Help with RTW sizes

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Can anyone give any guidance as to the sizes? What does a 36 or 38 correspond to in other designer lines?

2. I only have two pieces of RTW. A silk dress and a cashmere knit top. The dress is a 38, and I normally wear a size 10-12 (more often a 12, but it depends on the brand). I was shocked that anything in the H RTW dept fit me; as it is, the dress is a bit snug around the shoulders. On the other hand, I tried on a size 38 in another style of dress (medor halter dress with the leather neckline that was at the sales this summer), and could barely get into it. My SA said that the fabric and cut really affects the fit, so she had me try on as many sizes as possible.

3. I wear a 4 for pants and skirts in US sizes, and I wear a 36 in Hermes pants. I typically wear a 6 in tops and find that I need a 38 or 40 in H tops. In jackets, I have to size up because many of them are cut for a more flat-chested frame.

Hermes sizes seem a bit larger to me than other designers like Louis Vuitton or Roberto Cavalli (I wear anything from a 38 to 42 in these).

Hope that helps a little ;)

4. Based on my experience with Hermes RTW, their 36 is comparable to most medium sized clothing from other European designers (although my SA thinks their 36 RTW is "smallish medium.")

FWIW, I usually wear size 34 for Hermes clothes (cardigans, etc) but I can also fit into their size 36 coats. I usually wear size 2 for American designers and size 36-38 for most Italian brands.

5. jedimaster, you have to try on each piece of H RTW. Some cutting are true to size, some small, and some large. I own H RTW from sizes 34, 38, 40, 42 ... :shrugs:

6. #6 Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    I agree with mrss, there is no 'standard' sizing. I range from a 34 to 38 depending on the style/cut/type/season of the RTW collection. Same goes with H shoes as well, I have 37, 37.5 and 38.

7. This is helpful - thanks! I am between a 36 and 38 it seems in shirts and sweaters, I should try both.

8. 34: size zero xsmall
    36: size zero to two small
    38: size two to four small
    40: size four to six medium
    42: size six to eight medium

This is more or less French sizes . I am 5'6 which is about 170 cm and would always go for 40 tops-jackets and 36/38 pants. I am about 52 kg. I wear 85 Hermes belt. Hope this helps.

9. #9 Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    Sorry double post :smile:

10. 34: size zero xsmall
    36: size zero to two small
    38: size two to four small
    40: size four to six medium
    42: size six to eight medium

This is more or less French sizes . I am 5'6 which is about 170 cm and would always go for 40 tops-jackets and 36/38 pants. I am about 52 kg. I wear 85 Hermes belt. Hope this helps.

11. This really helps - I am a 2 to 4 - 38 seems like the right place for me to start, size wise.