Help with estate cameo please!

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1452659702.808949.jpg

The above is not cameo in question. But is the closest I can find on the Internet. I was in local jewelry store picking up my appraisal for tennis bracelet (will start separate thread for that!) and an antique/estate brooch caught my eye. It wasn't even displayed yet because jeweler doesn't know how to price it. The cameo is the pink shell color and quite large. It is 14 carat yellow gold. But there are diamonds set on sides in the cameo itself like the photo I attached. In all my research, I've seen nothing like it. Wondering if someone added diamonds afterwards like people add diamonds to Rolex dials. If anyone here knows anything about cameos, I'd really appreciate your help. Jeweler promises to call me tomorrow with a price.

That's an interesting question & I would like to hear the answer myself. The cameo pictured is beautiful. I've not seen one with diamonds on the sides either. I've seen diamonds as a pendant or earring, & even sprinkled in the hair but not on the sides. I have a very old unset cameo that belonged to my great grandmother that I have been unable to have set because I've been told it's fragile & I haven't found a jeweler willing to set it. I'm not a cameo expert so it would be interesting to hear any responses.

It's very difficult to say anything without seeing the actual cameo, especially in terms of age or value. Diamonds were often part of the carving, in terms of having a diamond set as part of a carved pendant the woman in the cameo was wearing. It's doubtful to me that diamonds would have been added after the fact but impossible to say without actually seeing the front and reverse of the piece. And maybe not even then.

Antique Italian cameos can be incredibly fine and valuable but modern cameos are typically not made the same way or with the same degree of workmanship. Antiques were often souvenirs from the "grand tours" undertaken by European gentlemen primarily as gifts to bring home. They've been a popular souvenir type item for a very long time.

The 14k mark suggests to me that at least the setting was made in the United States but the setting could have been added at a later date than the cameo's actual carving/creation. It also suggests to me that the overall piece is lesser value than one set in 18k gold.

Frankly, not sure what your question relates to - is it the age of the piece or the price? I think the best thing you could do is research the selling prices for similar pieces, based on the workmanship and gold diamond weight, and see if you feel it's a fair price to pay for what you'd be getting.

I really believe that for the vast majority of jewelry purchases we make, you need to decide if it's something you love and you feel it's worth the price being asked. Unless it has really good provenance or large and high quality stones or a known and collected maker, most jewelry fetches very little at resale and is usually marked up to healthy levels.

So I generally buy because I love something and think I will wear it (or at least enjoy having it in my collection) and that I am paying a fair price for it. Of course, everyone's reasons for buying jewelry are different.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks! I am trying to learn so much. I'd like to purchase a cameo but not sure which design and materials yet. I'll keep researching and visiting stores.

Phillyfan, it looks to me that the outer motif on that piece is meant to be a horseshoe, and the diamonds meant to represent the nails. This is where the nails are usually placed. Perhaps the lovely lady was an equestrienne.

I found a couple of others...

36467943_1_l.jpg

pin-2-by-1.4-9QK-450.JPG

Just realized the cameo might have a horseshoe with the inset diamonds.

It's a lovely piece but vintage jewellery is a minefield and pricing is sometimes quite arbitrary.

If you love it buy it but stay will with in your comfort zone.

Other posts since I wrote this covered everything I wrote far better.

Consider vintage jewellery like designer costume jewellery and pay accordingly.

It was listed on eBay in November but taken down. I saw and purchased in person from a very reputable antique store. Many shell cameos seemed so delicate. And hair and flowers seemed to have missing sections. I examined mine with loupe and could see no imperfections.

Thanks for compliment. I love it. I researched so much. I think I paid a fair price as it is in excellent condition. And I believe it is genuine antique. Seems to meet all the specifications. It is gold filled. I believe they were brought back from the Grand Tour of Europe.