Hermes birkin stamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamitiff

Jul 20, 2008
I just bought my first Birkin.. a 35cm black Togo gold hardware.. but I noticed that the stamp is not as crisp as some of the pictures show online. The bottom of the "France" bleeds slightly into the pebbles underneathe them, if that makes any sense. Is that normal? Should it be very very crisp?

Thanks!!

If purchased directly from the Hermes boutique then there are no worries...each is handmade so there are bound to be little "personality quirks"....

You know I totally get you even as a hand made product and even though I understand this I understand you more for noticing it my bags have to have the perfect stamp color look accent symmetry all of it when I ordered my ostrich I asked specifically that the stamp and resin be very well done, if a pore from the ostrich interrupted the stamp I wanted it very well pressed, they did it and even though I understand that to them the birkin is designed to be a closed model and like the Kelly and that it it won't show, to me it's important. if your bag is perfect and this detail has been established look at it as the beauty of the art that is Hermes but ........ Keep it in mind for the next one darling best hope it helps ,birkel.

Oooo and a note , the only one time a stamp should bother you is if it starts peeling of like tiny fractions of it with time it will change and even fade a little this is not what I'm referring to though I mean if it peels or if the resin looses strength and peels off send it in I learnt the hard way and Hermes was nice enough to accept the problem but keep an eye open it's one in a million but as I said it's just a note darling . Again best. Birkel

I bought a 30 Birkin in black Togo about two months ago and my stamp looks similar to what you have described. I assumed that because the Togo leather is so textured that the stamp just can't be perfect like it is on one of the other smooth leathers.
Can you post a picture?

Thanks for being so helpful Birkel! The reason why I'm asking is b/c I'm very petite .. 5'1'' but I got a 35cm b/c I've always loved big bags. And because I just had a baby I thought I'd carry some of his stuff in there if I needed to on the weekends. But looking at some pics after the purchase, I've noticed that many ladies carry 30cm if their frames are smaller. I'm a fulltime working mom so I figured a 35cm is good for work too. I always get buyer's remorse no matter what I buy! And I live in Manhattan where many girls seem to carry larger bags (I THINK, or maybe i'm just biased b/c I like larger bags). Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. :smile:
dreamitiff

Tottally get you I love manhattan lived there a wile back miss it like crazy I'm a tallish but thin slim not very shapely at all person and I wear 35 and 40 all the time even though I look like a lamp post with a bulb like those old Parisian belle époque ones , I still love grand maxi bags I wear all the way up to the 40 and I adore them. the maxi bag is here to stay , I'm moving into more of a Kelly phase but still 35 cm kellys so enjoy your birkin darling best.birkel.

Last edited:
You know I totally get you even as a hand made product and even though I understand this I understand you more for noticing it my bags have to have the perfect stamp color look accent symmetry all of it when I ordered my ostrich I asked specifically that the stamp and resin be very well done, if a pore from the ostrich interrupted the stamp I wanted it very well pressed, they did it and even though I understand that to them the birkin is designed to be a closed model and like the Kelly and that it it won't show, to me it's important. if your bag is perfect and this detail has been established look at it as the beauty of the art that is Hermes but ........ Keep it in mind for the next one darling best hope it helps ,birkel.

Oooo and a note , the only one time a stamp should bother you is if it starts peeling of like tiny fractions of it with time it will change and even fade a little this is not what I'm referring to though I mean if it peels or if the resin looses strength and peels off send it in I learnt the hard way and Hermes was nice enough to accept the problem but keep an eye open it's one in a million but as I said it's just a note darling . Again best. Birkel

birkel: good to know I am not the only one obsessed about my stamps! :sweatdrop: I get so paranoid about them I sometimes call for the SA or my buyer to check the stamp specifically!!! If it is not "perfect" I won't even take the bag. I have seen some bags with a very "off" stamps- some even looked like they were missing a part of the H or É... Due to the leather creasing and color setting in unevenly... I love my bags to be 100 percent "well" done (please do not get me wrong- they are all lovely and superbly crafted) with each detail in place. I know they are all handmade and little imperfections make each bag unique, but I carry my bags open all the time therefore I need the stamp to be perfect too.

dreamitiff: I am sure your bag is super nice, but just my thoughts- I have found that the gold stamps tend to "bleed" or be slightly "off" more often than silver. Also, with stiffer leathers, the stamp looks more tidy and even than with Togo or CT due to the nature of the leather, its softness and creasing. It is by no means a defect- it is just the case of some stamps being more "perfect" than others. Enjoy her in good health! Such an elegant and timeless combo!:flowers::flowers:

Congratulations on your purchase. These bags are handmade and as such have their own little individualities. Did you buy it from an Hermès store?

If purchased directly from the Hermes boutique then there are no worries...each is handmade so there are bound to be little "personality quirks"....

:flowers: Agree totally.

There is no way a customer can expect the H stamps to be crisp and perfect. On smooth skins like boxcalf, swift, etc, the stamps will look better than the stamps on grainy skins like clemence, togo etc. Even on croc, the stamps may not look crisp because the uneveness of the scales can get in the way.

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies, ladies! i walked into the madison store since i work right in the area, and the craftsman happened to be there. i asked him and he said it is perfectly normal to have it uneven and he sees it all the time with togos. and he mentioned that if people do need to fix their stamps, it's only done in france (which is different from what i've read so perhaps i misheard!). thanks everyone on the well wishes. i will go and enjoy my bag now!

Congratulations. I'm also 5'1 and have two 35 birkins. One is made of togo and the other swift. I never really gave the stamps much thought since I bought both from the H store but I took them both out and compared them. Mrssparkles is right, the swift one is perfectly centered and straight whereas the Togo is a tad off. Definitely due to the pebbly nature of the leather. Live and learn something new everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.