Help! Wedding guest outfit and a miscalculation

svenesaes

O.G.
May 26, 2009
Hi all; I thought I'd found the perfect "sister of the groom" dress for my brother's wedding at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden in October.

Here is the dress:
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/319938

Perfect little cocktail dress for a late afternoon/evening wedding, right? The problem is I just found out that the wedding is at 11am! The dress has been purchased already (and btw, I love it and still want to wear it if at all possible!)

So help please. Would this dress still be okay or is it too much for a morning wedding? Could I "dress it down" with a black blazer? Or a black leather jacket maybe? This is NYC after all, so things tend to be more formal anyway. Any opinions, ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :flowers:

That's a beautiful dress, and very appropriate for a wedding. :smile:
I personally don't think that blazers or leather jackets are great options for wedding attire; I think you would be fine wearing the dress as is, or perhaps with a little cardigan if it's cool outdoors.

Thank you everyone for your opinions, and please keep them coming!

One of the most fun things about fashion for me is finding the perfect outfit to fit a particular occasion. I was thrilled to find this dress as it was just what I was looking for (definitely a "special occasion" feeling, but still demure enough not to be a "look at me!" kind of outfit, floral to suit the garden environment, fall colors, etc.). So, the mistake I made in assuming the wedding hour put me into a minor panic!

I'd be pleased to be able to wear this dress but would welcome any additional opinions, including dissenting ones. :smile:

:thinking:I think it depends on the wedding. What does the invitation say? I know it sounds like a dumb question but hopefully it will state the dress code...

Julide, the invite does not specify a dress code. My brother and his fiancee are both easygoing and "anything goes" when it comes to this kind of thing, so I would say the dress code would be dictated more by the venue, geographic area and time of day in this case, than by their expectations.

I am starting to reconsider about wearing the dress. The pattern, color, fabric and style all just seem too "dressy" for me to be contemplating putting it on at 10 in the morning! Especially for an outdoor wedding. Still pondering... :thinking:

Wear some simple jewelry, and you'll be fine. I think the dress is stunning and perfectly appropriate for a late morning wedding, so long as the accessories are not over the top. I bet you'll look beautiful in the dress :smile:

Hi all; I thought I'd found the perfect "sister of the groom" dress for my brother's wedding at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden in October.

Here is the dress:
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/319938

Perfect little cocktail dress for a late afternoon/evening wedding, right? The problem is I just found out that the wedding is at 11am! The dress has been purchased already (and btw, I love it and still want to wear it if at all possible!)

So help please. Would this dress still be okay or is it too much for a morning wedding? Could I "dress it down" with a black blazer? Or a black leather jacket maybe? This is NYC after all, so things tend to be more formal anyway. Any opinions, ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :flowers:

Love the dress !! Its fine for a 11 am wedding . :smile:

Thank you everyone for your opinions, and please keep them coming!

One of the most fun things about fashion for me is finding the perfect outfit to fit a particular occasion. I was thrilled to find this dress as it was just what I was looking for (definitely a "special occasion" feeling, but still demure enough not to be a "look at me!" kind of outfit, floral to suit the garden environment, fall colors, etc.). So, the mistake I made in assuming the wedding hour put me into a minor panic!

I'd be pleased to be able to wear this dress but would welcome any additional opinions, including dissenting ones. :smile:

I know what you mean - I enjoy the "hunt" of finding the perfect outfit too.
I still feel that the dress could work, but since you are feeling unsure, you may not feel comfortable in it. Perhaps search for another dress and save the other one for another time?

sometimes it depends on how you wear it also...
as long as you are comfortable in what you wear.....and it also depends on the guests right?
i think in NY...ppl wear a lot of black anytime of the day/event....i think for NYkers...looking chic outweights anything, except the most obvious.

Julide, the invite does not specify a dress code. My brother and his fiancee are both easygoing and "anything goes" when it comes to this kind of thing, so I would say the dress code would be dictated more by the venue, geographic area and time of day in this case, than by their expectations.

I am starting to reconsider about wearing the dress. The pattern, color, fabric and style all just seem too "dressy" for me to be contemplating putting it on at 10 in the morning! Especially for an outdoor wedding. Still pondering... :thinking:

You make a great point, it is so hard to tell what others will wear. I do think that Juneping made a good point, more than likely the guests will be over dressed than under dressed. As a family member of the bride and groom, I would rather be over dressed than under dressed. Svensaes the dress is beautiful and I hope you get to wear it soon!! Congrats to your brother!:flowers:

So, the consensus seems to be that the dress will be fine, as long as I feel comfortable in it. I will probably take a bit longer to decide (still have a couple months!) but am leaning towards wearing it. THANK YOU all so much! I truly appreciate the opinions and advice of the lovely and stylish ladies here. And thank you also for the good wishes for my family and me. :heart: