Help with LeDix gold tag FBF find - fix up or leave alone?

westlamom

Oct 16, 2013
Hello wonderful TPF members - I'm a long time lurker but not poster. I bought two pre-loved Bals several years ago, then decided I couldn't stand it and needed more. I went looking for an inexpensive First to use for evenings out, and found this a few months ago (and a 2013 work yesterday so I really need to stop!). Thanks to my obsessive reading of this forum, I saw this bag and knew to purchase it immediately (got it from a from a high-end consignment store I visit on occasion). It is not the pristine Le Dix gold tag flat brass first that everyone else seems to own, but it is still beautiful, was inexpensive, and I love it. So - the leather is lovely but definitely faded and maybe dry in some areas, especially on the top left of the bag, and the seams/edges? all seem to be exposed. The handles are actually in great shape though. My question - should I try to condition the leather, or leave it alone? Should I get a quote from LovinMyBags for edge repair (which would be extensive and probably not in the cards any time soon budget wise) or just leave as is? I've read numerous posts about conditioning bags with Leather Honey, etc. Just scared to touch this early bag LeDixtag.JPG LeDixhandles.JPG LeDixtag.JPG LeDixhandles.JPG LeDixtag.JPG LeDixhandles.JPG LeDixcloseuppost.JPG LeDixoverview.JPG , and I'm okay with leaving it alone if that might just be the best thing. Thoughts???

Reactions: ksuromax
Congrats on this absolute beauty! Though not pristine, this bag is in lovely condition in my opinion, especially taking into account that it is approx. 17 years old. It is only a little faded & the thing with the exposed edges is quite normal on these bags when they have been used. The handles look to be in nice condition too, not too much softening or fraying to the lacing. I'll let others chime in on whether you should condition the leather as I generally don't worry about. I prefer to leave the older bags as original as possible. I really I just clean them up & replace broken tassels :smile:

Reactions: peacebabe
Agree with jeanstohandbags. This bag is in great condition considering its age. IMO, those "flaws" which you mentioned can be easily fixed by yourself. If needed, just condition only the part which you feel dry.

Go read up the maintenance thread. Lots of useful DIY tricks ! ;)

Thanks all. I think the edges will be left alone, at least they're all like that so it's sort of uniform lol. Might think about a little conditioning for the leather, if anyone else has a strong opinion let me know :smile:. Will spend a lot more time on the maintenance thread. I just want to do right by the bag (my husband thinks I'm insane by the way, but I know you all get it!).

Thanks all. I think the edges will be left alone, at least they're all like that so it's sort of uniform lol. Might think about a little conditioning for the leather, if anyone else has a strong opinion let me know :smile:. Will spend a lot more time on the maintenance thread. I just want to do right by the bag (my husband thinks I'm insane by the way, but I know you all get it!).
A fine make up brush and a bit of Vernis leather paint will fix up those edges and improve the look of the bag, but that's just my opinion. A lot of people would just leave her as is, I'd do that small bit of touch up if she was mine.

Reactions: LostInBal