Help! What to wear to a formal wedding?

PrincessIona

needs more bags!
O.G.
Aug 8, 2009
Hi,

Im going to a formal wedding next month (April) and I have no idea what sort of thing I should wear - I have only been to 2 weddings before and neither of those were formal. The wedding is at 1pm. I have tried searching for advice on google but it's not been very helpful so far so I'm hoping someone on here can help me out?

My style is normally quite casual also, I don't want to spend a fortune as I'll only wear the outfit once.

Any advice please?

Thanks!! :biggrin:

If your style is casual, you may not want to go over the top with lots of beading or embellishment. However, I'd rather be slightly over dressed than under dressed at a formal event. Depending on how formal the wedding is, you could do a fancy cocktail dress or you may want to do a long dress that isn't over the top. Find out the location and take a look at the pictures. The hall or whatever may have pictures of how they do the place up for weddings. Then you can pretty much gauge how fancy the event will be.

In general, nothing is worse than when people show up to weddings in outfits that could double as a) girls night out on the town super tight mini dress, or b) a sundress that could be worn on a cruise!

Black tie is only for the evening. For a formal daytime wedding, women should wear a dressy short dress or suit that is not cocktail-no beading or sequins, not too bare. Men would wear suits, not tuxedos.

I'm so glad I've found this thread - I'm going to a wedding in the summer and have no idea what to wear - my style is very casual.... can't wait to see what ideas everyone comes up with!