The one on the right could be said to reference the Esthetic phase of art which was greatly influenced by Japonaiserie motifs and culture (a trend also influencing Van Gogh). Grima's vision was nature, specifically natural forms, a totally different emphasis.

Simply put, I didn't have the best examples of Grima-style natural effects. And while I liked Victorian, it was hard to access beyond sentimental sterling silver lockets. Sooo, the sterling lockets called out for more silver jewelry. And there was Hermes. I've been pretty consistent in liking their silver jewelry.
Still like it. It's more wearable than exquisite gold jewelry. Silver jewelry has a casual vibe I believe Elsa Peretti was expressing for Tiffany.

Wow, this was a bit of a detailed essay. Hope you like it, Fabfashion! Elizabeth Locke piece courtesy of the The Definitive Collection.
Wow, these are amazing pieces, @eagle1002us! I love the information. Thanks for sharing! The Grima’s dioptase ring you’ve shown is the second dioptase ring I saw in the last 24 hours. I’ve never seen a dioptase before and had to look it up. It’s so vibrant. I supposed I’m drawn to it because of the vibrant green color and had originally mistaken it for emerald. The Grima’s designs are so unique and modern. Hard to believe it’s been 60 years. The amethyst ring design is just spectacular. Reminded me of golden icicles.

81BF4DA0-B039-405F-8C83-C6D5AB55BCC2.jpg

The Seidan Gang and Elizabeth Locke pieces are very classic and timeless. Personally I prefer Grima designs for that avant-garde esthetics and a one of a kind unique look.

Once I find myself a gemstone band, I’m going to turn my attention to Hermes silver. Not the current collection but I’d like to see if I can find some unique vintage pieces.

1stDibs is a good place to browse.

Wow, these are amazing pieces, @eagle1002us! I love the information. Thanks for sharing! The Grima’s dioptase ring you’ve shown is the second dioptase ring I saw in the last 24 hours. I’ve never seen a dioptase before and had to look it up. It’s so vibrant. I supposed I’m drawn to it because of the vibrant green color and had originally mistaken it for emerald. The Grima’s designs are so unique and modern. Hard to believe it’s been 60 years. The amethyst ring design is just spectacular. Reminded me of golden icicles.

View attachment 5078811

The Seidan Gang and Elizabeth Locke pieces are very classic and timeless. Personally I prefer Grima designs for that avant-garde esthetics and a one of a kind unique look.

Once I find myself a gemstone band, I’m going to turn my attention to Hermes silver. Not the current collection but I’d like to see if I can find some unique vintage pieces.
A big book on Grima's jewelry has been published recently. Amazon has it, it's like $65 if I recall correctly. I will be getting it just not yet as I've got a bit of a stack of stuff to read.

I have various notebooks with pictures of Hermes stuff, mostly scarves and jewelry ads, there is a good sized section on Grima stuff and examples of 60's and 70's jewelry (not really anything on 80's or 90's stuff unless it's Hermes). It is sad that magazines have disappeared for the most part. But now I get pictures from the web which eat up colored printer ink like crazy.

I don't have any jewelry that is influenced by classical imagery, like those I showed you. But I like Victorian jewelry which I used to see at antique shows (no more). IMO Grima's jewelry is highly imaginative. When I was in London a gazillion years ago I asked at an antique dealer where I could see his stuff (exhibited or for sale). He sent me to Hatten Gardens which seemed to be closed when we got there. So, complete waste of time. I suspect people were storing their 60's jewelry waiting for styles to change. Now I suppose Victorian stuff is being either melted or stored, there's not much demand that I'm aware of. Jewelry's pretty cyclical. And what I learned from my experiences is that taste changes -- my taste.

I hadn't realized that ring you liked was dioptase. Emeralds come in crystals, too.

Reactions: Fabfashion