Here's a new one

*Heather*

TIME OUT
Aug 9, 2009
I just tried to bid on an item from a seller. I have never seen this before, and can someone explain WHY a seller would put this kind of restriction on their auctions?

Sorry, you are not allowed to purchase this item

This item is only available to buyers who have not purchased 1 or more items from this seller in the past 10 days.

You can contact the seller for more information, or find similar items offered by other sellers.

I had bid earlier on an item from them, btw. Weird.

It is one of the boxes sellers can tick when they set their restrictions (the last one I think), and I assume it serves to deter non-paying bidders. I have a friend who had 20 auctions or so that were all won by the same person, and the buyer never paid, which is obviously really annoying.
Maybe to get around not wanting to combine shipping for buyers? I any case, it is legit.

Um, just a thought. Feedback from the same buyer/seller doesn't count if it is more than one item in a 10 day period. It's far fetched, I know, but maybe they want the additional feedback? Still seems off though.

ETA: Just saw a much better explanation. Nevermind.

It is one of the boxes sellers can tick when they set their restrictions (the last one I think), and I assume it serves to deter non-paying bidders. I have a friend who had 20 auctions or so that were all won by the same person, and the buyer never paid, which is obviously really annoying.
Maybe to get around not wanting to combine shipping for buyers? I any case, it is legit.

Thanks for the explanation. It does seem a bit farfetched to have to deter NPBs this way. I imagine they are losing out on a lot of sales. They are in China, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

It would be quite easy to tick the box without really reading what it says, as it's just under all those that filter out people with negative feedback, from countries you don't post to etc.
I always leave that box out, but if English isn't their first language they may have just ticked everything without noticing.