Tech HELP with Cannon XSI lenses and what the Heck they mean? HELP**

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I am so confused. I want to get the Rebel XSI and I know I want a daily lens to use with my children and still life pics etc.. I also need a faster long range zoom lens for sporting events.

What is this lens? 24-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 AD wide-angle telephoto SP AF Aspherical IF Auto focus zoom lens

and 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro auto focus lens for canon.

What do I need?
    Please any advice would be appreciated.

2. Well the macro lens would be for taking close-up shots (a few inches from whatever object you are shooting). The wide angle telephoto might give you a fisheye effect; not sure. I don't think either of these sound like an everyday type lens.

3. Thanks for trying to help. I hope more people chime in..

4. I called a photography store and they told me they would have to charge me to discuss lenses since I did not purchase my camera from them.

WTF? I WAS going to go in and purchase a lens from them, but now I wonder if I should even give them my business at all.

I will just have to do more research on my own.

5. ^ That sounds ridiculous! I wouldn't give them any business. I got this same camera for Christmas and it does come with a lens that I would assume is good for daily use. I don't know much about it yet, i'm starting a class tonight, so I don't know what those other lenses are but it does come with a lens. HTH at least a little :smile:

6. I have the XTi so I may be able to help but honestly the first thing I would advise you to do is to use the kit lens. The kit lens should be 18-55mm. Get a lot of practice using it and see what you can get out of it. That will give you a better idea of if you always keep you lens at the 55mm end or if you do use it around the 24mm range. It is also lightweight and easy to pick up and snap away.

Some places will also let you rent a lens. Good lens can be expensive so maybe you should rent before buying. At the least, go into a store - Wolf Camera even - and see if they will let you pick up and look through the lens.

A friend of mine is a photographer and he let me borrow some of his lens. I tried the 70-300mm and found that it felt too heavy for the XTi body so I didn't enjoy using it. I also like to shoot closer than 70mm so I was happy to have tested it and ruled it out.

This site
    may also provide some help.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me - I am not an expert but I went through the same thing. Fortunately I had the chance to try a few lens.

7. Thank you both so much!
    I am very appreciative of your thoughts and suggestions. I do have the Kit lens coming in and I have been doing a lot of research on lenses. I am going to play with the initial lens and see what I can get out of it first. I am excited as this is my most expensive camera to date. I have slowly been moving up the spency chain for cameras in the last few years.

I have narrowed it down to 2 plausible futuristic lenses and I am going to try to get into another camera store to try them out after I have mastered my new camera/lens. I am not thrilled with the response I got from our closest camera store and I will not be giving them my $ at all.

They just lost a potentially great customer IMO.

Thank you so much, and let me know how your class goes! I am very interested to hear~

8. Yes yes. I agree. Try the kit lens. It's an IS lens which is pretty dang good for a kit lens. And as for that store- WTF? Wow. That's pooooooor customer service. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend photography-on-the.net forums. They are Canon focused and I have learned tons about my XSi and lenses as well as general photography techniques, etc.

9. I have the kit lens, too; I find it to be pretty versatile and it takes nice pictures. We also got a zoom lens, but that's it so far. BTW, I believe the xti takes the same lenses as the xsi. And whoever manages your local store is an idiot.

10. Thanks girls! I don't have a bizillion dollars to spend either! LOL~ I am such a novice at this. I printed off a bunch of information to re-read and decipher over the next few weeks. As I get more information, I will let you know. My camera is en route and should be here next week ready to snap pics. Woot woot!