Hermes Bag-Am I being Unreasonable? Thoughts please!

• Thread starter Deleted member 626500
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 626500

Hi-I just received this-it was a Christmas present to myself. This bag, purchased from a Japanese seller, was described as being in excellent condition. The photos showed no slouching whatsoever. It looked like a new bag. This is what I received.
I've purchased most of my bags from the store.
Am I being unreasonable to be less than happy with the appearance of this bag? I would love your comments.

Attachments

• Orange Kelly E - 1.jpg
    Orange Kelly E - 1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,660
  • Orange Kelly B - 1.jpg
    Orange Kelly B - 1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,667
  • Orange Kelly D - 1.jpg
    Orange Kelly D - 1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,675
  • Orange Kelly C - 1.jpg
    Orange Kelly C - 1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,669
Yes, here they are. There were no photos of the sides. The leather itself is in beautiful shape.
By the way, the above photos are of the bag filled-it is not empty, so the above photos reflect the shape of the bag with my wallet, cell phone, pouches, etc.

Attachments

• s-l1600-13.jpg
    s-l1600-13.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 1,637
  • s-l1600-14.jpg
    s-l1600-14.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 1,625
  • s-l1600-17.jpg
    s-l1600-17.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 1,622
I think it looks beautiful! Many people love the slightly soft and slouch look, which is one of the traits of retourne as well as swift leather, compared to Sellier. As previously suggested, perhaps a bag insert will provide the structure you were hoping for. It really has a nice soft look to it though.

Reactions: vinbenphon1
To answer your question- no you are not being unreasonable in expecting a bag that was advertised as excellent condition to actually be in excellent condition. The bag being beautiful or gorgeous has nothing to do with the glaring fact that it’s not in excellent condition. I also don’t think the task of preventing it from slouching should be incumbent upon you unless you got a really nice deal.

I kinda like it !!
Leather goods are supposed to be used and abused , and is looks used but not abused .
Put a tall shaper/insert in it for the “smart” look , and take it out for the “casual” look .
Best of both worlds ..

Looks like it would even collapse enough to fit in a plane locker !! :cool:

Ultimately, if you like it buy it and if you don’t like it don’t buy it .

Reactions: saskiamoet
To answer your question - yes I think you are
It does not appear to be damaged in any way; it appears to be in excellent condition

HOWEVER . . .

How old is the bag? related to that, is the amount of slouch reasonable that leather or the for its age?
Does its condition match the seller's pictures? Do you think it was misrepresented? Or, looking more closely now, can you see slouching that you had not noticed before? I think they do: the seams are softly curving - not crisp and straight - you can see a bulge.
Excellent does not mean Like New - although many of us might choose to think it does, if that us what we are looking for.
How did the price relate to other comparable bags?

There is no doubting it is a handsome bag - but if it not what you want to live with, that is not much consolation.
Why not contact the seller right away and explain why you are disappointed*** with what you received?
Try for a sympathetic response and don't be confrontational. Ask if it is possible to return it and get a full refund.

*** you did not expect it to be as slouchy as it is

Last edited:
To answer your question- no you are not being unreasonable in expecting a bag that was advertised as excellent condition to actually be in excellent condition. The bag being beautiful or gorgeous has nothing to do with the glaring fact that it’s not in excellent condition. I also don’t think the task of preventing it from slouching should be incumbent upon you unless you got a really nice deal.
Thank you--that's my thinking. While The Cat mentioned that bags should be used and abused-I have 15 year old Hermes bags that I bought new and look new. I'm very careful with my leather goods and I'm not at all abusive, so this rankles--still-I'm trying to talk myself into it because I wanted something new . . .
thank you Gigllee for your two-cents!

Reactions: Gigllee
To answer your question - yes I think you are
It does not appear to be damaged in any way

HOWEVER and unfortunately your seller pictures are not showing for me.
How old is the bag? related to that, is the amount of slouch reasonable that leather or the for its age?
Does its condition match the seller's pictures? Do you think it was misrepresented? Or, looking more closely now, can you see slouching that you had not noticed before.
How did the price relate to other comparable bags?

There is no doubting it is a handsome bag - but if it not what you want to live with, that is not much consolation.
Why not contact the seller right away and explain why you are disappointed with what you received.
Ask if it is possible to return it and get a full refund.
In the light of that response decide to return, keep or dispute.
The original pictures are posted. Item #1 are photos of the bag that I received. The photos from the sellers listing appear in Item #3.

Thank you--that's my thinking. While The Cat mentioned that bags should be used and abused-I have 15 year old Hermes bags that I bought new and look new. I'm very careful with my leather goods and I'm not at all abusive, so this rankles--still-I'm trying to talk myself into it because I wanted something new . . .
thank you Gigllee for your two-cents!
For what it's worth, I don't think the bag looks very nice, I'd return it-looks old and misshapen relative to the seller's pictures.

Take no heed of what I say , I’m a guy !!! :biggrin:

I’ve bought vintage box leather bags , both perfect and scratched .
Even sent back to Paris for full restoration including new hardware .
I prefer “history” ....

But then again , apart from work boots my newest shoes are a pair of kickers 2-3 years old :biggrin: