HELP! What small dogs dont bark alot?

I have two rescues that are mixed.
One is a maltese/poodle (we THINK...maybe a cockapoo?). She does not shut up!!!
One is a shih tzu mix. He is better than her, but not GREAT although I think she riles him up haha.
My friend has a Bichon who barks a lot as well. One of my friends has a jack russell who I never heard bark (but they are WILD!). Or maybe a cocker spaniel?
You have said you would be interested in a rescue dog (YAYYY!), so my recommendation would be to go to a rescue and meet a few dogs. Ask the rescues about the specific dogs, and they should have lots of information for you, but as a heads up, in shelters dogs probably bark a little bit more because they are provoked by other dogs and fighting for your attention. If you could find a rescue in foster homes, that would be more accurate because the dogs are living in a home environment. I know of a few small-breed rescues, but I am in NY and not sure where you're located. Try www.petfinder.com

Shiba Inu's rarely bark (it's just too much hassle though they do have a talent for yodelling!). They can be strong willed though so not for everyone. :graucho:

Basenji also a smaller size dog that doesn't bark (and has short fur if allergy is a problem).

i cant believe no one mentioned a frenchie or a boston terrier! theyre the quietest breeds ive ever met, and make fabulous family dogs bc they dont tend to bond to one person in particular

I have 2 BT's and neither of them bark AT ALL!
Even when the doorbell rings, they will run to the door to greet whoever is there, but there is never any barking.
My sister has a Frenchie and she barks very rarely. I have never heard her bark, but my sis says she will once in a while but rarely... she also has a Pug who barks non-stop.
So the Bostons and Frenchies are good in the "no-barking" department.
Great family dogs too!

I have two yorkies, one barks tons and the other never barks. Its all about their personality. Interact with the dog and you will see which is best for you.

I agree. Mine normally only barks when he hears someone at the door. As he's gotten older, he's gotten a little more barky. He is definitely very protective of me, so in the car, if people get to close, he goes off on a tangent.

i have a shih tzu for 3 yrs and got him when he was a pup. i jokingly said to my bf the other day that we could easily live in an apartment and sneak Bourbon(my dog) in with us because he rarely barks(he'll bark when we play rough with him, when we tell him to bark, or when he gets excited playing or hears the door bell). we live in a house and hes super friendly to everyone. we also joke that if an intruder comes in our house Bourbon would leave with him b/c he loves everyone....

like many others said before each dog will have its own personality within its breed. My dog isnt a mini so he weighs 13 lbs which is still small. But is afraid of his toys when they squeak (he'll play rough with them until they squeak then he runs away). hes hyper (as soon as he sees a quest no matter how many times hes seen that person he gets excited and wants to play with them)...and he likes to sit on the top of the couches and look out the window as a cat.

OH...and it was easy to train him! we can tell him to go get his baby (just a toy bear) and he'll run around the house until he finds it along with other tricks. i also keep inside so he's used to doggie pads.

Last edited:
My first dog was a basenji. They don´t bark (because they can´t) but are otherwise very vocal. They sing and "yodle" a lot. Lovely dogs but very headstrong.
This is an easy breed for doghaters to like because basenjis keep themselves extremely clean (and everyone around them; my dog always tried to lick me dry after showering :P ) and usually mind their own business.

^^^ What an adorable breed!

Boston Terriers are awesome! I wish we could get one, but my husband's allergic. :sad:

A lot of what happens with small dogs and barking is about training and setting dominance. These dogs are often prone to developing "small dog syndrome." Of course that's not everything. Much of it is individual personality too. Whatever you choose, make sure you do your homework on how to keep your cutie in check and he/she knows doesn't have to be noisy.

I have a shih tzu that hardly ever barks. She likes to cry like a baby...literally. When she wants something or trying to get your attention will do this loud wailing. I have no idea why she does this bc she was adopted when she was 1 yo.

Shih Tzus are popular with one side of my family. I know... 10 shih tzus personally now and have known many others over my lifetime. MOST of them are and were yappers.

I think that marks off the poms, chis and yorkies too. There are exceptions, and part of it will be dependent on how you raise them and train them.

Bostons, Frenchies and Pugs aren't particularly noisy. And when they do bark, its not quite as ear splitting...

I'm with other posters, if I were afraid of a dog, it would be the small ones. (largely due to the type of owners many small breeds end up with.)

I always joke that the only breed that I'm terrified of is Pomeranians.

I'd also like to add... That if your brother is afraid of dogs... And you get a small dog and don't manage and train it well.. The resulting little terror will further cement his fear of dogs.

My Tibetan Spaniel mix almost NEVER barks. I call him "sage" because he reminds me of a wise, old man...never panics unless there is really something to panic about! lol

My Dachshund mix, on the other hand...:lol:
But he's gotten a lot better since I took him to obedience school.

my chihuahua doesn't bark a lot, in fact he doesn't really bark.
if he does feel like something is up, he just gives a little yelp - thats it
but he does cry a lot, wailing and stuff. He even wails at me to make me go out the door faster! he knows he gets a treat whenever i go out.
but i think thats how i raised him since he was little (hes been mine since he was 2 months!)