Hermes Birkin Togo Black w/ GHW or PHW?

Mar 29, 2008
I have been putting money away on the side for quite some time for a Hermes Bag. I've decided that my first will be the Birkin Togo in Black. I know this is a popular bag, but I'm up for the challenge. The problem is -- I'm having a VERY difficult time deciding between GHW vs. PHW. I tend to wear silver/platinum jewelry, but the gold seems to look better against the black. However, sometimes I feel the PHW looks better against the black. I'm interested in hearing what you all think?

Reactions: bubsburgers
This is SUCH a personal preference! Many on tpf feel that PHW is younger and edgier. Well, I'm neither young nor edgy, so I'm a GHW girl all the way! To me, it's the classic, iconic Hermes look.

Reactions: shasha_83
This is SUCH a personal preference! Many on tpf feel that PHW is younger and edgier. Well, I'm neither young nor edgy, so I'm a GHW girl all the way! To me, it's the classic, iconic Hermes look.

lol at this but also agree 100% (which is why I sold my only black/PHW Birkin in anticipation of having 2 black/GHW birkins!!)

I love the richness of the gold against the black. I also think wearing a back with GHW when one wears primarily PHW is easier than the opposite (if a bag has PHW it looks "off" against primarily Gold, but that's me being OCD;))

If you must match your bag hardware to your jewelry, go with PHW, else GHW. Good luck:P. Not an easy choice, is it?

I rejected the 35 birkin in black Togo with GHW reason being I prefer PHW as I am always wearing white gold accessories and not much of a gold person. I agree with India, PHW will looks younger on you and GHW will look more mature. 

Since you're up for the Black-Birkin-Challenge, have you considered Ruthenium hardware? It's subtle but it tends to blend with both Gold and Silver jewelry........

My black swift is ghw I love it but I think that perhaps phw is much sportier and makes the bag sleek and minimalistic even, gold is the ever present show of baroque it enriches almost every color to a point were Hermes elegance meets the original luxe metal, and with black the point is defined more by what purpose the bag will serve. Example my bouganvillier birkin was to be a sporty travel high hue color to over accent my more minimalistic look I got it with ghw because of how pinkish coral it looked and in the end I could not find myself in love with it , I felt it was like a 1972 las Vegas suite as in too much, so I changed it for a phw and all was right .
With black you can have the same or a very particular effect my swift is a work horse it's beautiful as is because but it looks more like a vinatge first birkin because of the gold so perhaps phw is more 90s, yes as in minimal sober basic in shape and style but it's less complicated ,again its very personal but with black the decision lies in the following concepts

Classic baroque Versailles or minimalist sleek chrysler building is you can answer that fast then you have it !

If the esthetic of Versailles is for you the gold,if its the Chrysler building then phw ,I find it helps to move from bags to bigger scale things if the allure of one of them is more appealing to you than the other ,again you have it ! Its the subconscious that tells the truth and we tell it through something you can not buy .hope it makes sense and helps birkel.
I

Reactions: califl
You said that you mostly wear silver-toned jewellery, so I'd say PHW, definitely! Not only because they will go together better, but because of what birkel actually explained very well in the previous post.

And actually I think that Jane Birkin's original Birkin was with PHW. But in my opinion both PHW and GHW are classic.

I don't think it's true that PHW is younger and edgier, while gold is more classic and mature.. I'm 22, and I've always preferred gold-toned metals over silver-toned.. and consider myself quite edgy :rochard: :lol: