Hermes Birkin or Chanel Classic Flap?

Go with the Birkin or the Jumbo Classic Flap?

• Hermes Birkin

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Chanel Jumbo Classic Flap

Votes: 9 16.7%

• Total voters

iqaganda

Rica
O.G.
Nov 26, 2006
I think this would be the most unbiased place to ask this question...

My mind is set on buying Hermes Birkin after my purse ban but with the non stop Chanel price increase, will it be wise to buy my Chanel dream bag first or go for the Birkin love??

If you can only have one, then hands down I would pick the birkin over the jumbo flap. If you are set on owning both, then I can see why you would consider getting the jumbo first. Both Hermes and Chanel raise their prices regularly, but Chanel has been doing it much more frequently. I think the main thing to consider would be how long you think it would take you to get the birkin that you want, and how much time you need between the purchases.

Some things to think about... How are you planning on acquiring your birkin: from the boutique, from a reseller, or pre-loved? If you want it from the boutique, then you will need time (and luck) to build a relationship with a SA. Getting a birkin through the boutique takes patience and usually a significant purchase history as well. If you purchase elsewhere, then you will not need to wait but you will pay a premium upcharge. Also, how picky are you about the specs? There are far more leather and color options for the birkin than there are for the jumbo. And size - obviously the jumbo is the one size, but the birkin comes in different sizes. If you are set on a specific size/leather/color/hardware combo, then it can take longer to find your dream birkin.

So if you were to go the boutique route, knowing that you might have to spend several months (maybe even years) building a relationship and waiting for the perfect birkin, then you could go ahead and get the jumbo first while waiting (take into account though the funds you’ll have to spend to build that history with your Hermes SA).

If you plan to get your birkin through a reseller or pre-loved and you can find the one you want in a relatively reasonable timeframe, then get the birkin.

I think this would be the most unbiased place to ask this question...

My mind is set on buying Hermes Birkin after my purse ban but with the non stop Chanel price increase, will it be wise to buy my Chanel dream bag first or go for the Birkin love??
Would you ever consider buying a Chanel preloved? Chanel doesn’t usually hold its value very well on the resale market, so you can probably find a really nice jumbo preloved at a significant discount. I just saw the prices of the increase and it is crazy. I *personally* could not pay that price for a Chanel bag, especially considering the decline in quality and the quality in general (compared to Hermes) I’d much rather buy a birkin. I have a Chanel Jumbo that I purchased 11 or 12 years ago I think for $5,000. I used the heck out of it, and it is still in amazing condition. I think the older bags are made better, so don’t be afraid of those on the resale market.

If you can only have one, then hands down I would pick the birkin over the jumbo flap. If you are set on owning both, then I can see why you would consider getting the jumbo first. Both Hermes and Chanel raise their prices regularly, but Chanel has been doing it much more frequently. I think the main thing to consider would be how long you think it would take you to get the birkin that you want, and how much time you need between the purchases.

Some things to think about... How are you planning on acquiring your birkin: from the boutique, from a reseller, or pre-loved? If you want it from the boutique, then you will need time (and luck) to build a relationship with a SA. Getting a birkin through the boutique takes patience and usually a significant purchase history as well. If you purchase elsewhere, then you will not need to wait but you will pay a premium upcharge. Also, how picky are you about the specs? There are far more leather and color options for the birkin than there are for the jumbo. And size - obviously the jumbo is the one size, but the birkin comes in different sizes. If you are set on a specific size/leather/color/hardware combo, then it can take longer to find your dream birkin.

So if you were to go the boutique route, knowing that you might have to spend several months (maybe even years) building a relationship and waiting for the perfect birkin, then you could go ahead and get the jumbo first while waiting (take into account though the funds you’ll have to spend to build that history with your Hermes SA).

If you plan to get your birkin through a reseller or pre-loved and you can find the one you want in a relatively reasonable timeframe, then get the birkin.

Would you ever consider buying a Chanel preloved? Chanel doesn’t usually hold its value very well on the resale market, so you can probably find a really nice jumbo preloved at a significant discount. I just saw the prices of the increase and it is crazy. I *personally* could not pay that price for a Chanel bag, especially considering the decline in quality and the quality in general (compared to Hermes) I’d much rather buy a birkin. I have a Chanel Jumbo that I purchased 11 or 12 years ago I think for $5,000. I used the heck out of it, and it is still in amazing condition. I think the older bags are made better, so don’t be afraid of those on the resale market.

