Hermes Bolide 37 The Luxury Portal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermesFaith

Jan 15, 2010
I purchased a Hermes Bolide, from Jean, at The Luxury Portal.com, a.k.a. *****************.com, a.k.a. www.******************.com. I am disappointed with the bag, and I have doubts as to the bag’s authenticity. I thought others might want to read about my experience before they purchase from The Luxury Portal. Before I purchased the Bolide, I Googled The Luxury Portal, a.k.a. *****************.com, a.k.a. www.******************.com and I found positive reviews on TPF. My experience with the Bolide from The Luxury Portal was definitely not positive.

Jean described the bag as pristine, and only carried twice. In actuality, the bag has several small scratches on the front and on the inside, as well as pressmarks on the inside. The real issue however, is the bizarre smudge spot on the back of the bag. It looks as if the dye was rubbed off. The tissue paper inside the box has red dye marks, the box has red dye marks, and the bag smells funny. It does not smell like leather, it smells rancid. The bag did not come with the ribbon, as advertised. When I contacted Jean regarding the ribbon, she ignored my email. The fact that she ignored my email regarding the ribbon only made me more uncomfortable with the bag and its authenticity. I have not even used the bag, because I am not sure that it is authentic, and I will not carry a fake bag.

When I first received the bag and noticed the discoloration spot, I thought I would take it to Hermes for cleaning and reconditioning (although I should not have to do that with a bag that was advertised as pristine and only carried twice). I noticed the smell right away, but I did not begin to doubt the bag’s authenticity until several days later, when I took the bag out of the box and noticed the staining on the tissue paper, and the missing ribbon. At this point, I am very doubtful as to the bag’s authenticity, so much so, that I do not even want to take the bag to Hermes, and listen to them tell me that bag is fake.

The day that I received the bag, Jean emailed me to find out if the bag arrived safely. I responded and told her that the bag did arrive safely, but had several scratches as well as staining. Jean offered a refund, but I was so excited about the bag on the day that I received it; I just figured I would take the bag to Hermes for cleaning. Later, when I noticed the missing ribbon and the staining of the dye on the tissue paper, I began to doubt the bag’s authenticity.

On March 28, 2010, 25 days after I received the bag, I was definitely doubtful of the authenticity of the bag. I was also disappointed that a bag, which was advertised as “pristine” is need of reconditioning at Hermes. When I contacted Jean, she said that she and the former owner both “concur” that the bag was “99.9% new” (as if her word is supposed to convince me), and with regard to the discoloration on the back of the bag, Jean suggested that I take the bag to Hermes. Jean’s email was insulting to say the least. She advertised the bag as pristine, “with nothing to report”, and now she has the gall to suggest that I take the bag to Hermes for a “craftsman assessment”, which we all know is not possible without dropping the bag off for a spa treatment.

I am copying Jean on this post, so that in fairness, she will have the opportunity to respond. The bag that I purchased for $3500.00 from The Luxury Portal.com, a.k.a. *****************.com, a.k.a. www.******************.com was not as advertised (to say the least) and Jean should have accepted the return of the bag on March 28, 2010 for that reason alone. To be completely blunt, I strongly doubt the authenticity of the bag, and whether or not Jean was aware of the bag’s authenticity when she sold the bag, she should accept the return of the bag and correct her mistake.

I relied on Jean’s description of the bag, her authenticity guarantee, and her positive reviews on TPF. That reliance turned out to be a bad decision, based upon the fact that the bag’s description was inaccurate and Jean’s authenticity guarantee does not seem to be worth much more than the font and the html, in which it was written.

Below is the original advertisement for the bag, as well as pics of he stained tissue paper, box, and smudge spot on the bag.

http://www.******************.com/item_426/Hermes-37cm-Bolide.htm

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

Emails that document the transaction.

Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:10 PM
Subject: RE: Hermes Bolide Return

The bag is in the exact same condition as when you sent it to me. I have not used the bag because the discoloration of the bag has made me hesitant to use the bag. The discoloration has also made me doubtful of the bag’s authenticity. The very day that I received the bag, I told you about the discoloration. There is a large discoloration spot on the back of the bag, and the tissue paper has red marks from the bag, which is very weird.

The bag was not in pristine condition. Your description of the bag was inaccurate, and your response below has left me disappointed and dissatisfied. When people take a risk, a buy a bag online, they are depending upon the seller’s description. That is why accuracy and honesty in the seller’s description is of the utmost importance. Your description was at the very least, inaccurate. I do not want to asses your honesty, because that would be unfair, being that I only have this one transaction to base that assessment on. I will however, let other people who are considering taking the same risk, and depending upon your description of a bag, know about the disappointing result of the purchase of this bag due to your inaccurate description. I hope that I will be able to prevent others from ending up in the same predicament.

