Help! What to do with grey patent jumbo?

elle woods

O.G.
Jan 13, 2007
Hi all, I love love love my grey patent jumbo from 2010 (last year it came in single flap). I totally baby it, have used maybe 5x max and always store back in dust bag after each use. I noticed recently that there is color transfer in certain areas and it's breaking my heart because I have barely used it. This is my only patent bag (my other Chanels are lamb, goat and caviar) and i don't know what to do. I'm attaching an example of the color transfer on the backside. There is a little more inside the bag, and none on the front.

I have a few questions to you experts:

1. Is there anything I can do to remove these yucky transfer stains?

2. Should I sell the bag? Would I even get much for it if I do?

3. Or do I keep it and wear it to the ground? I have two small kids (aged 3 and 1), hence not being able to use my lovely bags the last few years.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459363082.890188.jpg

I may be wrong, but that looks more like yellowing of the patent leather than color transfer. Actually yellowing of the plastic patent over the leather that can yellow with age. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything that can be done for this 🙁

I had a black patent jumbo and sold it because I worried about how it would age. I also have a 2 year old and another on the way so it wasn't getting much use anyway.
I would suggest getting some quotes for it to see how much you may be able to get for it and if it's a price you're comfortable with, sell it. If not and you think it's worth more for you to use, then use and enjoy it as much as possible.

I know your pain. I had a patent jumbo that I babied and it got transfer, it was very upsetting.

You can try non acetone nail polish remover,it may remove some.

The value of the bag is sadly less now, so you could try and sell as is or wear it to the ground.

I sold mine and should of kept it as the transfer was only inside the flap. It is still a gorgeous bag and with kids seems perfect! :smile:

I have a light pink patent jumbo and it has color transfer from my leggings haha. It's only on the back so it really doesn't bother me that much. Yours is yellow though so I can understand why it's a little but bothersome. If you don't want to wear it anymore because of the yellowing then sell it. If it doesn't bother you then go ahead and keep it!

I may be wrong, but that looks more like yellowing of the patent leather than color transfer. Actually yellowing of the plastic patent over the leather that can yellow with age. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything that can be done for this 🙁

I had a black patent jumbo and sold it because I worried about how it would age. I also have a 2 year old and another on the way so it wasn't getting much use anyway.
I would suggest getting some quotes for it to see how much you may be able to get for it and if it's a price you're comfortable with, sell it. If not and you think it's worth more for you to use, then use and enjoy it as much as possible.

Agree think this is more likely yellowing of the plastic than color transfer. Let us know how the non-acetone remover works out!

Agree think this is more likely yellowing of the plastic than color transfer. Let us know how the non-acetone remover works out!

Agree. Def aging. And I would just wear the heck out of it or sell if you can get a decent price. Which ever feels best to you. I'm surprised this is happening I have other patent bags, not Chanel, that have help up beautifully. I have a Charles Jourdan (anyone remember them? I'm dating myself!) that has to be over 20 years old that's perfect, although it's black. On second thought I think I would at least show it to Chanel and see what they say.

Wear it! Happened to one of my patent flaps (that i wasn't using) started using it, well because it was damaged anyway, realised how functional the flap really is as an everyday bag the back pocket etc...so went out and bought some more! :smile: good outcome overall

That's right. Just use it and use it as you would with any other bags.

truth is patent don't hold as much value as caviar/lambskin does, so unless you are ready for a huge price off, otherwise, just use it till your heart's content!! =)

single flaps are great... im sure you'll find use for it.