Help with Rhuthenium hardware issue

msjackson

May 22, 2006
Hi. The Rhuthenium hardware on my Birkin is badly scratched. Is this normal? Can it be fixed/replaced?

Attachments

• hardware.jpg
    hardware.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 120
  • hardware2.jpg
    hardware2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 162
  • hardware3.jpg
    hardware3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 106
I'd just take it to the store and have them do a spa treatment and see how that works....ask them to replace it if they can't polish it. I'm sure there will be a cost to that so be prepared...

What is the difference between "brushed" and Rhuthenium? Or, is it brushed Palladium. I'm confused! Sorry. Do you have an idea of what they might charge to fix/replace the hardware?

What is the difference between "brushed" and Rhuthenium? Or, is it brushed Palladium. I'm confused! Sorry. Do you have an idea of what they might charge to fix/replace the hardware?

I had rhuthenium hardware replaced on my BBH last year and it was around $400-$500 dollars; I can't remember the exact figure.

yes this hardaware is a bit more delicate it could of happened with the actual strap holders

as a question in general can the hw be replaced with out changing the actual straps ?

This actually looks corroded. Not sure if you are in a damp environment but that could be the cause. Ruthenium is part of the platinum group of metals and is considered to be a fairly hardy metal.

It looks like brushed hardware. The brushed pattern is very uniform across the whole plate so it doesn't look like it's scratched. "brushed" refers to the plate having a "matte" effect instead of a shiny (polished) effect and ruthenium is the metal used to plate over the brass(?), so they have either gold plated (gold), palladium plated (silver coloured) or ruthenium plated (dark greyish colour). But I agree with bag snob, it looks like the plating's come off. msjackson, would you by any chance have applied any sort of metal polish on it (like some kind of 'Brasso')? Otherwise it might be the plates scratching against the 2 strap holders over time. Luckily H can replace it!