HELP! Vintage Kelly or Herbag PM Zip

SpeedyJC

LV Is A Girls Best Friend
O.G.
Jul 29, 2008
nyc/upstate
I am seriously confused right now and looking for some opinions. I have a Herbag on hold at moment but I been eyeing a beautiful vintage Kelly 35 in black box calf.

I am so torn because part of me feels like the Kelly may be too fancy for my lifestyle. I tend to lean on the causal side most days. Also the Kelly is a 35 and being 5'2 and 90 pounds I worry that it will be wearing me and me not wearing it, ive seen smaller vintage pieces but they are not from sellers I am comfortable with or condition I would want. Also I think a smaller Kelly would be too dressy looking in the black box which is the leather I would want. One other concern is I like going handsfree often and there is no strap. I would 100 percent want a vintage Kelly because I think they are so pretty.

The Herbag I plan on getting is a Toile H Berline Vache Hunter Herbag zip 31 in black ecru. I like this bag because it seems lower maintenance, lighter, more casual and has a strap.

Any opinions? There is a large price difference between the two but that is not a deciding factor for me. I have also done alot of research on Hermes(these two bags in particular) since getting my Garden Party, TPF is such a wealth of fashion knowledge.

Thank you to anyone who responds.

HKsai

Jul 24, 2016
I would say her bag just because I don’t like box for that size and quite honestly k35 is pretty big. It looks even big for me and I’m a guy and 5’7”. Don’t settle if you have doubt.

Reactions: SpeedyJC

samfalstaff

Holy Hannah!
May 31, 2013
San Rafael, California
I am seriously confused right now and looking for some opinions. I have a Herbag on hold at moment but I been eyeing a beautiful vintage Kelly 35 in black box calf.

I am so torn because part of me feels like the Kelly may be too fancy for my lifestyle. I tend to lean on the causal side most days. Also the Kelly is a 35 and being 5'2 and 90 pounds I worry that it will be wearing me and me not wearing it, ive seen smaller vintage pieces but they are not from sellers I am comfortable with or condition I would want. Also I think a smaller Kelly would be too dressy looking in the black box which is the leather I would want. One other concern is I like going handsfree often and there is no strap. I would 100 percent want a vintage Kelly because I think they are so pretty.

The Herbag I plan on getting is a Toile H Berline Vache Hunter Herbag zip 31 in black ecru. I like this bag because it seems lower maintenance, lighter, more casual and has a strap.

Any opinions? There is a large price difference between the two but that is not a deciding factor for me. I have also done alot of research on Hermes(these two bags in particular) since getting my Garden Party, TPF is such a wealth of fashion knowledge.

Thank you to anyone who responds.
Are you able to try a K35 on? I know nothing of the herbag you mentioned, but the K35 is a big bag. Is it a sellier or retourne? If retourne, then it will "slouch" and appear smaller over time. Also, retourne is much more informal. I agree with the poster above in that a canvas strap will make it less formal. Good luck in your decision!

SpeedyJC

O.G.
Jul 29, 2008
nyc/upstate
Are you able to try a K35 on? I know nothing of the herbag you mentioned, but the K35 is a big bag. Is it a sellier or retourne? If retourne, then it will "slouch" and appear smaller over time. Also, retourne is much more informal. I agree with the poster above in that a canvas strap will make it less formal. Good luck in your decision!
Hi , I could order it and then send it back if its too large but i'd rather avoid the stress of having to deal with returning such an expensive item, especially after the luck I have had in past. It is a retourne. I do have a Philip Lim Medium Pashli which is only slightly smaller than a Kelly 35 and sometimes I do feel that bag can be abit big for me to handle so I am considering that.

Thank you everyone who has responded, I do really appreciate it. So lucky to have a place with fellow bag lovers, so many just do not get it lol.

UPDATE:I think maybe a 32 box kelly will suit me best after all so will keep a look out for one I like/am comfortable buying and then follow suggestions ive been given to make it more casual,still a tad up in the air but shall see. For now will be buying the Herbag because I do think it fits my lifestyle of just walking my dog and browsing local shops(not such an exciting life over here lol) and I think its really pretty.

Last edited:
Reactions: samfalstaff

Charm

O.G.
Jan 22, 2007
Hi , I could order it and then send it back if its too large but i'd rather avoid the stress of having to deal with returning such an expensive item, especially after the luck I have had in past. It is a retourne. I do have a Philip Lim Medium Pashli which is only slightly smaller than a Kelly 35 and sometimes I do feel that bag can be abit big for me to handle so I am considering that.

Thank you everyone who has responded, I do really appreciate it. So lucky to have a place with fellow bag lovers, so many just do not get it lol.

UPDATE:I think maybe a 32 box kelly will suit me best after all so will keep a look out for one I like/am comfortable buying and then follow suggestions ive been given to make it more casual,still a tad up in the air but shall see. For now will be buying the Herbag because I do think it fits my lifestyle of just walking my dog and browsing local shops(not such an exciting life over here lol) and I think its really pretty.
I think you made the right choice, a 35 Kelly is bulky and as you have a small frame, I think the Herbag is the best choice for now and maybe later, look at Kellys in 28 and 32. Congratulations and enjoy the Herbag!

SpeedyJC

O.G.
Jul 29, 2008
nyc/upstate
I think you made the right choice, a 35 Kelly is bulky and as you have a small frame, I think the Herbag is the best choice for now and maybe later, look at Kellys in 28 and 32. Congratulations and enjoy the Herbag!
Thank you! I am super excited. I just started getting into Hermes after years of collecting and I do not know what took me so long! I just got my first ever Hermes the Garden Party a few weeks ago and I am already on my second bag. The quality and simplicity of the GP just made me fall in love with H.

Reactions: Charm

QuelleFromage

Jan 15, 2011
LA and Dubai
An Herbag is a great casual bag and as someone close to your size, a Kelly 35 can work for you in a soft leather but in Box, it will really only work handheld. You can find a vintage K28 and especially K32 in Box easily if you like gold hardware, and there is nothing like a vintage Box Kelly.

Charm

O.G.
Jan 22, 2007
Thank you! I am super excited. I just started getting into Hermes after years of collecting and I do not know what took me so long! I just got my first ever Hermes the Garden Party a few weeks ago and I am already on my second bag. The quality and simplicity of the GP just made me fall in love with H.
It's a slippery slope, I've been collecting for many years and that thirst just can't be slaked lol! Wear your new bag in the best of health and happiness, so exciting!!

SpeedyJC

O.G.
Jul 29, 2008
nyc/upstate
It's a slippery slope, I've been collecting for many years and that thirst just can't be slaked lol! Wear your new bag in the best of health and happiness, so exciting!!
Thank you! Yes it sure is a slippery slope lol. Handbags have been a hobby of mines for over a decade now. I actually rotate between my two hobbies which are handbags and antique clocks. My bag should be here by Monday but who knows with delays but would be nice if really did arrive by Monday.

An Herbag is a great casual bag and as someone close to your size, a Kelly 35 can work for you in a soft leather but in Box, it will really only work handheld. You can find a vintage K28 and especially K32 in Box easily if you like gold hardware, and there is nothing like a vintage Box Kelly.
Thank you. I am keeping an eye out. Not really sure know if I want gold or silver. Figured I will see how the Herbag is and go from there.