Hermas stamp

ty30

Jun 9, 2010
Hi
I saw a Kelly bag at reseller's shop. It s brand new and beautiful. The shop has a good reputation and sell only authentic handbag.

However, the Hermes stamp above the buckle is not clear (Not the same as normal Hermes standard). they said it s hand made so this could happen. (sorry but no photo to show, the leather is Togo)

My questions are
1. is it possible that the stamp is not clear (ie, not in a sharp line)
2. if the stamp is not good/clear, will it affect the price.. ie, lower price like a defect one ?

Thank you.

I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain that Kelly bags don't show up at sample sales. And, if they did, I don't think that the "S" would cover the Hermes stamp. On my two sale bags, the stamp is in other places. I think I might run from that bag or ask to take photos and have it authenticated.
Just my opinion.

The blind stamp is to denote the year of production and who made the bag, and yes, it's hand stamped so should be uneven, some very faint. The Hermes made in paris stamp from what i heard is machine stamp, along with the cutting and the placement of all hardware and bits to the bag. There should be no variation in that stamp.

At the end of the day, you are paying for the bag, not the stamp.... But if that bothers you, don't buy it. It should not effect the price of the bag.

A long long time ago, there were Kellys on sale. So, depending on the age of the bag and when it was produced, it could be a sale bag.

That being said, the one you saw may not even be a sale bag.
It is true that the stamps are done by hand, and sometimes are too faint, not clear, or simply omitted (although how they pass QC is a question I'd like to ask..)

If you are just gauging authenticity of the bag based on the stamp, please step away from the bag and do not buy. There is more to the bag to determine its authenticity. A correct stamp does not mean it is authentic. A wrong or missing stamp does not mean it is inauthentic.

If you cannot determine authenticity on your own, please, please, please don't buy it.

If I understand you correctly, you're referring to the Hermes Paris Made in France stamp that is above the turnkey? I have not had the great privilege of seeing this done in person, so hopefully the tpfers amongst us, who had actually witnessed it being done at a H atelier can help explain if it's done by hand.

As for variation in the stamp, in terms of clarity, font thickness, etc ... there is. Even in the same year! Yes, it's absolutely possible that the stamp is not clear. The type of leather (skin) makes a big difference in how the stamp looks. In smooth skins like boxcalf, swift, vache natural, barenia, just to name a few, the stamp is clearer. The stamp on grainy skins tend to look smudged.

The stamp in itself should not affect the price. But it can influence one's assessment of its authenticity if there are other aspects of the bag that have become questionable. In other words, it is NOT the ONLY consideration of authenticity. Hope this helps.

If you are just gauging authenticity of the bag based on the stamp, please step away from the bag and do not buy. There is more to the bag to determine its authenticity. A correct stamp does not mean it is authentic. A wrong or missing stamp does not mean it is inauthentic.

If you cannot determine authenticity on your own, please, please, please don't buy it.

So true - sometimes on older bags the stamp is so faint it is hard to read - I just got a Constance, can't really tell if it's an M or N or maybe even a K. And it is also possible to have just the straps replaced - I once saw a vert bronze kelly whose previous owner had replaced the handle and straps (in a gold color) and the new straps had no blindstamp.

When looking at a bag, you need to consider the overall shape and dimensions, the font, the hardware (is it consistent gold or platinum? or is it rubbing or mixed colors?), and the feel of the leather. You can gain experience by carefully inspecting your own bags or any bag you see at a consignment store or auction, whether or not you are seriously interested in purchasing it - the more bags you have seen, the better a feeling you will have for what is legit and what is not.

It's completely possible that the stamp is not clear.

I picked up a brand new (made in 2010) Black Togo Birkin in April 2010. WHen the SA took it out of the shrinkwrapped box, the stamp was coming off. I tried to live with it but ultimately couldn't so sent it back to Paris where it was restamped free of charge.

I wrote about it here:
http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/bad-stamps-can-we-do-anything-585314.html

It is not defective and easily rectified, but I would use it as a way to get some money off the price (so you can send it to spa), when you can get it redone anyway. Because I bought mine from the boutique, they dealt with it, but from a reseller you may have to pay to get it done in Paris, hence you should get it done when you send it to spa anyway.

Hermes don't (intentionally) allow any defective items to leave the store. If the product gains a defect such as a scratch or other damage whilst in the store then they will not sell it. It will be sent back to Paris/craftsperson for repair.

if the stamp is not good/clear, will it affect the price.. ie, lower price like a defect one ?

Hermes don't (intentionally) allow any defective items to leave the store. If the product gains a defect such as a scratch or other damage whilst in the store then they will not sell it. It will be sent back to Paris/craftsperson for repair.

Hi Justin *waves*

If the stamp is coming off, it's not classed as a defective bag. If it was truly defective than it would not pass quality control in Paris, prior to shipping to the boutiques across the world. (The SA/SM didn't know how mine passed quality control).

If the product gains a defect when in store, then I agree they will not sell it.

However, if it comes out of a shrinkwrapped box i.e untouched since leaving the factory - they can still sell it. The stamp was bad in my case, they sold it to me, but it was pointed out at the time of sale and I was told I could have it rectified later if I could not live with it. A bad stamp can be rectified fairly easily. Other defects may be more difficult to deal with. I took the bag home as I was days away from going abroad and desperately wanted to take it with me, which I did, and got it dealt with on my return.