Help with Buyer on Authentic GUCCI Purse

LuxeDivaNYC

Feb 19, 2009
Hi,

I recently sold what I truly believe to be an authentic Guccissima Horsebit Hobo bag on eBay. I posted it without problems and someone bought it from me after the auction ended by contacting me with a slightly lower price. I agreed, shipped it out and never heard from her again. I assumed she was ok with it.

This bag was purchased by me from Saks in NYC. It still had the store tag on it, and I am absolutely sure I bought it from the Gucci boutique in Saks. When I posted to eBay, I gave an authenticity guarantee because I had no doubt in my mind it was real Gucci.

2 months later, I get an email out of the blue from Paypal saying that the buyer is demanding a refund since she said it was a fake. I had not heard from her about this, and the first email came from Paypal. I contacted her directly and she said that she brought it to the Gucci store and it was a fake. I told her to get me the written proof from the Gucci store and I would return her money. She said she didn't have time to do that, and just shipped it back to me. Paypal took the money out of my account to protect the buyer and left the seller up the creek.

So now I have this bag. I am:
a) going to the store to have them generate the receipt from my purchase
b) wondering if she even went to the Gucci store to get it authenticated.. I really have no proof she did other than the not-so-nice emails she sent me
c) IF I take it to the Gucci store myself to double check and this is somehow a fake, I am SURE i bought it from Saks.. what do I do then?? What if Saks sold me a fake bag?

HELP!!!

Make sure that the buyer sent you back the bag that you sold her. If it's the same one, I think the only choice you have is to relist it on eBay.

If you post pics in the Gucci authentication thread you can get some opinions there:

http://forum.purseblog.com/gucci/authenticate-this-gucci-470475.html

Totally agree with the first point about checking the buyer sending you back the same one.

Also she might just be wanting her money back and need an excuse

Gucci don't usually 'authenticate' but in your case they might.

I'm pretty sure Saks would not sell you a fake Gucci

Check your old bank ac/cc statements, the name of where you bought it should show up on there as a debit no? Er unless you paid in cash.

Maybe ask to transfer this thread to the Ebay forum where you will have excellent advice from people who know all about these occurances.

Good luck

If you have bought from SAKS, then send the receipt to paypal. There are many people who do not trust products from online stores, especially ebay. However, you bought from SAKS!!! Do you think they sell fake handbags? Come on...They are huge department stores. Ask paypal return money back again after posting your receipt.

Umm, I read a thread on the BV board where a member was sold a fake BV from Saks! I think there was also an incident with either NM or BG, can't remember which one. The problem is customers returning fakes and SAs not being able to spot them. It does happen. Of course I don't know about the OP's specific bag; could be buyer's remorse

I think that story is really fishy.. Why did this buyer not contact you? I would try to find your receipt or charge if on a card and authenticate the bag. I know there are online appraisal services. Although, I have never used one, so I can't tell you if they are worth it.

It's funny though, I just returned a Coach Poppy to Macy's that I ordered online. Would you know the sales clerk hardly looked at the Bag!!! I brought it in the original shipping box, packaging, and with the online purchase receipt (bought it online). I remember thinking to myself how a decent fake could have been passed off this way into circulation at a retail store. Found this scary myself. She scanned the barcode on the receipt and never took the bag out of the plastic!!! UUGH!!

Umm, I read a thread on the BV board where a member was sold a fake BV from Saks! I think there was also an incident with either NM or BG, can't remember which one. The problem is customers returning fakes and SAs not being able to spot them. It does happen. Of course I don't know about the OP's specific bag; could be buyer's remorse

OMG!! Is that true? What if the SAs can't determine fake ones then they will sell it to other buyer. That's what I thought of my Gucci Sukey (if its fake or not), I bought last month from Neiman Marcus. I posted pictures in the Authentic this Gucci thread. I hope mine is real! :confused1:

OMG!! Is that true? What if the SAs can't determine fake ones then they will sell it to other buyer. That's what I thought of my Gucci Sukey (if its fake or not), I bought last month from Neiman Marcus. I posted pictures in the Authentic this Gucci thread. I hope mine is real! :confused1:

I'm sure it's fine if you bought it from NM. Guccis are easy to ID for Gucci staff.;)

Here are the threads on this so you can judge for yourself. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I'm just saying that it can also happen.

http://forum.purseblog.com/bottega-...ga-veneta-from-bergdorf-goodman-491001-4.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/bottega-veneta/omg-saks-com-sent-me-a-fake-bv-479915.html

In your case it might be different tho... I mean considering it's taken so long for this person to finally contact Paypal to me it sounds more like a buyer's remorse, or possibly another ebay scam.

Whoa, this is a eye opening thread. I've never questioned any of my online/in store purchases. I only buy leather/skins type bags not fabric/canvas logo type. I've read they are faked less and they are easier to spot. That's not the reason why I only purchase those it's because I like those better. Anyhow it makes think when I've purchased bags off NM website they always come untagged and when I've had to return a one they just scanned my receipt for the refund. Another time the guy looked for the cards (Prada bag) which did come with the bag, I guess to verify authenticity. I suppose that is why Bluefly, Overstock, etc. put their security tags on them. Possibly dept. stores should that. As far as sending a copy of your receipt to paypal, good luck, it generally goes in the consumers favor via their consumer protection policy. I hope she did'nt switcharoo and she just borrowed it for awhile and the condition is as good so that you can repost and get what you oringinally asked for.

Last edited: