Help with discolored bag

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. 40% off dresses, jumpsuits and sandals at Nordstrom. Sale ends Thursday at 9am EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. It's been forever since I've posted here, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong spot!

Here's my dilemma......
    About 5 years ago I purchased the Kristin Crinkle Patent Textured Opalescent Drawstring Hobo (#14766). Sorry, but I don't have a picture to post. Anyway, I've used it about 8 to 10 times and the rest of the time it's been in its white dustbag, in the original coach box, and stored in a dark closet. I took it out of the closet last night only to see that it has discolored horribly! Instead of being a nice opalescent white, it's now a dirty looking yellow. Do you think it's worth taking back to the store? I know it's a 5 year old bag, but I just wouldn't have expected this kind of discoloring. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

2. Wow, that's terrible! What a shame, that's a gorgeous bag. I bet that was a problem with that bag. It is alluded to in this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/COACH-RARE-AUTHENTIC-500-KRISTIN-Opalescent-Large-XL-Drawstring-Leather-Bag-/291424157162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43da3bbdea&nma=true&si=eBt95m1tXxuUNo9Y1d8TWXOaOUk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    I remember other light colored bags having yellowing problems. I don't think there is much that can be done to fix it.

Coach recently changed their warranty to one year so I don't know if they would do anything about a bag that old. It's worth a try.

3. Unfortunately this is extremely common with white patent, and it happens to all brands. I lost a barely used white patent chanel bag, much like your situation, to the same kind of thing. there was nothing they could do and honestly what would/could they do? With coach's warranty theres nothing they can do unfortunately.

4. Common problem with white patent in any brand. Happened to my Kate Spade white Patent bag a few years back after only a year and only being used a few times. Has nothing to do with use just happens with age 😣

5. I'll say it's not even limited to white patent. I've had shoes and sandals in a pale turquoise go yellow in just a couple of years. I avoid anything light colored, patent and spendy now because I know it's doomed from the start.

6. Unfortunate but true.

7. One of my turquoise bags went yellow too, but surprisingly the white and ivory leather bags have survived just fine. Now I know what to steer clear from!

8. I would say take it to a store and see what they say, I had a Camel Patent Sophia, a bag that i loved, maybe used her 3 times. when i pulled her out of her dust-bag a couple of months later to use after i last used her, the magenta interior satin lining had bled into the leather outside and there were magenta patches all over the outside of the bag, Coach returned my bag for what i paid for it, no questions asked, no hassle.

Your situation is different than mine, i understand. But if the bag was gently used and stored properly, maybe coach will be accommodating? you have got nothing to lose by asking...

9. Thanks for the advice! I did take it to the store yesterday and showed them the discoloration. The SA was surprised and said she could clearly see the discoloration. She told me to bring it back (I was actually using it at the time) and they would send it to corporate (or wherever misfit bags go). She said she wouldn't expect them to be able to do anything for the defect and would most likely issue me a credit. That's fine by me because I really can't use it the way it is.

Again, thanks for the information and sharing your experiences. I'll let you know what they say in 4 to 5 weeks!