Help! What to wear for business in Europe?

Schientist

Schientist
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
Hi ladies-

I'm fixing to make my first "business travel" trip to Europe (specifically England and France- summer season). My username gives away my profession type, but I'm not your typical nerdy rocket scientist- at the office I normally wear cute high-heeled stilettos every day. I'm not on my feet a lot, so it doesn't matter if my feet get a little tortured. However, I know that on this trip I'm going to be on my feet and walking a LOT... and absolutely none of my shoes are good for that. I will die a sad death by blister. My (all male) coworkers are of course recommending flats, but all my pants are tailored to my 3-4" heels... not that I have any comfy flats anyway.

So what I need to know is:
- are open toed shoes acceptable like they are here?
- what in the world shoe is comfortable enough to walk around in Europe in but still look good with a suit?
- any other fashion faux pas I should know about from those of you located in my destination locales?

Any recommendations are appreciated. Brand, style, etc. I *prefer* not to spend more than $100 a pair, but if I found just the right ones I could go a little higher. (Schientist, not business exec. :smile:)

Thanks!!

fmd914

O.G.
Apr 13, 2007
Hi. So I travel internationally a lot for work and am in a similar work environment as you described. I have found wedges to be the best. My pants are also tailored for heels and being a shorty flats would lead to the purchase of more pants! When visiting European cities I find that often we end up doing walking tours of the cities after dinner - and a lot of streets are paved with bricks or cobblestone. Wedges allow me to wear my pants, still have the confidence of the height and avoid damage to my heels from the streets. For a lower price range I will admit that ones that I find at Nordstrom such as Me Too, Enzo Angiolini are comfortable, affordable and still look very polished.

Hope this helps!

Schientist

Schientist
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
Hi. So I travel internationally a lot for work and am in a similar work environment as you described. I have found wedges to be the best. My pants are also tailored for heels and being a shorty flats would lead to the purchase of more pants! When visiting European cities I find that often we end up doing walking tours of the cities after dinner - and a lot of streets are paved with bricks or cobblestone. Wedges allow me to wear my pants, still have the confidence of the height and avoid damage to my heels from the streets. For a lower price range I will admit that ones that I find at Nordstrom such as Me Too, Enzo Angiolini are comfortable, affordable and still look very polished.

Hope this helps!

Very much so! Thank you!