Help with new bag/old bag number

Shannbar

O.G.
Feb 6, 2007
Do any of you experts out there think this is odd? I bought a brand new Chanel bag from Sak's about two weeks ago. The serial number is 7 digits starting with an 8. According to the reference library, this indicates the bag would have been made in 2003-2004. Is this not correct? Or if it is, is it odd that Sak's would have this bag for 3 or 4 years? Thanks for your help!!!

I think it is a version of a classic. It is 10x5x2 black lambskin with square (not diamond) quilting. The SA told me that they sold "quite a lot of these at Christmastime." But this was the last one they had left.

I've never heard of any policy on how long they hold stock{?}
I'd just assume it's there until it sells, whether it be at full price or on sale.

The info regarding the serial number dates I got from the "Helpful Tips Regarding Authenticity" thread.

The bag is identical to this one listed on Ebay (except in black). A Chanel person told me that this style has been discontinued.

eBay: 100% AUTH CHANEL QUILTED LEATHER BAG PURSE TAN BEIGE (item 320081755570 end time Feb-18-07 13:58:48 PST)

I can understand bags being around for a while but for 3-4 years???? This seems odd to me as I would think that department stores would move their stock after a period of time. Has this happened to anyone before? I guess I am just concerned that this was a used back that the store took back as a return or something.