Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Magic malachite pendant

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Something else (please post below)

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters

ItsPurseonal

Jan 2, 2020
I'm planning what to get myself for my birthday in late November and can't make up my mind on what would work for me, so I'm turning to you all for guidance.

If you don't want to read the rest of the post since I know it is lengthy, I would appreciate your opinions on items that would fit the below criteria:
Budget: ~10k (can be a bit flexible)
What I'm looking for: Casual, Minimal, Versatile, Classic
Category: Necklace or bracelet only
What I already have: vintage Alhambra WG MOP pendant

I dress casually (sneakers, jeans, sweater/tee half the time) and only have one fine jewelry piece, a Van Cleef vintage Alhambra WG MOP pendant, which I have worn almost every day since I got in 2018. I'd like to add another classic piece that I can get a ton of wear out of. I would like either a necklace or a bracelet, or both. I don't wear earrings and most rings just don't look good on my "sausage fingers" (anyone else have this problem???). For reference, I am in my late twenties.

Here are some pieces that I love - some seem to fit what I'm looking for right now more than others:
  • VCA Perlee Clovers Necklace, YG ($4350):
    • Pros: I already know that pendant necklaces work well for me. YG adds versatility to my existing WG MOP. Can wear daily without worry of damaging a stone.
    • Cons: Not sure I can think of any. Longevity of style? This feels like a "younger" piece to me - will I be able to wear this for 20 years?
  • Cartier Juste un Clou, YG ($6800 w/o diamonds, $11800 w/ diamonds):
    • Pros: Classic style. Can be removed. Pairs well with other bracelets or works well alone.
    • Cons: I work on a computer all day and worry that I won't be able to wear a bracelet when I'm working as it will constantly hit the keyboard/table. It's also a loud/common piece - I really hate the feeling of having friends/family look at a handbag and know exactly how much I spent on it, and the JUC/Love are so common that I think this would happen a lot.
  • VCA vintage Alhambra guilloche 5 motif bracelet ($4950):
    • Pros: Goes with everything - especially if I add more gold bracelets in the future. I love the style. I also would love to one day add the guilloche bracelet with diamonds and wear the two as a necklace (I can do that, right?)
    • Cons: Might be too flashy for everyday wear. I've heard guilloche is delicate. Unfortunately the hammered gold just isn't as beautiful to me in photos - I have never seen it in person to give it a shot though. Also same issue here that I won't be able to wear it while I'm working/typing (right?)
  • VCA vintage Alhambra 5 motif bracelet in malachite or blue agate ($4950):
    • Pros: Part of what I love about VCA are the beautiful color stones. Green is my favorite color and compliments a lot of pieces in my wardrobe. I would also love to get 2 and connect them as a necklace but have the option to wear as a bracelet - as a side note it seems odd to me that one would buy a 10-motif when the price of 2 5-motifs is the same, given the two 5's gives you versatility. Do the bracelets look strange when connected/not the same as a 10-motif?
    • Cons: I've read that malachite especially is very delicate, and dulls over time (that doesn't bother me a ton though). These wouldn't be everyday wear pieces.
  • VCA magic Alhambra pendant in malachite ($6200):
    • Pros: My favorite style of Alhambra pendant necklace. Would go with many items in my wardrobe.
    • Cons: Malachite is delicate, wouldn't be an everyday piece.
I cannot get to a store until October, so I would appreciate all advice in the meantime such that I can plan what I will try on when I go to the store. Is there something else that's not on this list that you would recommend? I am also looking for "casual VCA" inspo, so feel free to post pics if you've got them. Thanks all for indulging me and for helping me out!

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 7.51.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.35.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.35.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.43.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.43.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.52.44 PM.png

With regard to bracelets they all drag a little when working at a desk, unless you really shorten the length. I do but most people don’t like it that short. Why not a WG MOP to match? Or malachite and YG pave five motif. Even if the malachite gets dull, just have them replace it. It’s pretty cheap.

With regard to bracelets they all drag a little when working at a desk, unless you really shorten the length. I do but most people don’t like it that short. Why not a WG MOP to match? Or malachite and YG pave five motif. Even if the malachite gets dull, just have them replace it. It’s pretty cheap.

That's what I was afraid to hear re: bracelets. I love the look of a bracelet stack but I just don't think a luxury bracelet will work for me since I will scratch it up so much if I wear it to work, and if I don't wear it to work, it would be sitting on my vanity 70% of the time.

I like both of those ideas though - I thought it'd be nice to add versatility with a YG piece, but it may be nice to have a matching set too. What are your thoughts on connecting 2 five motifs as a necklace? It seems like some people do it, but it seems more common to just buy the 10 motif if you're planning to wear that way.

