Help with leather? togo? clemence? what do I have?

Ugh, I'm so sorry to add to the confusion, but I think RC's Birkin could be Clemence; I own four bags in Togo with the oldest being from year G, and the degree of veining varies among all four (from barely there to very evident), but it is still existent on all four, and even though you cannot tell at first glance, the pictures will show the veining. See Japster's picture in HG's post (#16); the gold has some very thin veining happening. I have four bags in Clemence---the textures vary slightly but are still much smoother when you run your hand down the surface--the Togo definitely feels more "prickly" for want of a better word. RC this last test probably won't help you b/c your BB Clemence is going to be a lot smoother regardless....I was with HG that day and that BB was so smooth we totally thought it was Swift. At the end of the day, there is so much variation with the leather as GF and HG have already mentioned, and your bags are absolutely gorgeous. If you have a chance, see if you can get Claude to take a look.

That's what I thought too when I looked at them side by side. The black looks much grainer.
Does anyone have something in both togo and clemence? if so, could you also post a side by side? thanks!
HG, oh expert of leather, what do you think?

In gold, this is clemence on the left and togo on the right and the 2nd photo, clemence on top on my Picotin and below togo on my agenda. I think tho' that it varies within the leather plus, based on an unscientific test of just these 2 pieces, they seem to smell different!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• clemencetogo1.jpg
    clemencetogo1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 489
  • clemencetogo2.jpg
    clemencetogo2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 444
Ugh, I'm so sorry to add to the confusion, but I think RC's Birkin could be Clemence; I own four bags in Togo with the oldest being from year G, and the degree of veining varies among all four (from barely there to very evident), but it is still existent on all four, and even though you cannot tell at first glance, the pictures will show the veining. See Japster's picture in HG's post (#16); the gold has some very thin veining happening. I have four bags in Clemence---the textures vary slightly but are still much smoother when you run your hand down the surface--the Togo definitely feels more "prickly" for want of a better word. RC this last test probably won't help you b/c your BB Clemence is going to be a lot smoother regardless....I was with HG that day and that BB was so smooth we totally thought it was Swift. At the end of the day, there is so much variation with the leather as GF and HG have already mentioned, and your bags are absolutely gorgeous. If you have a chance, see if you can get Claude to take a look.

I agree with orchids. I was also hesitant to post since I didn't want to add to the confusion, but I'm almost positive that yours is Clemence. Two of my Clemence bags in the same color are SO different in grain size and degree of smoothness that you wouldn't believe they were the same leather, but they are. There's a lot of variation in Clemence texture.

Style--the degree of variation on Clemence was quite surprising to me until HG pointed out some variations in the swatch book. Allaboutnice, but of course, how could I forget the smell test! Togo has a very distinct, lovely, leatherly aroma to it, whereas Clemence, well, does not. The faint aroma I could pick up from Clemence was not quite as pleasant--a bit more gamey if that makes sense.

Update on the transvestite.
Now that I have my lovely togo raisin, I studied them side by side, weight, smell, slouch, stiffness, softeness, etc (I need a life) and I swear the only difference between the two is my togo has visible veining and the black one doesn't...I am still confused but the black behaves much more like my raisin than my bb clemence.

Bring it into NYC (we can use that as an excuse to meet up for lunch) and have Claude confirm what it is.

that is a fabulous idea:yes: . I also have to return a pair of shoes to Bergdorf that I have had since Jan but keep forgetting to bring in....maybe they will let me exchange them for a fabulous mousse!