Help with getting my mom a Christmas gift!

digby723

Back to reality
May 2, 2006
Ok, my sister and I are completely and utterly stuck. we have no idea what to get my mom for Christmas, when we asked her what she wanted, she said socks! :nuts: :P

My mom is NOT a label whore at all, which makes this harder. She hates anything glitzy or over the top, and she isn't into a designer name being plastered all over things, so we know we want to find her some type of jewelry. BUT, we've even had problems with this in the past.

My mom does NOT wear rings, bracelets or earrings. She has a nice watch she refuses to use, so she uses cheapie ones, and my sister even got her a new watch last year, so that's out. The ONLY thing she ever wears is necklaces. BUT, she likes to wear them for about 6 months - 1 year, then she'll get a new one and the old ones may or may not make it back into rotation, so our budget is capped at $400 - $500 (dad's pitching in). On top of this dilemma, my mom doesn't take the necklaces off, not even when she showers/sleeps, and she's not into anything flashy, so no diamond by the yard or pearl necklace type stuff, she'd never wear them. She's more of a simple plain necklace with a nice pendant type of gal. She's in her 50's, and she's very much about not trying to "look young" as she puts it. She constantly tells me that she'd wear X and X if she wasn't too old for it, so something trendy, like the Tiffany Keys is out. On top of that, I know she'd hate something too plain, like the Tiffany bean necklace, she'd say it was too plain for that much $, and she'd probably never wear it at all.

She's got a black diamond on a plain chain that she used to wear, as well as a sapphire and diamond pendant that we bought her for Mothers day a few years ago, but that's as "flashy" as she'll basically go.

Any advice? My sister and I are racking our brains trying to come up with something to get her, and we're having no luck. If anyone could come up with any suggestions that meet my mom's "guidelines" then I'd love you forever!

Your mom sounds a lot like my mom. My mom has amazing taste for quality, yet doesn't like to spend to much on herself. It's a paradox ....

For that personality type, honestly, I wouldn't go with name-brand anything: I'd go to Etsy and type in some of her favorite things or themes - peacocks, pomegranates, lilies-of-the-valley, roses, whatever - and see what sorts of unusual things came up. Any "themes" out there you think would tickle her fancy?

lanasyogamama - we're not religious, but thanks for the thought :flowers: I'll run the intial thing by my sister, but I think we did something like that one year when we were younger and it sat in a jewelry box, unworn...

Swanky - because, believe it or not, she really does like jewelry! She's just insanely picky!! Jewelry is literally the only thing we are guaranteed to know that she will actually use. We've purchased her many items in the past all for her to say that she doesn't want to wear/use the item in case she ruins it somehow. It's very strange, since I feel that even if she were to wear it and ruin it or loose it somehow, she would have at least used and enjoyed it, but I've lived with this my whole life, she's not about to change now! :P

Hekate -her only "thing" is elephants. But, she's gotten several elephant gifts over the years, and they either sit around and collect dust or...well, they just sit around and collect dust. :rolleyes: She had a pandora bracelet my dad got her one year and she's worn it all of about 5 times. I got her a new charm for it for Mothers Day last year and she hasn't worn it, but I've thought about buying her the elephant charm anyways and getting her the (lighter) leather bracelet. However, I'm scare of wasting my money on something else that will collect dust :sad:

What about a pandora necklace and you can put the elephant charm on that? Or if that is a bit too chunky - I love these new ones - they come in different lengths and look great without charms too - http://www.pandora.net/en-AU/jewellery/ranges/necklaces-and-pendants/590143

Or even - http://www.pandora.net/en-AU/jewellery/ranges/necklaces-and-pendants/390702 on a short chain.

I think some of the pandora jewellery other than the charms are really beautiful and well priced and very good quality.

Swanky - she is a very sentimental type of person. We did something with our birthstones before, but I can't remember what it was. I might take that plus starqueen's idea and combine them if that makes any sense. I could possibly see her wearing the picture that I've attached, but I'm worried that she might think it would be too plain. I wonder if I could somehow add something to do with our birthstones (emerald and pearl) to jazz it up a bit. Sometimes there really is no winning with my mom!

Thanks for the ideas! :biggrin:

ETA I wonder if she'd wear it if I put two small pearls on either side of this pendant, or if she'd worry about ruining it and not wear it...*sigh*

Attachments

• pandora.png
    pandora.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 441
Does she wear jackets/blazers? If so you could get her a pretty lapel pin, in a metal color she likes and with whatever decoration she'd like (flower, rhinestones or not, seasonal...).

This is a sweet sentimental heart designed by Joannie Rochette (olympic bronze medalist in figure skating) in honour of her mom who died the day before she competed and donates some proceeds to charity - I bought my mom one (she's similar to yours it sounds!!) and my best friend too! You could get her this AND something else like a Kindle or something - and that way if she doesn't wear it for more than a year it's not a huge waste at only $150. I think it's simple and pretty with some "bang" but not too young (kind of designed for moms!).

http://www.birks.com/en/5000316413

^Thanks, that might be perfect for her, it's simple but sweet. My sister axed everything I e-mailed her, said she doesn't think our mom would like it, so we're back at square one. I'll e-mail her this one right now for her opinion :smile: (Oh, and we bought her a Kindle 2 years ago :noggin: lol!)