HELP! What is the ideal shoe collection? Must haves?

Jun 18, 2012
On TPF we talk a lot about what every woman "must have" in her handbag wardrobe. Lots of great suggestions come up but usually, there is a lot of agreement on what types of bags it's good to own (even if we disagree a bit on model or brand).

Well, I need that help for shoes! I'm a designer shoe newbie. My collection (ha!) of shoes is a train wreck of bad decisions and broken dreams. :lol: So, I'd love to hear from the experts what shoes are the "must haves" for a well curated, capsule (say 10-15 pair), premier designer shoe collection. And, if you're feeling frisky, please also share your opinions on where to go from there - say to build me up to a 30-50 pair collection where I can rotate some in and out each year.

A little about me and my style. I'm a busy business exec who travels so, some should be work appropriate heels of 2-3". But, I also go out quite a bit! So, I love and need pretty strappy 4-5" heels too. A few pretty, easy to walk in wedge or flat sandals and shoes would be a nice add but, they have to be super cute! I will NOT be uncomfortable in my shoes so, extreme pointy toes or brands known to be beautiful but killer are OUT! My style is the classic end of glam with a little bit of an edge. Being fashionable (but not trendy) but, not looking like everyone else is important to me. I like interesting architectural elements, black, white, grey neutrals, rich jewel tones, metallics (yes!) and yummy materials.

So, please help me create a great shoe collection! What are the 10-15 must haves including both style and brand? Thanks in advance! I can't wait to see the suggestions and pictures! :nuts:

I think a good start would be to stroll through some of these dot com sites for an overview ( NM, SFA, BG, Nordies, Barney's, Net a Porter, Yoox (which has shoes from previous collections & could be an unexpected find here or there)
& have a look at various designer brands such as Louboutin, Chanel, Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik to see
what styles appeal to you. There are under the radar styles that don't scream the designers name but do have
interesting elements such as a curved heel, interesting buckle,combination of textures, etc.
You may also want to look at Charlotte Olympia who did a recent collection inspired by the
wonderful architect Zaha Hadid that have some architectural elements that may appeal to you
I'm thinking perhaps a ballet flat for casual wear, a mid heel for work, a higher heel for evening & maybe boots or booties.
There are also many interesting brands that don't have high visibility the way many top name shoes have but nonetheless
there are many interesting styles that will offer diversification to a shoe wardrobe
A tPF'er suggested a brand M Gemi which I like & wound up buying an embellished evening slipper
so there are many choices & selections for you to play around with.
The ideal shoe collection is really what appeals to you & what your budget is..

Last edited:
Nicholas Kirkwood also does very beautiful and high quality shoes.

I’m not very familiar with Coliac but they also have gorgeous designs with just a bit of edge.

Dear Frances are mid priced but beautiful.

Gray Matters is a bit more fashion-blogger but maybe perfect for days out of the office!

I have to second the Ferragamo Varas - I have 4 pairs of them in different leathers/fabrics and colors. The pump versions are work appropriate, about 2", though they have lots of different heel heights available. As a shoe brand, I think they make some of the most comfortable and durable designer heels.

Chanel espadrilles, flats and the iconic two-tone slingbacks are popular, too. I have a pair of two-tone slingbacks but with 3" pearl-studded heels and they are surprisingly comfy.

If you can't tell already, I really love comfortable designers shoes, haha. So my last recommendation would be a pair of leather sneakers from Vince or Rag & Bone - not super high end designer, but still well-made and good quality. White or black would be great for a capsule shoe wardrobe.

Reactions: dotty8
My top 3 shoes for work are all Ferragamo. I have bright Varina flats in seasonal colours, black vara block heel pumps for every day and patent black and nude Carlas for heels. Can’t go wrong!

OP great topic! Black and nude leather and/or patent leather pumps for conservative options; less conservative heels for nights out; open heels for a spring/ summer/early fall option; flats for when heels don't work; boots for stylish warmth and sneakers for activity.

A snapshot of my closet presently includes Prada pumps in black and nude to cover conservative heel needs; Valentino Rockstuds in black/poudre patent and smooth black (noir) for evening; blue, tan and red YSL Tribute sandals for spring/ summer/ early fall options (75mm and 105 mm for day or night); espadrilles for spring/ summer options (mine are Stuart Weitzman and are several years old and fabulous!); various sandals from Coach, Dr. Scholls (nostalgia lol), Prada etc; Chanel flats; Asics sneakers to work out in comfort; various boots and booties from Chanel, Prada, Chloe and Ugg for style, function and warmth.

Last edited:
Reactions: amary18 and cwool
Really great topic, I am just having the same problem.

I have short around 40 pairs, and I am only wearing the same pairs over and over. I just read an interview about collecting, and the interviewee gave one example: If you have 30 pairs of shoes, you ARE a collector. And I decided that I don’t want to be a shoe collector, since I am really really poor at it.

My reasoning so far: There is no such a thing as an ideal shoe collection, since it depends on your lifestyle, personal preferences, the climate you are in, and also, let’s face it, on the current fashion trends.
Moreover, for the sake of the shoe, one shouldn’t wear a shoe two days in a row, so one would need multiples of often used categories.

My categories could be:

Flats oxford-type (x2)
Ballerinas (x2)
Flat mokassin-type (x2)
Trainers / sneakers (x2)
Heels

Sandals flat
Sandals heels
Closed summer shoes e.g. espandrilles (x2)

Ankle boots (x2)
Classic UGGs (for warmth)
Rain boots

For rain boots, I can recommend Aigle. This is a French company that still uses real rubber, the shoes are produced in France.
Another classic is the Cendrillon ballerina of Repetto.

