Hermes bags and what you wear with them..................

May 6, 2007
I have posted something similar before but I am still hunting for comfortable, slightly fashion forward, versatile clothing. I recently stumbled across a line called Marni. Some of the stuff was a little too "rich bag lady" for me but some of things were very cute. Any thoughts on Marni? Any other recs? I like trim skirts and pants but loose comfortable tops. I hate tucking things in...cause I have a gut!:P

Hermesaholic, if you like Marni and comfortable edgy fashion there is a super budget option called Cos. It is a brand in the H&M group with very fashionable cuts, at affordably prices. I love to shop there for work clothes and travel outfits.

Another option I love are DVF dresses, they are very easy to take from day to evening and look stunning. I have a couple which look sooo perfect with my birkins.

I think one can often get the "edge" one wants with jewelry and shoes and still just buy very simple, inexpensive classic clothing. Black pants, white shirts, various colored tanks can be combined with edgy, interesting jewelry and shoes (and an edgier haircut!) and produce the effect one wants without buying clothes that quickly appear dated.

I am a big fan of Abercrombie & Fitch (don't laugh; I know they're not edgy, but I really love their knitted tops-- they go so well with H shawls worn around the neck in winter!), H&M, Zara and Karen Millen, along with some more high-end labels like Alexander McQueen, See by Chloe and Armani Collection. Marni is a bit too out there for me, but then I tend to buy my staples or long-term statement pieces from the high-end labels and then supplement them with frequent purchases from the high street labels which can easily be donated or recycled when they date or become unwearable (some things are really of dire quality).

Honestly, I love to wear my H bags with a mix of high street and designer, and then to add on H accessories-- scarves and especially shawls, as well as little bits of jewellery here and there. Something as simple as a CDC and a shawl can make a big difference to an outfit and take it from toally boring to totally chic in the blink of an eye, IMO! And like India said above, a good haircut that can be styled a number of different ways makes a huge difference-- something I have only just learned in the last month or so!

I am a big fan of Abercrombie & Fitch (don't laugh; I know they're not edgy, but I really love their knitted tops-- they go so well with H shawls worn around the neck in winter!), H&M, Zara and Karen Millen, along with some more high-end labels like Alexander McQueen, See by Chloe and Armani Collection. Marni is a bit too out there for me, but then I tend to buy my staples or long-term statement pieces from the high-end labels and then supplement them with frequent purchases from the high street labels which can easily be donated or recycled when they date or become unwearable (some things are really of dire quality).

Honestly, I love to wear my H bags with a mix of high street and designer, and then to add on H accessories-- scarves and especially shawls, as well as little bits of jewellery here and there. Something as simple as a CDC and a shawl can make a big difference to an outfit and take it from toally boring to totally chic in the blink of an eye, IMO! And like India said above, a good haircut that can be styled a number of different ways makes a huge difference-- something I have only just learned in the last month or so!

what do you mean?

If you like Marni, have you tried Dries Van Noten? They make beautiful tunics, dresses and coats. More tailored than Marni and not as whimsical, but it still has a bit of that edge.

If you like Marni, have you tried Dries Van Noten? They make beautiful tunics, dresses and coats. More tailored than Marni and not as whimsical, but it still has a bit of that edge.

no i havent but i will take a look. i like the loose fit of Marni and the cotton...i dont mind wool for coats and jackets but not for dresses or anything touching to much of my skin.

I'm a simple girl, and I would tend to dress as India describes. When I'm going simple, I love my jeans with an Anne Fontaine blouse and a gorgeous H scarf as the real focal point. I adore almost everything by Marni, but not all of it looks very good on me. I also really like wearing Eskandar with my bags, and the whole point of Eskandar for me is the combo of utterly comfortable loose fit and very soft, luxurious textiles. I love your comment about "rich bag lady" because that's more or less how my mom refers to me, lol.

what do you mean?

Some of the colors and styles are so unconventional that I feel I would get too much attention when wearing them. :sweatdrop: They're beautiful pieces aesthetically, but I don't feel I can personally "pull them off". I'm horribly conscious of myself when it comes to pulling off stand-out outfits-- before I got into H, I had been wearing nothing but black, white, grey and occasional bits of red since my mother stopped dressing me! I felt too conspicuous when I wore anything else, and was always terribly conscious that I was doing it wrong somehow when I tried to pair up colours.

I'm getting a lot better now-- since the H obsession began, I've found a new love for blue and green, and renewed my love of red through shawls and scarves. You just can't resist those rich H shades! But I think I'll always be a little bit afraid of trying anything too cutting-edge with my clothing, alas.