Help with my skin!! Gals with sensitive skin r/o

loriw

O.G.
Jan 13, 2006
All of a sudden - everything is irritating my skin - breakouts, etc. I have always had a bit sensitive skin but everything right now is bothering it. Those of you with sensitive breakout prone skin - what do you use? Also - my skin is dry which just adds another wrench into the mix!

I found the less products I use the better. There was a time I'd constantly try this or that. Now I just stick to basics: Neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser and Yonka creme 83 for sensitive skin. This s/b great for dry skin too. Thats it! Once a week I use chanels exfoliator, very gentle. I also have slight rosacea and think all that other stuff was bothering it. Of course my foundation has a sunscreen. If the weekend and no makeup I use neutorgenas sunskin, dry formula, spf 30. Of course I use eye creme, right now dior's 60/80.

My skin is like yours. If it's irritated - just leave it alone and it will settle down. Don't touch your face unless you have to (habitual touching/rubbing of the skin just makes it red and transfers dirt and bacteria onto it which causes spots), just wash your face with cold water, and use moisturiser sparingly (the oil won't help your spots go away). I use an exfoliating pad lightly when I'm in the shower, it helps with the dryness to stop it flaking. Generally, the less you mess with it, the better.

My skin is like yours. If it's irritated - just leave it alone and it will settle down. Don't touch your face unless you have to (habitual touching/rubbing of the skin just makes it red and transfers dirt and bacteria onto it which causes spots), just wash your face with cold water, and use moisturiser sparingly (the oil won't help your spots go away).

^^Good advice. Your hands are filled with bacteria. I ALWAYS am touching my face not knowing it, I guess it's just a bad habit! I would just wait it out, trying different products will just irritate it. And dont look in the mirror!! I try to stay away from the mirror when I have breakouts, because it always looks WORSE in the mirror. If your skin is dry and you dont use moisturer I would recommend cetphil creme. check out the reviews on MUA. I love it.

try Cetaphil cleanser it really works for me and it doesn't dry out my skin
i got this from their website:

Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleanser is great for daily makeup removal or as part of a skin care regimen to treat the dryness caused by topical medications used in the treatment of acne, fine lines and wrinkles. Originally formulated for dermatologists, it is gentle on your skin and sensitive to your skin’s needs. Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleanser will not strip the skin of natural protective oils or emollients, or disturb the skin’s natural pH balance. It is fragrance-free and non-comedogenic, making it an excellent choice for daily facial cleansing.

Alter your diet, make sure you eat at least a tomato and an apple a day.
As for skincare, I recommend Purity Made Simple by Philosophy, it's made mostly of natural herbs and is soap-free so will not irritate skin. If your skin is dry you might either be living in dry climate or don't drink enough water or both. A gentle moisturizer like LUSH's Celestial will help. Both products, a little amount will go a long way. For the time being, a spot reducer with tea tree oil or salicylic acid will do once a day before bedtime. Don't overdo it.

The biggest thing I've done to help my sensitive skin is to completely eliminate any products with salycilic acid and sodium laureth sulfate in them. Sodium laureth sulfate is a lathering agent that is in a TON of stuff including shampoos and toothpastes. Of course I can't do without shampoo but I make sure I rinse my body and face very thoroughly after coming into contact with shampoo. Also I noticed lots of breakouts on my chin and realized that sometimes slopping toothpaste there was causing the problem.

I use LaRoche Posay Toleraine's skin care line. The foaming cleanser is really good and does not irritate my skin. It is pricey but a little goes a long way so it lasts forever. I purchase mine in Canada where it is a little bit cheaper.

http://skincarerx.com/review_box.html?pid=374

I also use Neutrogena dry touch sunscreen. My skin is oily, sensitive and I have rosacea, so I have to be careful about ANY chemicals.

When I need moisture especially around my eyes I use a tiny bit of La Mer cream in that area. For those who swear by Cetaphil cleanser, be careful. It's loaded with sodium laureth sulfate as well.

it would be worth going to have a chat to a counter like clinique - they have extra gentle 3 steps, and a 3 step system will improve your skin :smile:

if its very sensetive like mine dont use much of the toner(cleansing lotion....) it made my face red... I also tried using the 7 day scrub after 4 days my face broke out so much you would have thought i always had acne :sad:

Refrain from using Clinique 3 step in any formula if you have sensitive skin. I used the extra gentle one and my skin broke out into acne first then a bad bout of eczema. Had to be put under strong meds for 6 mths and to date I still have the scars.

You might try the Verite line from Estee Lauder. Especially the calming fluid. They leave out harsh chemicals and fragrances. They are made for sensitive skin. I use this line about once every 3 months to keep any irritation in check.

if its very sensetive like mine dont use much of the toner(cleansing lotion....) it made my face red... I also tried using the 7 day scrub after 4 days my face broke out so much you would have thought i always had acne :sad:
Yea, their stuff has been bad news for my picky skin. When my skin is reacting to something, I stay all natural (or try to). A Soap free cleanser (like Alpha Hydrox's cleansers), and Sweet Almond Oil (at health food stores) as a moisturizer are my stand by when I need something SUPER gentile. As hard as it is, I agree to leave it alone and let it settle by itself.

wow really?? and clinique claim to test each product over 7000 times, and if there is one reaction they change it :s

They can test it all they want but they never disclose their cut-off %. I've worked in skincare and cosmetics industry before. Every time skincare manufacturer labs do a reaction test they have results. For example 18% showed allergy/sensitivity, and their benchmark might be set at 20%. Since 18% is lower than 20% they can go ahead and launch the product. Not many skincare companies disclose their test results. I do know that Olay, Lancome and Shiseido are fairly transparent to the public with their statistics. I think the FDA doesn't really regulate the results, that's why you hear of excessive quantities of lead in certain brands of lipstick in the news only like 5+ years after their launch.