Ugh i want to buy a pair of chanel espadrilles but idk which pair to get. Lamb skin black , black and beige, or grey and black wool. Any suggestions

Attachments

• 3184F44B-06FF-4103-B3D3-52E2B178E48A.jpeg
    3184F44B-06FF-4103-B3D3-52E2B178E48A.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,190
  • 32240497-692D-4220-976A-674F3C02FC2B.jpeg
    32240497-692D-4220-976A-674F3C02FC2B.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,204
  • 16B16B50-BD1B-4DF5-8B7E-FD9FCB069128.jpeg
    16B16B50-BD1B-4DF5-8B7E-FD9FCB069128.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 1,203
Reactions: amary18
I am a designer shoe freak and had almost 100 pairs but I had to downsize [emoji33]. I would recommend these (some I have and some I want to have):

Chanel tall boots (so classic): somehow I have so many pairs that have lasted many years!

Valentino rock stud kitten heels in nude patent

Hermes Oran sandals

Chanel ballet flats or espadrilles

Gucci Princeton mules

Gucci Ace sneakers

Gucci Marmont pumps

Roger Vivier classic pumps

Salvatore Ferragamo black rain boots

Chanel two-tone pumps

Manolo Blanik Hangasi pumps

I have mostly Chanel, Valentino, Prada and Miu Miu shoes in my collection. I have an eclectic mix of wild and funky and more classic ones. Although I bought a couple of Louboutins, I will never buy them again because they're uncomfortable.

Have fun! Designer shoe shopping can be really addictive

I am a designer shoe freak and had almost 100 pairs but I had to downsize [emoji33]. I would recommend these (some I have and some I want to have):

Chanel tall boots (so classic): somehow I have so many pairs that have lasted many years!

Valentino rock stud kitten heels in nude patent

Hermes Oran sandals

Chanel ballet flats or espadrilles

Gucci Princeton mules

Gucci Ace sneakers

Gucci Marmont pumps

Roger Vivier classic pumps

Salvatore Ferragamo black rain boots

Chanel two-tone pumps

Manolo Blanik Hangasi pumps

I have mostly Chanel, Valentino, Prada and Miu Miu shoes in my collection. I have an eclectic mix of wild and funky and more classic ones. Although I bought a couple of Louboutins, I will never buy them again because they're uncomfortable.

Have fun! Designer shoe shopping can be really addictive!

Ugh i want to buy a pair of chanel espadrilles but idk which pair to get. Lamb skin black , black and beige, or grey and black wool. Any suggestions
I have the black lamb skin as well as black and beige. I’ve found the black & beige to be more versatile, but I like how the all black ones fit much better (the design changes slightly from year to year and my older all black pair had a slightly smaller platform and fit my feet more snuggly, even though both pairs are the same size).
12D786A5-0DFA-41F6-AC81-9A2B1C7AD252.jpegEFA4CCA1-36FF-49EA-AF7E-98CAE7949B85.jpeg

Love this topic! I have been on a designer shoe kick (pun intended!) for the past year. Primarily because I feel content (ish) with my bag collection; and I enjoy how much cheaper shoes are compared to the bags.

I wanted to preface by telling you that if you’re anything like me, you will make many mistakes when starting off your collection. And that’s ok, because each foot is different and not every recommended shoe would work for you.

You see, a ton of the shoes I bought are beautiful, popular and gorgeous on my feet — yet a lot of them ALSO hurt so badly and need breaking in, haha. I only learn this sort of thing after 3 hours out.

So take that as a friendly warning. Beautiful shoes may hurt at the start; so keep an arsenal of bandaids in your bag while experimenting! (And extra flip flops in the car for when you cannot walk an inch any more haha)

NEXT are my personal recommendations:

1. Gucci Ace Sneakers - comfy and elevates every casual outfit. I have the ones with the hearts.

2. Gucci Princetown Mules - mine are the tall block heel with the pearls on them. Classic in front, edgy at the back. I can walk all day in these, surprisingly. I cannot recommend more.

3. Balenciaga arena flat sandals - I have the t-straps and the strappy ones. Basic flat sandals with studs for bling. Love these and can walk errands for hours. Slight heel. Comfier than the Valentino rockstud sandals (Valentino’s look better tho haha)

4. Jimmy Choo Agnes or Abel pump - oh these shoes make your feet look so good!! Basic closed pointed toe, this is a beautiful staple that I will recommend. Warning, I find this needs quite a bit of breaking in to be bearable past 4 hours haha.

5. Louboutin Cataclou sandal in nude. - slight wedge, ton of bling. Casual yet full of impact!

6. Saint Laurent Tribute sandals mid heel height - truly, by far, my comfiest heels EVER. There is a reason why these babies are popular. Fits like a glove. Looks sexy. Open toe so your toes don’t die. Can dance all night. No breaking in required, in my experience.

7. Stuart Weirtman heels - I find that in the right size, SW shoes all fit splendidly. Can walk forever. My favorites are the suede hi-stop. It looks like basic pointed toe pumps but with studs all across the bottom. So unique yet classy. I also enjoy the nearly nudes (block heel, open toe, simple two straps).

THATS all I will say now. I have more shoes but they’re not so comfy (Valentino, chanel espadrilles, Louboutin heels, Prada, etc). I love them ALL though and they all look great.

It’s really a thing you need to try for yourself to see if it works for YOU. Enjoy the journey!! Don’t forget that shoes go on SALE so invest wisely!