Help with Birkin Leather

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I think it is ardennes, too, based on your closeup. Got fooled by the original photo #2 where the bag is slouchy, but since it's a 40 and might have been well-used, it now makes sense that it is ardennes. I don't know the name of this old green...my first Birkin is from 2001 so this was just before my time.

2. Holà!

I just went through my Monde Hermes from 1995 to 2002.

Found a picture of a Kelly that is twin with this Birkin... Clemence Vert. 1995 Vol II page 100.

Found another picture of a wallet in Fjord Vert Foncé that is another twin to this Birkin !
    2000Vol II page 93

To me it is not Ardennes. Ardennes does not have the additionnal tiny wrinkles arround each grain...If I may put it this way .....

Ardennes does not reflect light in a "bubbled" way as seen on the close up from James. Those bubbles are mostly seen on Togo and Fjord, and sometimes on Clemnece when it is a small grained Clemence.

I can't really decide between Clemence and Fjord but the color looking quite dark I would say Fjord Vert Foncé.

This bag still has a part of mystery but anyway, whatever leather, this is a beautiful bag !

3. perlerare, thank you for this--very interesting! Good points; agree, especially about the bubbled distinction (that is how I tell togo from clemence usually).
    Wasn't the old Fjord sort of thicker/stiffer than Fjord nowadays? I haven't seen it broken in enough to slouch like that, even in a 40....
    The mystery continues!!

4. Alright... Ive got some higher quality closeups. Lets figure this out! :smile:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Really interesting. When I looked at the second set of pics I was pretty sure not ardenne but I was also going against my first thought of fjord (from pic no. 1 first set) . I have never seen old fjord (that I know of LOL) so ?

6. fjord?

7. Cross post James, I vote Fjord!

8. James,

Maybe you and/or your girlfriend would enjoy popping into the Madison Ave. Hermes. Claude, their leather expert, is wonderful and should be able to distinguish the leather and color. It is a beautiful bag, no matter what it turns out to be!

9. hahah, that was my next step if the experts here couldn't solve the mystery :smile:.

10. Well, then -- we all will look forward to hearing what this mystery Birkin is! Good luck.

11. #41 Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
    I give up! (although the top and second photo you posted most recently do look like fjord....)
    James, let us know what Claude says....

12. LOL, Not a fair question, but I want to know who's who in the pics.

13. I see the third pic has lighter stiching...

the first and the second have green stiching.

looks like two defferent bags to me...

Sorry if I am wrong...

14. and the second one looks like Fjord a lot.

15. I am the one with the paisley pants and blue jacket. My girlfriend is the brunette holding the birkin. The people in the other picture are our friends