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 2:42 PM

I am afraid that this consignment listing is closed and the appropriate disbursements have been issued. You have had possession of the Bolide for a month. I also talked with the owner of the bag and we both concur that the bag was 99.9% new- I even went back and looked at all the photographs taken of the 37cm Bolide/Vache Liegee for which you paid $3,500.00 and will stand by my original assessment that it was in pristine condition.

If in fact what you conclude is a discoloration on the back of the bag then dropping it off at Hermes in Beverly Hills for a craftsman’s assessment may ease your concerns.

Please don’t hesitate to call upon me if I can be of any further assistance.

Inside the Orange Box
www.******************.com
www.*****************.com
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:08 PM

I have been thinking about the discoloration spot on the back of the bag, and it is driving me nuts. I have not yet had the chance to take the bag into Hermes, nor have I had the opportunity to use the bag. While I was very much looking forward to the bag, I am disappointed by, and concerned with, the discoloration on the back. Leather should not discolor that way.

Does your offer for a refund still stand? As I said above, I have not used the bag. I would send it back exactly the way that it came.

Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2010 10:06 PM
Subject: FW: Hermes Bolide

I just noticed that the Bolide did not come with the ribbon as advertised on your website.

Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:39 PM
Subject: RE: Hermes Bolide

Thanks Jean, but I did not say that I wanted my money back. I only said that there is a slight discoloration spot, about the size of a quarter, on the back of the bag. The dye is lighter in that area than on the rest of the bag, and the leather is smoother on that spot than on the rest of the bag. I will take it to Hermes and see if they are able to repair that area. The other issue is the scratches on the front of the bag, but those scratches are only able to be seen when holding the bag at a certain angle and in direct light. The scratches are not a big deal, the discoloration on the back of the bag is more of an issue.

The bag is nice and will serve me well.

I adore Hermes, and I am happy to find a good bag at a good price. I only mentioned those issues because you asked.

Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:13 PM

I am unaware of any scratches or slight discoloration on the Bolide as it was carried twice. This concerns me as I go over every bag with a magnifying glass and can spot things on bags the normal user can’t.
My description of bags are always accurate. If you feel that you received something not as described then I would be happy to have UPS pick up the bag and refund your money.

Inside the Orange Box

Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:37 PM

Yes, safe &sound.

I do like the bolide. There is however, an area of slight discoloration on the back. That area is about the size of a quarter. There are also several scratches inside the bag, and one small scratch on the front of the bag. Otherwise, the bag is perfect. I will take the bag to Hermes for re-conditioning.

Thank you very much.

Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:12 PM
Subject: Hermes Bolide

Hi there:

Just checking in to confirm delivery of your Hermes Rough H Bolide and how you like it?
Please let me know that it arrived safely.

Inside the Orange Box

If you were not satisfied with your purchase you should have accepted the refund that Jean kindly offered you. I also don't think you should post private emails between you and Jean without her consent.

Sorry to hear about your experience:sad:

I purchased a 37cm Bolide from Jean a few months ago and my experience was a positive one. The bag arrived quickly and is most definitely authentic. I was so happy with my experience that I went on to purchase an Evelyne from her. I agree that a smudge/discoloration would drive me crazy too. Perhaps you can post more photos here and on the Authenticate This Forum? For a definitive answer and peace of mind, maybe stop by a Hermes store with a craftsman onsite and see if they'll accept the bag spa treatment? You could then approach Jean about having her or seller reimburse you for the spa? Just my two cents...

First of all, can't see any discoloration in your pix. Second of all, days and days elapsed between your complaints and the receipt of the bag. Third of all, seems like buyers remorse to me. Fourth of all, I don't think that this is an appropriate place to air your emails. You should correspond with the buyer and within a more timely period after receiving the bag.

In reading it, really don't think that her email to you was insulting - are you certain that she meant it that way? Were I you, I'd bring it to Hermes to have my questions answered once and for all. It seems unfair to Jean that you would suggest that the bag is counterfeit without very solid proof - it could be very damaging to her business.

Just my two cents....

It is ridiculous for you to say the bag is not authentic based on the fact that you did not receive the ribbon in the box. You are not qualified to judge the authenticity of the bag and you won't take it to an Hermes boutique for servicing. You had the bag for a month. You are doing more to damage your own reputation than Jean's by publishing such nonsense.

If you were not satisfied with your purchase you should have accepted the refund that Jean kindly offered you. I also don't think you should post private emails between you and Jean without her consent.

It is ridiculous for you to say the bag is not authentic based on the fact that you did not receive the ribbon in the box. You are not qualified to judge the authenticity of the bag and you won't take it to an Hermes boutique for servicing. You had the bag for a month. You are doing more to damage your own reputation than Jean's by publishing such nonsense.

I was going to say the same thing that you both said!

Status
Not open for further replies.