Reactions: Gracilan
That's what I was afraid to hear re: bracelets. I love the look of a bracelet stack but I just don't think a luxury bracelet will work for me since I will scratch it up so much if I wear it to work, and if I don't wear it to work, it would be sitting on my vanity 70% of the time.

I like both of those ideas though - I thought it'd be nice to add versatility with a YG piece, but it may be nice to have a matching set too. What are your thoughts on connecting 2 five motifs as a necklace? It seems like some people do it, but it seems more common to just buy the 10 motif if you're planning to wear that way.
I think it’s very personal. If it works for you length wise , that could work. You have the versatility of bracelets and a 10 motif. I don’t because I shorten my bracelets too much for it, and I’m anal about the clasp showing.

I work at a desk and I don’t find that my bracelets scratch up. But if I was doing something with my hands other than at a desk then it could get scratched. That’s why I suggested the bracelet with the pave. That’s two less motifs to worry about.

You'd really have to try the 2 x 5 motif in person to know if it'll work on your neck. For me, the motifs in the front were flipping all the time and didn't lay flat like the 10 motif did.

I vote for the malachite magic pendant. I think it fits a lot of what you are looking for - you clearly like pendants and can wear daily for work or casual or dress up and you love vca stones and malachite is the best stone in my opinion. The magic has different length options adding to it’s versatility. I have a malachite bracelet and I barely wear since I like in rainy climate but the magic pendant is on my wish list since it is my favourite stone I will worry less about a necklace than something on my wrist. The stones are fairly inexpensive to replace if they do get ruined.
Of your other options, I am not a fan of the nail or of the perlee pendant - both of which stick out a bit in their design. I love the guilloche but will never own since it can not be fixed if damaged and from other posters it can easily scratch. I am not careful with jewellery so that line is a no to me. I also do not like clasps showing and I shorter my bracelets so can not wear 2 as a 10 necklace. If you like that 10 motif necklace I would get that instead of 2 motif necklaces, like the guilloche or blue agate. I would get something to add variety to your current necklace vs completing it as a set.

I think you would get the most use out of the malachite magic necklace. You can wear it doubled if it for some reason is uncomfortable behind the desk (clicking onto it). And esp because you mentioned it would compliment a lot of your clothes and you love necklaces. I would not use two bracelets to make a necklace. It falls differently and I don't know how 'big' your wrist is? Otherwise you still need it shortened or clasp it to make 1 motif dangling, which I don't love (and is harder with desk work). I love VCA for their stones and malachite is so pretty.

Last edited:
Reactions: ItsPurseonal
I’m probably in the minority here, but I would buy the Clou or a 10 Motif. The Clou will not drag and you don’t have to worry about stones being replaced. A 10 Motif is so classic and you can pick the guilloche. From my understanding the guilloche can dent and may not be able to be repaired, so the design is best for earrings or a necklace. Ladies, please correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m probably in the minority here, but I would buy the Clou or a 10 Motif. The Clou will not drag and you don’t have to worry about stones being replaced. A 10 Motif is so classic and you can pick the guilloche. From my understanding the guilloche can dent and may not be able to be repaired, so the design is best for earrings or a necklace. Ladies, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Another vote for the JUC.

That’s a great point about a necklace or earrings being best for guilloche. I’ll have to try on the 10 motif when I visit the store.

Another vote for the JUC.

You don’t think the JUC would be an issue since I type at a computer all day? I love the design but I worry that it would wear quickly.

Reactions: AntiqueShopper
I vote for the malachite magic pendant. I think it fits a lot of what you are looking for - you clearly like pendants and can wear daily for work or casual or dress up and you love vca stones and malachite is the best stone in my opinion. The magic has different length options adding to it’s versatility. I have a malachite bracelet and I barely wear since I like in rainy climate but the magic pendant is on my wish list since it is my favourite stone I will worry less about a necklace than something on my wrist. The stones are fairly inexpensive to replace if they do get ruined.

I do think I’d worry less about the pendant than the bracelet - I agree!

I think it’s very personal. If it works for you length wise , that could work. You have the versatility of bracelets and a 10 motif. I don’t because I shorten my bracelets too much for it, and I’m anal about the clasp showing.

I work at a desk and I don’t find that my bracelets scratch up. But if I was doing something with my hands other than at a desk then it could get scratched. That’s why I suggested the bracelet with the pave. That’s two less motifs to worry about.
I would get the guilloche and pave bracelet, less chance of scratching it up, and it’s gorgeous, a little over budget, but will be a classic now or years from now.

I like the idea of the pave! I went to look at the website for prices but it looks like all prices are gone on the US site. Off topic, but does VCA do this when they are raising prices, similar to Chanel?

in the meantime - do you happen to know the price(ish) for the 5 motif with pave?