Tech Help with shortcut for photos on a PC

danae

frou frou
O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
NYC
While viewing pics on Windows Photo Gallery, my ex once tried this shortcut and could instantly see the image as it was taken (ie. before any photoshop/other program adjustments were made). It didn't pop up in a new window, it was the same one and I *think* when you release the keys it goes back to the newer settings, post-photoshop. Anyone knows what it is? It's been bugging me for ages so I'd appreciate any input.

Echoes

Aug 8, 2008
The only way that could be done is if an old, unaltered version was also on the PC and the program somehow connected the two files. I suppose PS could archive images but I don't know how another program could know that.

Generally, once you alter an image and Save it, the old version is gone once you close the editing program. I have seen programs that have a Re-Open type function that will discard all changes and revert to the original, but once you close the program, that no longer works for that image.

Nov 18, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The only way that could be done is if an old, unaltered version was also on the PC and the program somehow connected the two files. I suppose PS could archive images but I don't know how another program could know that.

Generally, once you alter an image and Save it, the old version is gone once you close the editing program. I have seen programs that have a Re-Open type function that will discard all changes and revert to the original, but once you close the program, that no longer works for that image.

Thats correct (to my knowledge). Saving a file in its altered state doesnt create a new version of the picture or file, it basically removes the name (what keeps the file intact and whole) of the orignal file and assigns that name to the changed picture. This is why saving is worse that actually deleting a file. When you delete a file its usually recoverable. So when you delete a file from a folder and then drop another same named folder in you have a deleted copy in the trash or (SOMEWHERE) in your pc's cyberspace. However when you copy a new file with the same name into a folder and it asks you if you want to replace the file it doesnt delete and then replace it just pulls and assigns the name of the file to the new file and the older one is basically left nameless and with nothing holding it together.

I once remotely dropped a large older database into a folder that had the current smaller compressed database and lost about 4 weeks of pretty much non recoverable data.