Help With a Vintage Purchase

thegirlwhoflies

The Girl Who Flies
O.G.
Oct 8, 2009
Hi all,

Just looking for some good, solid advice really.

I've been hunting around for quite some time for a vintage piece with gold hardware, in great condition, that's affordable. Haven't we all! It's not really within my price range to buy a new handbag at the moment, I bought a Fendi Roll Tote about 6 weeks ago, however... I think I might have found the vintage piece I'm looking for.

The bag I'm looking at is a series 2, it's in wonderful condition (especially given its age) & it comes with authenticity card, box & dust bag. Shocker!

I've included some photos but I'm wondering what your thoughts are? I can snap it up for $1,880.

Thank you!!

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632134.473671.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632143.757013.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632153.640137.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632161.707699.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632169.827516.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632181.544936.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632193.278474.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632205.248846.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632219.815924.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450632228.666932.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just looking for some good, solid advice really.

I've been hunting around for quite some time for a vintage piece with gold hardware, in great condition, that's affordable. Haven't we all! It's not really within my price range to buy a new handbag at the moment, I bought a Fendi Roll Tote about 6 weeks ago, however... I think I might have found the vintage piece I'm looking for.

The bag I'm looking at is a series 2, it's in wonderful condition (especially given its age) & it comes with authenticity card, box & dust bag. Shocker!

I've included some photos but I'm wondering what your thoughts are? I can snap it up for $1,880.

Thank you!!

View attachment 3218858

View attachment 3218859

View attachment 3218860

View attachment 3218862

View attachment 3218863

View attachment 3218864

View attachment 3218866

View attachment 3218867

View attachment 3218868

View attachment 3218869

At first glance this looks good but I am would be skeptical that a series 2 would have all the accompanying items as mentioned. This is a pretty popular style and I'd also want to be sure it's authentic. If you post the needed pics and info we can authenticate it for you in the AT thread.

One thing to consider when buying vintage is whether the bag has been redyed which will affect the feel of the lambskin. I'd also look for a seller with good feedback etc. You can google sold Chanel vintage bags on Ebay and prob find several of these to get an idea if the pricing is good etc. Good luck!

At first glance this looks good but I am would be skeptical that a series 2 would have all the accompanying items as mentioned. This is a pretty popular style and I'd also want to be sure it's authentic. If you post the needed pics and info we can authenticate it for you in the AT thread.

One thing to consider when buying vintage is whether the bag has been redyed which will affect the feel of the lambskin. I'd also look for a seller with good feedback etc. You can google sold Chanel vintage bags on Ebay and prob find several of these to get an idea if the pricing is good etc. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I've been looking at this particular style for awhile now & the smaller size seems to fetch about $2,500 in pristine condition so this being larger grabbed me. I need a larger bag. It's being sold by a reputable consignment website in Japan, all guaranteed authentic or full return policy applies. That being said, I'll suck over to the authentication thread.

Many thanks!

Still really struggling to make a decision on whether or not to pull the trigger on this bag. I absolutely love it & worry that if I don't that I won't find another in such great condition. What do you guys think? Is it too good to pass up?

is this the Diana flap? it's always around on resale/consignment like FF and Yoogi's. it's not something that would never come around again, it's around often. maybe not with all the extra stuff, like box and etc.

Still really struggling to make a decision on whether or not to pull the trigger on this bag. I absolutely love it & worry that if I don't that I won't find another in such great condition. What do you guys think? Is it too good to pass up?

GET IT!!!!! and thanks for sharing, i didn't even know there were TWO different sizes. i'm also looking to get one of these bags, i think they are so classy and exude what chanel represents. this particular one seems to be in excellent condition and from what i've been researching/reading about vintage chanel, there's nothing quite like it! i also new to vintage but the bags are absolutely beautiful. all of mine are newer bags (starting with a jumbo 19 series classic flap) so i have nothing to compare it to in real life. just think of it this way.... if you don't get this one and someone else does, will you regret it?? will you keep thinking about it?? if you answered yes, i would not hesitate AT ALL!!! let us know what you decide :smile:

Is $1800 including authenticity card and dust bag? Maybe a box? If it is a complete set then I would say yes. I love the Diana style flap. It's elegant and classic enough, but it's not the "typical" flap that everyone carries.

This is definitely my favorite style of all my vintage and non-vintage Chanels [emoji4] if I had to pick my top Chanel bags, it would be my Diana flaps, another white vintage one, and my m/l beige caviar classic flap (18-series)

these picture are from my Instagram so u can get a better idea. The quality of vintage Chanel is amazing!

