Help with eBay problem!

pruetjx

May 6, 2014
Hi Ladies - looking for some advice here.... I recently bought a used Legacy Duffle on eBay. The bag came super fast and was nicely packaged, but it smells like smoke. The listing said from smoke free home so I thought I was safe. I hung it up with the lining hanging outside for a couple of days, hoping it would air out, but today I carried the bag for the first time and it still smells. I contacted the seller and she says she didn't smell anything, but has offered me $20 rebate to have it dry cleaned.

My question: Does dry cleaning actually work? If it doesn't work, do I have any recourse on eBay if a bag isn't as advertised? How do I prove it smells like smoke? I asked several of my students today if they smelled anything and they all agreed it smells smoky. Any advice?

The really crummy part is that I have been banned for 2 years from buying any new (to me) bags because the hubs was out of work for a long time. I finally got a chance to treat myself - this was supposed to be my "Happy new job!" bag. So sad that its stinky :sad:

Hi Ladies - looking for some advice here.... I recently bought a used Legacy Duffle on eBay. The bag came super fast and was nicely packaged, but it smells like smoke. The listing said from smoke free home so I thought I was safe. I hung it up with the lining hanging outside for a couple of days, hoping it would air out, but today I carried the bag for the first time and it still smells. I contacted the seller and she says she didn't smell anything, but has offered me $20 rebate to have it dry cleaned.

My question: Does dry cleaning actually work? If it doesn't work, do I have any recourse on eBay if a bag isn't as advertised? How do I prove it smells like smoke? I asked several of my students today if they smelled anything and they all agreed it smells smoky. Any advice?

The really crummy part is that I have been banned for 2 years from buying any new (to me) bags because the hubs was out of work for a long time. I finally got a chance to treat myself - this was supposed to be my "Happy new job!" bag. So sad that its stinky :sad:
I don't know if the dry cleaning works or not, but you shouldn't have to have it dry cleaned. Ask to return it because of the smoke smell and if she doesn't agree, then file a claim with ebay.

That stinks, literally! So sorry...I had this happen before as well but it wasn't from smoke but an overabundance of dryer sheets that she had packed the bag in before shipping it. I'm not one to be bothered by smells but it was so overwhelming I had to return it and she was very nice about it.
Is it possible to pull the lining out and wash it (carefully) without getting the bag wet? You might also ask on the rehab thread to see if any of those ladies have dealt with such a problem in the Legacy line. I don't have any bags from that line so sorry I can't be of more help.
And I'm not positive but it seems I read on ebay that you can't claim a SNAD due to 'smells' because they're so subjective. Worth looking into though.
And I don't believe your seller for one minute that she didn't smell the smoke, how could she not if it's that strong to you?

That stinks, literally! So sorry...I had this happen before as well but it wasn't from smoke but an overabundance of dryer sheets that she had packed the bag in before shipping it. I'm not one to be bothered by smells but it was so overwhelming I had to return it and she was very nice about it.
Is it possible to pull the lining out and wash it (carefully) without getting the bag wet? You might also ask on the rehab thread to see if any of those ladies have dealt with such a problem in the Legacy line. I don't have any bags from that line so sorry I can't be of more help.
And I'm not positive but it seems I read on ebay that you can't claim a SNAD due to 'smells' because they're so subjective. Worth looking into though.
And I don't believe your seller for one minute that she didn't smell the smoke, how could she not if it's that strong to you?
You can snad for smoke, I've done it. Once for cigarette smoke and another time for perfume that was spilled in the bag and was undisclosed. No stains, just stench. eBay just about always sides with the buyer.

Reactions: Hobbsy
Yea, buyer's have a lot more 'rights' than sellers do on eBay......don't give up if you've been wronged. :yes:

Yes I know that buyers have more rights than sellers on ebay but I've also read (many times) over on the ebay forum how "smells" aren't usually a good reason for a seller to have to take a return. Maybe it's on a case by case basis, who knows?

Yes I know that buyers have more rights than sellers on ebay but I've also read (many times) over on the ebay forum how "smells" aren't usually a good reason for a seller to have to take a return. Maybe it's on a case by case basis, who knows?

This may not be relevant in this particular situation, but a while back I had read (maybe even on tPF) that an EBay seller who had claimed her home was Smoke Free but sent out a smelly (cigarette) purse, was contacted by her disgruntled buyer. She claimed that sometimes her items originate from estate sales, where she has no control over the bag's history of cigarette exposure, but that HER own home was smoke free!!

I don't remember if there was a resolution, but the lack of ethics in people can be depressing.

Bummer to hear about your issue -- maybe some of the above tips can help? Good luck!

If you are even thinking of returning the bag do not do anything to alter it from the way you received it.
Do NOT pull the lining out and wash it.
And yes it IS possible for one person to smell something and another not. People are always asking me if I smell this or that and I usually answer no.
You might want to move this to the Ebay Forum

If you are even thinking of returning the bag do not do anything to alter it from the way you received it.
Do NOT pull the lining out and wash it.
And yes it IS possible for one person to smell something and another not. People are always asking me if I smell this or that and I usually answer no.
You might want to move this to the Ebay Forum

Right On with your wonderful Pet Adoption message! :love:

Reactions: BeenBurned
Yes, goes without saying that if you plan on trying to return the bag make sure not to try to "fix" it yourself. No one was advocating that btw, certainly not me. My advice was purely in the event you decide to keep the bag.
Smoke smell usually does go away with time if you're willing to work at it.

I've successfully gotten smoke smell out of a bag, it can be done.....just depends on how hard OP wants to work on it. The Coach rehab forum is usually helpful for situations like this one.