Help with white marks on bag base

Finch Leather

Apr 17, 2017
England
Evening all, is anyone able to offer some advice on how I can remove these small white marks on the base of this black leather bag?
Going to need a little bit more info to offer advice, such as:

Do you know the origin of the white marks?
How do they feel when you run your nail over them? Chalky? Paint like? Sticky?
What have you tried so far?

Add anything else that may be relevant and I'll offer my advice.

Phil

Ebby

Aug 30, 2010
Thanks Phil, I have no idea what they are. They don't feel raised/sticky/chalky or anything - they feel like part of the bag if that makes sense. I tried using a wipe on them but to no result.

Finch Leather

Apr 17, 2017
England
Can you tell me about the leather? If I use terms you dont understand just google them and check the spec sheet of your bag online.
Is it a pigmented or aniline finished bag? Does it have a plastic feel to the surface? Sometimes leather can bloom where fats used in the tanning can come to the surface. This would be unusual if pigmented with a surface finish.
Use a hairdryer and carefully warm the leather (if it's too hot for your hand, the bag won't like it either!) Around the marks, don't use the hair dryer for too long in one spot. If it is fat bloom then it should soak back into the leather. Try this first then we can eliminate that possibility and move on to the next.

Phil

geraldine.rmg

Arete Goods
Jan 13, 2016
Singapore
www.aretegoods.com
Usually I would use Saphir's Renomat cleaner to remove stains on my leather goods. If that doesn't work because the stain is quite old, I would use their black cream polish to cover the stains - works all the time, especially for black leather.

Reactions: Finch Leather