Hermes Bolide -- The Good News and the Bad News

MillStream

O.G.
May 15, 2006
Well, first the good news. Persistence does pay off. My significant other and I were visiting London a few weeks ago, and I hoped to add a Birkin, Bolide or Kelly to my collection. On Day One, we went to the Bond Street Hermes. After waiting patiently for help, we were helped by a lovely SA who told there was absolutely nothing of interest in stock. Paris Fashion week had seriously interrupted the flow of goodies to the London Hermes Boutiques. We were told, however, that we should return the following afternoon to see what might turn up. I had spotted an elegant cashmere and silk scarf in the Men's Department when we arrived and asked our SA to come downstairs to show to us. My darling man demurred at first, thinking it wasn't "for him," then tried it on. Suffice it to say that he's worn it constantly, finding it to be the perfect accessory, pretty much taking it off only to go to sleep. Day Two, we went back to Bond Street and were shown two Bolides -- one too small and one too big, and neither with the Palladium hardware I'd requested. Once again, we were told to come the following afternoon. Undeterred, we then went to the Sloane Street Hermes. There we were told again of the absence of just about everything due to Paris Fashion Week. Still on a quest, we then went to Hermes at Harrod's. Nothing there, either. Day Three, we trekked back to the Bond Street store once more and were greeted by our SA sporting a very big smile. She had pulled something for me from the day's delivery and had been eagerly awaiting our return.

And now for the specifically good news. She brought us a not-yet-opened big orange box containing a 31 cm Black Clemence Bolide with Palladium hardware -- one of the bags I'd put on my "Day One" wish list. It was love at first sight and the purchase was made.

Could there really be any bad news? Yes, indeed there is. Up until a couple of days ago the Bolide's zipper was moving freely. Suddenly, when I pulled it closed it became "caught" and difficult to pull open again. I can free it only by giving the zipper a mighty tug. Certainly not how the Bolide's zipper is supposed to work. Has anyone else had problems with the zipper on their Bolide? I live in the NY Metro Area and there's an Hermes Boutique nearby. I suppose I could stop in with the bag, although there's no craftsman at this location. I'm also torn about bringing it there because I purchased it overseas.

I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts on how to proceed.

I've never had a problem with any of my Bolides and I use that zipper many, many, many times a day (and eve).

Take it to a craftsperson. It makes no difference whereabout you bought it, it was new from an H store. H is a global brand that pride themselves of faultless well made goods and their products' everyday 'userbility', I'd be lining up to get it seen to as my right if I was you.

Bring it in. Any H store should repair it on the spot or, if the issue is more srious, replace the zipper immediately.

Congratulations on your new Bolide - a GREAT bag - and so sorry you had this issue!

Well, first the good news. Persistence does pay off. My significant other and I were visiting London a few weeks ago, and I hoped to add a Birkin, Bolide or Kelly to my collection. On Day One, we went to the Bond Street Hermes. After waiting patiently for help, we were helped by a lovely SA who told there was absolutely nothing of interest in stock. Paris Fashion week had seriously interrupted the flow of goodies to the London Hermes Boutiques. We were told, however, that we should return the following afternoon to see what might turn up. I had spotted an elegant cashmere and silk scarf in the Men's Department when we arrived and asked our SA to come downstairs to show to us. My darling man demurred at first, thinking it wasn't "for him," then tried it on. Suffice it to say that he's worn it constantly, finding it to be the perfect accessory, pretty much taking it off only to go to sleep. Day Two, we went back to Bond Street and were shown two Bolides -- one too small and one too big, and neither with the Palladium hardware I'd requested. Once again, we were told to come the following afternoon. Undeterred, we then went to the Sloane Street Hermes. There we were told again of the absence of just about everything due to Paris Fashion Week. Still on a quest, we then went to Hermes at Harrod's. Nothing there, either. Day Three, we trekked back to the Bond Street store once more and were greeted by our SA sporting a very big smile. She had pulled something for me from the day's delivery and had been eagerly awaiting our return.

And now for the specifically good news. She brought us a not-yet-opened big orange box containing a 31 cm Black Clemence Bolide with Palladium hardware -- one of the bags I'd put on my "Day One" wish list. It was love at first sight and the purchase was made.

