Help! Would you keep a bag with this kind of scratches even though it was bought on sale?

Elleova

Nov 14, 2015
I just received Coach Saddle bag with western whiplash detail and sadly it has some white discoloration and scratch(es) on the front flap. I bought it 50% off on Coach.com. This is Coach 1941 bag so I was happy to pay only half.

Now I am not sure if I should keep it. Unfortunately the flaws are on the front of the bag. I hope you can see from the photos (I tried to take pics at slightly different angles). I could send it back and order a replacement bag but I feel like it is going to be flawed in some way or another again.

Would you keep this bag? If you bought bags on Coach.com on sale did they get to you scratched? Is this something to be expected since I am not paying full price? Thank you!IMG_4332.jpgIMG_4337.jpgIMG_4338.jpgIMG_4341.jpg

I had the Whiplash Rogue arrive with scratches on the feet a glue mark on the inside and just looked used. I took it back to my local store. They ordered me a replacement, shipped it Next Day and made a note to keep packaging on it. It arrived perfect! I would take it back and have your SA order it for you. If that is an option. Otherwise I would still order a different bag if you can't get to a store.

Looks like they are still in stock on Coach.com, so I would see if you can get another if it is convenient for you to return.

I personally, since shipping back from Canada for me is expensive, a pain in the butt, and I don't live near a store...I would just try some leather conditioner on it or to even work on rubbing it with my finger to release the oils in the leather a bit. It is smooth glovetan leather so I would expect it to scratch over time, but I can understand not wanting a brand new bag to arrive with scratches.

I would return or exchange it.

It's from the Coach store, not a secondhand store so it should be in new condition regardless of sale. If you bring it to the attention of an SA or customer service, I'm sure they will make it right.

Wow normally I would just try some leather cpr, but that is pretty beat up. I can't believe they would send that out!

Are you in USA? If so, I would order another and compare which looks better, then use the free return shipping label to return the worst one. BTW, e-bates has 12% back at coach.com today, so you'll get a bit more back too.

Reactions: RayKay
Wow normally I would just try some leather cpr, but that is pretty beat up. I can't believe they would send that out!

Are you in USA? If so, I would order another and compare which looks better, then use the free return shipping label to return the worst one. BTW, e-bates has 12% back at coach.com today, so you'll get a bit more back too.
Thank you for a tip with e-bates, and what kind of leather cpr do you have in mind?

I had the Whiplash Rogue arrive with scratches on the feet a glue mark on the inside and just looked used. I took it back to my local store. They ordered me a replacement, shipped it Next Day and made a note to keep packaging on it. It arrived perfect! I would take it back and have your SA order it for you. If that is an option. Otherwise I would still order a different bag if you can't get to a store.
My olive rogue came with scratched feet too. One foot was more copper than black copper it was scratched so bad. Unfortunately, that bag was sold out at that time, so I kept it. I figured the feet would scratch eventually. Still kind of bugs me though, especially since I've been using the western whiplash for 3 weeks now and no marks to the feet.

Thank you for a tip with e-bates, and what kind of leather cpr do you have in mind?
The brand is called leather cpr, it works miracles (spot test first.) I use that or Blackrock leather n rich the most, but blackrocks is very thick (and smelly) and takes a while to absorb so in the interim, the leather feels sticky.
Those marks look more like scuffs, where a finger nail was rubbed across rather than the usual scratches glovetan leather gets. I'm not sure if those would disappear once the leather softens or not.

My olive rogue came with scratched feet too. One foot was more copper than black copper it was scratched so bad. Unfortunately, that bag was sold out at that time, so I kept it. I figured the feet would scratch eventually. Still kind of bugs me though, especially since I've been using the western whiplash for 3 weeks now and no marks to the feet.

I would have kept mine too if there were no more in stock when I went back but like I told my SA, I know eventually the feet will scratch but I prefer to be the one that gets the scratches on them.

The brand is called leather cpr, it works miracles (spot test first.) I use that or Blackrock leather n rich the most, but blackrocks is very thick (and smelly) and takes a while to absorb so in the interim, the leather feels sticky.
Those marks look more like scuffs, where a finger nail was rubbed across rather than the usual scratches glovetan leather gets. I'm not sure if those would disappear once the leather softens or not.
Thank you, I've never heard of the product before. If I don't return the bag I might try it. Sounds like it's a useful product to have around anyway.

Reactions: holiday123
I would have kept mine too if there were no more in stock when I went back but like I told my SA, I know eventually the feet will scratch but I prefer to be the one that gets the scratches on them.
It's unpleasant to have any flaws on your newly purchased item! The more feedback I am getting here the more I am leaning towards returning this bag. To have scuffs on the front flap is just too noticeable :sad:

It's unpleasant to have any flaws on your newly purchased item! The more feedback I am getting here the more I am leaning towards returning this bag. To have scuffs on the front flap is just too noticeable :sad:

I think you should return/exchange. The saddle 35 bag I have has been used some time, and isn't close to developing these scratches/discolorations in the pictures.