Pm me if u have more questions.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451163213.378776.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1451163223.145729.jpg

GET IT!!!!! and thanks for sharing, i didn't even know there were TWO different sizes. i'm also looking to get one of these bags, i think they are so classy and exude what chanel represents. this particular one seems to be in excellent condition and from what i've been researching/reading about vintage chanel, there's nothing quite like it! i also new to vintage but the bags are absolutely beautiful. all of mine are newer bags (starting with a jumbo 19 series classic flap) so i have nothing to compare it to in real life. just think of it this way.... if you don't get this one and someone else does, will you regret it?? will you keep thinking about it?? if you answered yes, i would not hesitate AT ALL!!! let us know what you decide :smile:

I think you're right, I just hate seeing debt on my credit card, it makes me panic even though I know I have the ability to pay it off within 3 months with what's currently already on my card. I know one of this particular quality in a complete set is unlikely to come up again, or at least for quite some time. I'm also new to vintage Chanel, I bought my first new piece this turn last year, a Jumbo Easy Caviar in black with SHW. I'd love to add to my collection with a piece that has GHW, it would be a nice transition piece from day to night. I know I'd regret it if I didn't but it but in another way, I'd be relieved that I didn't feel the compulsion to! [emoji5]️ Thank you, you've been so helpful. I'll let you know what I decide.

Is $1800 including authenticity card and dust bag? Maybe a box? If it is a complete set then I would say yes. I love the Diana style flap. It's elegant and classic enough, but it's not the "typical" flap that everyone carries.

This is definitely my favorite style of all my vintage and non-vintage Chanels [emoji4] if I had to pick my top Chanel bags, it would be my Diana flaps, another white vintage one, and my m/l beige caviar classic flap (18-series)

these picture are from my Instagram so u can get a better idea. The quality of vintage Chanel is amazing!

View attachment 3223051View attachment 3223052

That's such a coincidence! I'm a Flight Attendant from Australia but I'm actually on a layover at the moment & I'm currently at South Coast Plaza. I'm right by Chanel where you're photo is tagged to. I'll have to look you up on IG, my account is 30000feet.

& yes, it is the full set with a box for $1800. Sigh!!

Again, thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate a bit of impartial, solid advice from someone that owns the bag I'm looking at. It really does seem to good to pass up.

Last edited:
That's such a coincidence! I'm a Flight Attendant from Australia but I'm actually on a layover at the moment & I'm currently at South Coast Plaza. I'm right by Chanel where you're photo is tagged to. I'll have to look you up on IG, my account is 30000feet.

& yes, it is the full set with a box for $1800. Sigh!!

Again, thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate a bit of impartial, solid advice from someone that owns the bag I'm looking at. It really does seem to good to pass up.

I honestly think you should get it. Vintage Chanel can last a long time. Mine are around 25 years old and still in amazing condition. They only appreciate in value. But the most important thing is that YOU love the bag. If you love the style then I think you should get it.

I agree! This is an amazing, elegant, classic, and beautiful bag. I say GO FOR IT!!!

You're never going to believe this but I decided last night to jump on it & buy the bag. I've been trying to process payment for it but there seems to be a bug in the system & it won't go through. I'm on my phone which I think is the problem, so was going to wait until I get home to my laptop tomorrow.

In the meantime, I was looking on eBay earlier & found the same style flap, although its's in the smaller size. It's also in amazing condition but this one doesn't come with the box. It's also a lot cheaper, $1550 as opposed to $1880. The quilts look puffier on the back of the small one but the creasing on the side looks more prominent than on the large one.

What do you guys think? The larger one seems to be slightly smaller than a typical Jumbo? I think the small one looks plenty roomy enough for all the things I like to carry. To me it really just comes down to which one looks to be in the best condition but it's not always easy to tell.

I've just posted it in the authentication thread for peace of mind. Does the number that end in 'SI' indicate date of manufacture?

So what are your thoughts? Large or small? Which one looks in better condition to you?

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255533.972954.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255545.152918.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255552.587552.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255561.404977.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255571.523198.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255593.194515.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255640.450104.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255653.916979.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255727.894010.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1451255738.313622.jpg

Last edited:

I'm having the hardest time deciding. I think I like the smaller bag better; it'll meet my daily needs... although I like the idea of being able to carry more if I need to ie: my digital camera. The smaller size looks pretty roomy though? I also think the condition of the small flap on the back looks a little better than the larger original bag I posted? The back of the bag on the large looks slightly bowed towards the bottom left corner but I could just be being picky at this point. The flap on the small looks rounder at the top too. Gaahhh I don't know! It's still a lot of money and I don't want to regret my purchase but I just can't decide. As someone who owns a few already, what do you think?

I'm having the hardest time deciding. I think I like the smaller bag better; it'll meet my daily needs... although I like the idea of being able to carry more if I need to ie: my digital camera. The smaller size looks pretty roomy though? I also think the condition of the small flap on the back looks a little better than the larger original bag I posted? The back of the bag on the large looks slightly bowed towards the bottom left corner but I could just be being picky at this point. The flap on the small looks rounder at the top too. Gaahhh I don't know! It's still a lot of money and I don't want to regret my purchase but I just can't decide. As someone who owns a few already, what do you think?

I like the small one a lot more. It is very roomy. I do agree with you that the smaller one looks better