Could there really be any bad news? Yes, indeed there is. Up until a couple of days ago the Bolide's zipper was moving freely. Suddenly, when I pulled it closed it became "caught" and difficult to pull open again. I can free it only by giving the zipper a mighty tug. Certainly not how the Bolide's zipper is supposed to work. Has anyone else had problems with the zipper on their Bolide? I live in the NY Metro Area and there's an Hermes Boutique nearby. I suppose I could stop in with the bag, although there's no craftsman at this location. I'm also torn about bringing it there because I purchased it overseas.

The madison ave store in NYC does have a craftsperson! And they don't care where you bought the bag as long as its authentic. Don't worry, just bring it in and get your bag fixed.

I've some issues too with my Bolide. The zipper is not the smoothest and could be caught at times. I wonder if it has to do with the way they sew the zipper on around the arch part. Have you tried to run a candle on the zipper as it is supposed to make it pull easier. I must say that the zipper on my Michael Kors bag (the one that looks like a bolide) is 10 times smooth and easy to pull than H.

Up until a couple of days ago the Bolide's zipper was moving freely. Suddenly, when I pulled it closed it became "caught" and difficult to pull open again. I can free it only by giving the zipper a mighty tug. Certainly not how the Bolide's zipper is supposed to work. Has anyone else had problems with the zipper on their Bolide? I live in the NY Metro Area and there's an Hermes Boutique nearby. I suppose I could stop in with the bag, although there's no craftsman at this location. I'm also torn about bringing it there because I purchased it overseas.

@MillStream if your concern is along the lines of "my usual SA will be there and will see that I purchased an H bag from someone other than him/her" you might try this workaround:

Since you're blessed to live in an area with more than one H boutique, stop in at the H boutique where you normally do not shop. For example, if you consider Madison to be your home H boutique, take your Bolide into Wall Street instead. That way you won't need to worry about encountering your regular SA, nor will you need to be concerned that your relationship with your usual SA may dim, as records of H bag purchases outside of the US are not available to US-based H boutiques to view on their computer systems.

So happy for you and your new Bolide! I hear it's quite rare to be offered a bag in London, lest you are an American living in London. Which size Bolide did you decide was "just right" for you?

Firstly, congrats on your new Bolide :smile: From my experience, the zipper on my Bolide does not run completely smoothly as well and I need to make sure the fabric surrounding the zipper is not caught.

There is no question that you should take it into Hermes immediately.
Do not attempt to do anything to it yourself.
Secondly any SA in the US should be aware of the huge price advantage buying in the UK.
If they cannot understand you taking advantage of that, they are not worth cultivating.
The savings you made might well be turned into other purchase from them.
If you have a regular SA go straight to him or her. It will also show your trust and confidence in him or her.

I've never had a problem with any of my Bolides and I use that zipper many, many, many times a day (and eve).

Take it to a craftsperson. It makes no difference whereabout you bought it, it was new from an H store. H is a global brand that pride themselves of faultless well made goods and their products' everyday 'userbility', I'd be lining up to get it seen to as my right if I was you.

I've got a call into Hermes Madison to get their advice. If I can drop it off at my local Hermes for the to send into Manhattan, that would be the simplest for me. If, instead, I'm asked to send or bring it to Hermes Madison, that becomes more of a nuisance.

Reactions: papertiger
Many, many thanks to all of your for your encouragement and words of wisdom. I'm so disappointed that my new Hermes treasure needs attention from a craftsman so early in its life. Just not anything I've experienced before with Hermes.

I've had great relationships with my SA and the boutique manager, and do feel a bit uncomfortable coming in with a bag bought overseas. Nevertheless, I need to "get over" this feeling and get this little beauty the attention it needs.

Reactions: lulilu
I've some issues too with my Bolide. The zipper is not the smoothest and could be caught at times. I wonder if it has to do with the way they sew the zipper on around the arch part. Have you tried to run a candle on the zipper as it is supposed to make it pull easier. I must say that the zipper on my Michael Kors bag (the one that looks like a bolide) is 10 times smooth and easy to pull than H.

So good to hear my Bolide is not the only one with zipper issues. The arch part of my bag's zipper works well. The problem is when I zip it entirely shut and want to secure the tab, then the zip seems to be "caught" in that position and not want to be unzipped.

Bring it in. Any H store should repair it on the spot or, if the issue is more srious, replace the zipper immediately.

Congratulations on your new Bolide - a GREAT bag - and so sorry you had this issue!

Thank you! I truly love this "under the radar" style and think it's more versatile than my Black 30 cm Birkin (which I also love).