Help with Goyard Tote Choice- from Canada!

SharriH

Aug 10, 2020
Hi all! New here on PF and from Canada! Goyard is willing to do distance sales although there are a few extra fees with it being full wire transfer, a fee for that, the shipping, not to mention the conversion and then those surprise duties!!!

I’m in the same dilemma as many of you.... I started off wanting the St. Louis PM, but when I FaceTimed with my sales associate it looked so small! I know it’s supposed to be the same as the Neverfull MM. I’m 5’1, a bit curvy and def have muscular shoulders so I worry the PM shoulder drop will be uncomfortable. Plus I need to think about colder months and a heavier jacket. That led me to reconsider the LV neverfull....but it’s so common I would really prefer Something else! I love LV and have a few other bags from them but just want this purchase to be a more unique daily tote. I’d like to occasionally have it fit my Macbook and enough stuff for travel. My contact at Goyard also cautioned against daily use of the St. Louis and not for laptop etc....

So I’m back to trying to figure out if I should get the Artois- but the PM is smaller than the St.Louis PM, so that would mean the MM in the Artois. Does anyone have any advice?! I feel like I’ve read every post, seen every YouTube video- and I can’t go to a store to try them....

TIA!!

I have the Artois MM in grey and love it, fits comfortably on the shoulder. I'd guess it's between an LV Neverful MM and GM. It's def not as big as my NF GM.
I'll get a St Louis or Anjou in white soon, but to wear only in summer without coat/bulky sweater due to handle drop.

SharriH, I’m probably about your height and have a big shoulder for my size. I love the St. Louis, but over a moncler puffy, there is not much room left. I’m looking at the Artois MM too bc of swankys recommendation above ^. I’ve gotten rid of my LV MM NeverFull limited edition, and I could just kick myself bc I should have kept it and if it pops up again on resellers sites, I’ll probably repurchase. The LV GM is huge on me, like a carry on luggage tote, but that’s JMO. Apologies for the bizarre iPad photo.
A3ADAEFA-2B90-4B68-B03F-5E5BFB931421.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Artois MM in grey and love it, fits comfortably on the shoulder. I'd guess it's between an LV Neverful MM and GM. It's def not as big as my NF GM.
I'll get a St Louis or Anjou in white soon, but to wear only in summer without coat/bulky sweater due to handle drop.
Thanks so much! that is definitely helpful in terms of understanding the sizing. If I could have them all I'd definitely get a fun PM St. Louis too.... but right now I have to pick one!

Reactions: 880 and Swanky
SharriH, I’m probably about your height and have a big shoulder for my size. I love the St. Louis, but doubt I can fit it over a full coat in the winter comfortably. I’m looking at the Artois MM too, in part bc of swankys recommendation. I’ve gotten rid of my LV MM NeverFull limited edition, and I could just kick myself bc I should have kept it and if it pops up again on resellers sites, I’ll probably repurchase. The LV GM is huge on me, like a carry on luggage tote, but that’s JMO.

Thanks so much for your insight... Would you pick your LV Neverfull MM over the Artois MM you are considering?

It might not help you if i day that at some point, I will probably get both. . But. the Artois has a zipper. . . So for a work bag in a cold weather environment, that is a plus. ( I can feel my DH rolling his eyes bc I don’t exactly choose bags for practicality. And, I think I’ve had unusually good luck with the St. Louis, in that my handles never cracked ( they did crack on the Goyard marquises though). I find the St. louis pretty sturdy. The PM is not small, though it may appear so bc its collapsible. . . Swanky had a thread on her Artois, I thought. . . . It may also come down to if you prefer the slouch of the St. Louis over the structure of the Artois. . . By the way, the St. Louis GM is enormous and the shoulder drop is not much greater than the pm ( I tried it on once, but it did not come home with me bc it felt like luggage.firgot to add, my mom likes Faure le Paige ( sp?) and they have a zippered tote). So I guess, I would advise, get what you love, and if it’s not practical, then buy a 70 usd tote from Etsy that can carry your work stuff? :smile: sorry, I know this is not very helpful! if you decide on the Artois, pls post an action pic!

Last edited:
Reactions: earthygirl
It might not help you if i day that at some point, I will probably get both. . But. the Artois has a zipper. . . So for a work bag in a cold weather environment, that is a plus. ( I can feel my DH rolling his eyes bc I don’t exactly choose bags for practicality. And, I think I’ve had unusually good luck with the St. Louis, in that my handles never cracked ( they did crack on the Goyard marquises though). I find the St. louis pretty sturdy. The PM is not small, though it may appear so bc its collapsible. . . Swanky had a thread on her Artois, I thought. . . . It may also come down to if you prefer the slouch of the St. Louis over the structure of the Artois. . . By the way, the St. Louis GM is enormous and the shoulder drop is not much greater than the pm ( I tried it on once, but it did not come home with me bc it felt like luggage.firgot to add, my mom likes Faure le Paige ( sp?) and they have a zippered tote). So I guess, I would advise, get what you love, and if it’s not practical, then buy a 70 usd tote from Etsy that can carry your work stuff? :smile: sorry, I know this is not very helpful! if you decide on the Artois, pls post an action pic!

This is exactly the tough-love kindda response I needed! I really haven’t figured out what I want to use it for. I don’t carry a laptop daily- but want the flexibility to do it- but I also have other bags that could serve that purpose. Ok. I will ponder some more and let you know! Good to know the shoulder drop isn’t that much more on the Gm and that I should take that one out of the running! Also helpful to know you think the PM isn’t “small!” I find it so hard to judge from how it looks on others!