Thanks! Both reasoning are good and makes sense! :smile: I am thinking I would go for reseller / preloved route for my birkin as my eyes are set for the 35 gold togo phw... for the jumbo caviar, I am not sure. I was hoping to buy it in the boutiques but with the price increases, I might go for preloved as well. I am just afraid that if I go for the birkin first, I might hAve to pay premium for the jumbo... or if I get the jumbo first, it will take me a long time saving once more for the birkin...

I don’t believe in buying bags to sit in a shelf so I would look at what style works best for your lifestyle. What do you carry? Will you have places to bring it? The birkin is very pretty to look at but is handheld and can be a pain to buy. The jumbo doesn’t fit a ton of stuff but has multiple ways to wear it.

I found both bags a little on the louder side. I have had a few jumbos over the years and have kept one in my collection but for my lifestyle right now, it’s too loud for me and doesn’t fit my daily essentials unless I carry minis of things. However, I wouldn’t buy a birkin since I have my Celine luggage and realized hand carry only doesn’t suit my lifestyle either.

I wouldn’t let price increases drive you and would encourage thoughtfully picking the bag that’s right for you.

Thanks! Both reasoning are good and makes sense! :smile: I am thinking I would go for reseller / preloved route for my birkin as my eyes are set for the 35 gold togo phw... for the jumbo caviar, I am not sure. I was hoping to buy it in the boutiques but with the price increases, I might go for preloved as well. I am just afraid that if I go for the birkin first, I might hAve to pay premium for the jumbo... or if I get the jumbo first, it will take me a long time saving once more for the birkin...
I can totally understand. The question I would ask is which one do you want more. Personally, I always try to buy the most expensive one that I can afford first. Because there is no guarantee I will be able to afford it later. Then later on, the less expensive one will be easier to save for. But I think you should buy what you like the most first! Another thing, in the coming months I imagine the market will be saturated with preloved bags due to economic struggles. Perhaps wait a bit and see if the prices go down for both bags.

I prefer Birkin because of practicality, 30cm is good size not to heavy, but 35cm looks better on me coz I’m tall, once you get used to carrying it, It’s more like an everyday bag, especially Togo leather. Also from my experience with the Birkin you need to be confident while carrying it lol, because yes it is a status symbol bag and you will attract a lot of attention, even when you are dressed down casually.

Reactions: Tasha1 and iqaganda
Thanks! I actually prefer the Birkin, and I am more of a top handle girl so it’s no problem for me. As for standing out, it is pretty common in HK to see people travelling in the tube wearing Hermes so neither that, I do not have a problem. What concerns me the most is that maybe later on if I buy the Hermes first, I’d have to pay an arm and a leg for the Jumbo.. but for priorities, my heart is set for the Birkin. I’d definitely wait, a couple of month or so to see the market. Do you think going for the B is a reasonable one?

Reactions: ladyd14
Thanks! I actually prefer the Birkin, and I am more of a top handle girl so it’s no problem for me. As for standing out, it is pretty common in HK to see people travelling in the tube wearing Hermes so neither that, I do not have a problem. What concerns me the most is that maybe later on if I buy the Hermes first, I’d have to pay an arm and a leg for the Jumbo.. but for priorities, my heart is set for the Birkin. I’d definitely wait, a couple of month or so to see the market. Do you think going for the B is a reasonable one?
It sounds like your heart is set on a birkin. I would go with that. I really doubt the price for a Chanel jumbo will skyrocket so high on the resale market. The trend is still (mostly) mini bags, and I think lots of people are holding off on buying nonessential goods at the moment. You may even see more jumbo’s flood the market soon. Also, the size 35 birkin you want is also not as “popular” to buy on the second hand market due to the bigger size. You will probably be able to find one in excellent condition for close to retail. I think above all, go for the one you want/love. You can never go wrong.

I agree with what’s already been said...get the bag that you want the most first. Based on your replies, it sounds like the birkin is higher on your priority list.

And I also second what’s been said regarding the recent decline in Chanel quality. Vintage Chanel bags are, in my opinion, much higher quality in terms of craftsmanship. If you’re not opposed to buying preloved, I think you’d have a good chance of finding a great jumbo on the preloved market, in which case there’s no real rush to get the jumbo now.

Reactions: iqaganda
Thanks ladies! Birkin it is! Yes, I think I’d prefer 35 for my first bag as most size of my handheld bags are around that size.. It’s a bit tricky to carry but I am ok. I wanted 35 gold togo (or should it be epsom??) because I wanted my very first B to be versatile whether it’s gonna be a mom bag, for travel, for work, etc. I can put off buying the Jumbo as I have the Reissue in almost the same size and probably works the same with it. Thanks for the opinions ladies!