Help...what would you wear to a winter wedding?

Nov 14, 2007
I'm going to a big wedding in February. I honestly have never been to a big wedding at least not in my twenties only when I was little. I have no idea on what to wear or even what color especially since it's winter. But I def don't want to wear black. Can you guys give me some suggestions? My budget is around 400 dollars for dress and shoes. Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!! Let me know if seeing a picture of me would help with advice. Oh I live in NY btw. Thanks in advance for your help. :smile:

I think it would be somewhat venue and level of formality-contingent, but since you are in NY I assume everything will be inside and that cocktail dresses are probably fine since you didn't specify. Someone I know from high school just got married on NYE and everyone was wearing pretty standard wedding attire as far as styles were concerned (nice cocktail-length dresses for the women). I think a darker purple/eggplant would be a fun color that would be seasonally appropriate and which would look good with most hair and skin tones.

A smart, colourful dress would be fine, I'm assuming you'll be inside but pairing it with a smart mac or trench coat (maybe with a furry scarf to add to the wintriness?) and matching gloves will look great while you're outside.

Colour wise, I'd say red or green is too christmassy, and orange/yellow/hot pink are too summery so I'd probably go for blue or purple tones for an icy look with silver accessories. I'd also stay away from gold jewellery because you may remind people of their christmas trees.

LK Bennett do really nice smart dresses which are very good quality for the money, and often have fabulous matching shoes so that would be the first place I'd try, and you should be able to get a dress and shoes for $400 ish. They have a lot of dresses on sale at the minute and have an Ebay store which sells last seasons dresses for around $75. I am coveting their velvet dresses at the minute.

Just went to a wedding a few weeks ago and I wore black from head to toe! So did many other women invited!

Anyway, since you don't wanna wear black I suggest a nice fitting (not to tight, not to loose) dress, knee-length. There's a variey of colours you can choose from, but I'd suggest dark red, beige, emerald green, purple or blue. You can wear a coat on top (doesn't matter if it's black, you'll take it off anyway), a trench coat, or even a fur coat if it's freezing.

It would be ideal if you could wear a manteau on top of the dress that matches the colours and fabric of your dress. In the UK, they do this a lot - at least in the pics I've seen. I donsider it very stylish and elegant!

I think it would be somewhat venue and level of formality-contingent, but since you are in NY I assume everything will be inside and that cocktail dresses are probably fine since you didn't specify. Someone I know from high school just got married on NYE and everyone was wearing pretty standard wedding attire as far as styles were concerned (nice cocktail-length dresses for the women). I think a darker purple/eggplant would be a fun color that would be seasonally appropriate and which would look good with most hair and skin tones.

Thank you! I really like the idea of a purple/eggplant color dress! But I have been looking and I don't see too many I like. If you come across any. Please let me know! :smile:

A smart, colourful dress would be fine, I'm assuming you'll be inside but pairing it with a smart mac or trench coat (maybe with a furry scarf to add to the wintriness?) and matching gloves will look great while you're outside.

Colour wise, I'd say red or green is too christmassy, and orange/yellow/hot pink are too summery so I'd probably go for blue or purple tones for an icy look with silver accessories. I'd also stay away from gold jewellery because you may remind people of their christmas trees.

LK Bennett do really nice smart dresses which are very good quality for the money, and often have fabulous matching shoes so that would be the first place I'd try, and you should be able to get a dress and shoes for $400 ish. They have a lot of dresses on sale at the minute and have an Ebay store which sells last seasons dresses for around $75. I am coveting their velvet dresses at the minute.

Thank you! And yes def no red or green!! Love the idea of gloves! I will check out LK bennett thanks for the suggestion. :smile: I don't think I have too much time for ebay because the wedding is Feb 3rd. So by the time I win the item and it ships it may be too close. Thanks though I will check there in the future.

Just went to a wedding a few weeks ago and I wore black from head to toe! So did many other women invited!

Anyway, since you don't wanna wear black I suggest a nice fitting (not to tight, not to loose) dress, knee-length. There's a variey of colours you can choose from, but I'd suggest dark red, beige, emerald green, purple or blue. You can wear a coat on top (doesn't matter if it's black, you'll take it off anyway), a trench coat, or even a fur coat if it's freezing.

It would be ideal if you could wear a manteau on top of the dress that matches the colours and fabric of your dress. In the UK, they do this a lot - at least in the pics I've seen. I donsider it very stylish and elegant!

I don't want to wear black but I think I may just have to! LOL I can't find any dresses that I love that aren't black. Ahhh I love the idea of a fur coat but I can't afford to buy one just for this wedding! LOL I don't really get too fancy very often. I dress up to work but it's business casual.

Oooo I love the idea of a manteau on top but I guess it would have to be a long dress then.

What do you think about this dress? It's a little above my budget but I like it. But would you wear stockings with this? It's so cold that I really would feel silly not wearing tights or stockings. what do you think?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/vera-wa...dress/3241231?origin=category&resultback=3663

Pretty, but I think you can find something at a lower price point for your budget. Things are on sale right now so go shopping! I am old school, so yes I think you need some type of hosiery on your legs in Feb. especially if you are wearing a dress that short. I agree with the other posters that a cocktail dress is the way to go.

I don't want to wear black but I think I may just have to! LOL I can't find any dresses that I love that aren't black. Ahhh I love the idea of a fur coat but I can't afford to buy one just for this wedding! LOL I don't really get too fancy very often. I dress up to work but it's business casual.

Oooo I love the idea of a manteau on top but I guess it would have to be a long dress then.

I didn't mean you should buy a fur coat just for this wedding! LOL
I meant that if you already own one, this wedding would be a great oportunity to wear it!
I'd never advise someon to buy a 10K ++ item for just ONE occasion! LOL

If you decide to wear a manteau, then the dress should not be very long just knee-length.

See Kate Middleton thread, page 1, post #7, last pic (the pic where she's wearing a beige brocade manteau with a black hat) http://forum.purseblog.com/celebrity-style-threads/kate-middleton-643248.html

Sorry that I can't post the pic itself... seems my pc is playing hard to get... LOL

I didn't mean you should buy a fur coat just for this wedding! LOL
I meant that if you already own one, this wedding would be a great oportunity to wear it!
I'd never advise someon to buy a 10K ++ item for just ONE occasion! LOL

If you decide to wear a manteau, then the dress should not be very long just knee-length.

See Kate Middleton thread, page 1, post #7, last pic (the pic where she's wearing a beige brocade manteau with a black hat) http://forum.purseblog.com/celebrity-style-threads/kate-middleton-643248.html

Sorry that I can't post the pic itself... seems my pc is playing hard to get... LOL

LOL I know what you meant!! I do wish I had a fur coat though!!! :cloud9:

Oooo Kate def gave me some great dresses ideas. I love her style. :smile:

Thank you!!!

Pretty, but I think you can find something at a lower price point for your budget. Things are on sale right now so go shopping! I am old school, so yes I think you need some type of hosiery on your legs in Feb. especially if you are wearing a dress that short. I agree with the other posters that a cocktail dress is the way to go.

Yes I feel the same I need something on my legs unless I wear a long gown.

I'm going dress hunting this weekend! :smile: I will take pics and maybe you guys can help me choose!

Hey everyone I went to Nordies and fell in love with this dress! It's like a dark blue. Can you help me dress it up. It looks better in person btw! And excuse my appearance! :smile:

nordiesdress.jpg