• Love
Reactions: 880
I actually gave my Neverfull MM away in favour of my St Louis PM because I love the SL so much. I have slightly bigger shoulders too and it fits on me just fine when I'm wearing a jumper or a thin jacket, I could fit it over my shoulder at a push when wearing a padded coat :biggrin: - it also fits a lot in it, and is stronger than people make out. I've had no quality issues at all and it's usually my bag of choice, I even carry groceries in it. I carry my laptop to work in it and it's fine :biggrin: Goyard offer leather corner reinforcements for an extra cost if you do develop wear or if you want to avoid wear on the corners altogether. The little pouch that comes in the PM is such a handy size.

• Love
This is exactly the tough-love kindda response I needed! I really haven’t figured out what I want to use it for. I don’t carry a laptop daily- but want the flexibility to do it- but I also have other bags that could serve that purpose. Ok. I will ponder some more and let you know! Good to know the shoulder drop isn’t that much more on the Gm and that I should take that one out of the running! Also helpful to know you think the PM isn’t “small!” I find it so hard to judge from how it looks on others!
thanks! Swanky, hope it’s ok that I post your thread link here? If not, pls delete

also, here is a Goyard PM ( with my birkin30 inside only to give you an idea of capacity — I wouldn’t carry the birkin inside normally :smile: also, IMO the handles are quite strong, and I would definitely be able to carry my laptop (also in the photo) in it sometimes, but I still probably wouldn’t load it and abuse it like a neverfull. HTH!
image.jpg

Reactions: Swanky
Hi all! New here on PF and from Canada! Goyard is willing to do distance sales although there are a few extra fees with it being full wire transfer, a fee for that, the shipping, not to mention the conversion and then those surprise duties!!!

I’m in the same dilemma as many of you.... I started off wanting the St. Louis PM, but when I FaceTimed with my sales associate it looked so small! I know it’s supposed to be the same as the Neverfull MM. I’m 5’1, a bit curvy and def have muscular shoulders so I worry the PM shoulder drop will be uncomfortable. Plus I need to think about colder months and a heavier jacket. That led me to reconsider the LV neverfull....but it’s so common I would really prefer Something else! I love LV and have a few other bags from them but just want this purchase to be a more unique daily tote. I’d like to occasionally have it fit my Macbook and enough stuff for travel. My contact at Goyard also cautioned against daily use of the St. Louis and not for laptop etc....

So I’m back to trying to figure out if I should get the Artois- but the PM is smaller than the St.Louis PM, so that would mean the MM in the Artois. Does anyone have any advice?! I feel like I’ve read every post, seen every YouTube video- and I can’t go to a store to try them....

TIA!!
I’ve tried on the bags you’re considering. I’m 5’4”. The st. Louis pm looks slightly smaller than the LV neverfull mm. I like the way both of these bags look on me. The St. Louis gm is overwhelming except for when the sides are folded in, but looks sloppy imho. I had two but sold them. The artois pm is small and purse like...did not look like a proper tote. I don’t like the look....it is something my mother would carry though. The artois in the mm size will easily fit a laptop but looks overwhelming on my frame for anything other than a travel tote. I think it looks borderline silly on my 5’4” frame.

I don’t own any neverfulls because I’m not an LV fan. If I needed a workhorse tote I’d probably purchase a faur Le page daily battle tote. it’s more sturdy than a St. Louis and more sizing options than the artois.

hope this helps

• Love
I’ve had a black/brown Artois MM for a year now and it is a great work tote. I also have a neverfull MM and got one in a special edition (Karakoram) so it’s not so common. I hardly use the neverfull because I love the Artois. The Artois has a larger footprint than the neverfull though. I’m 5’5” and for me, the Artois is too big and structured to use as a casual weekend run around errand bag. I think the St. Louis pm with the slouch and the look is perfect for that. I didn’t buy it though because I’m nervous about the wear and tear and the handle drop too. I recently got a Moreau celestin in pm size as my small casual bag. I also considered a moynat Oh! Tote. The Artois pm is more handbag like with its more rigid structure and the zipper.

I have a PM Artois and I love it! It is one of my most used bags. It holds about the same amount as Neverfull MM, except that it has a zipped closure, so it is not as wide towards the top of the bag. I had the St. Louis and sold it as it showed wear and tear very quickly and I knew it wouldn't hold up over time. I absolutely would not hesitate in getting the Artois in the PM size. I have completely stopped using my Neverfull. Good luck making your decision.

Reactions: c18027
Well! Thank you TPF and all those that replied! I ordered my PM St Louis black on black- and went through Bergdorf and they were great! No wire transfer, no extra fees, no sign your life away distance paperwork! It’s on its way to me! If I fall madly in love with it and still miss the zipper I’ll go for the MM Artois in grey!!! Really appreciate all your advice!

sharriH, so happy for you! Pls post action shots when you receive your Goyard PM, and if you decide on an Artois MM or Poobags suggestion of a Faure le Paige Daily Battle or Moynat oh tote, it would be great if you could post comparison shots! your thread has also been so helpful for all the different suggestions other TPFers have chosen for their weekend/weekday totes! :smile:
Earthygirl, I’ve been struggling to lose some weight, am three inches shorter than you, and also found the Goyard GM luggage like on my frame. But, in reading your post. I’m now wondering if the Artois MM would make my butt look thinner under the general principle that big bags make one look diminutive ;) there should be a way for stores to computer generate figure with ones proportions to model the bag before you buy. . .

Last edited:
Reactions: earthygirl