Help - Vintage attire preferred wedding invitation

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Help! received a wedding invitation that says "vintage attire preferred" for work friend of husband so i don't really know anybody else. The groom said 1940's attire - would a long gown be appropriate - wedding is in the evening in nyc on Oct 30th. I have a strapless navy blue evening gown which i was thinking adding a large flower to and possibly chiffon sleeves to give it a 40's look -- I would not use the jacket - see link below and let me know what you think. I normally have a hard time as i don't wear short dresses (have fat ankles). This is making me crazy.

http://www.jordanfashions.com/ShowDressDetail.aspx?collectionid=2&dressid=873&photoid=22774:nuts::nuts:

2. That could maybe work, but it looks pretty modern so you'd definitely have to tone it down.

TBH, if I was invited to something like that, I just wouldn't go. Asking someone to get some kind of specific outfit for your wedding is really tacky, IMO.

3. I think you could wear it. As you said, maybe get rid of the jacket.

What about adding longer style gloves and a vintage style handbag?

4. Haha, that was my exact reaction. You can throw a costume party, or you can throw a wedding.. but not both!

Back to the topic: OP, I think that dress would be lovely. I think as long as you do the right hair/makeup/shoes, you'll look spot on.

5. Thanks for the responses - I agree either its a wedding or its a costume party but i am stuck. great suggestion about the gloves - white or should i look for navy - i already have a vintage silver bag and will do 40s hair.

6. I think you could do white or navy. Whatever is easiest for you. Since its kind of a costumey thing, I think it doesn't have to be a perfect match anyway. With a vintage bag and hair, you'll be good to go!

7. I like the idea of a costume-wedding.... I think the dress would be fine.. add pearls!!

8. #8 Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  9. Depending on where you live, you should be able to find a vintage store near you. Or you can search 1940 vintage patterns and get ideas from the styles.

Another way you can go is a suit. Vintage womens suits are very similar in style to some modern styles you can buy. They usually have an A-line skirt, the jacket is shorter, usually hits about mid-hip length, and they nip in at the waist. I've also noticed that vintage suits tend to button a little higher than modern suits, but not always. When I got married I wore a 1940's suit because it is such a classic style.

Good luck on your search. Post pics when you find your outfit. It sounds like a lot of fun.

If you are interested I could pull out some of my suit jackets and take pics. I doubt I can still squeeze into them because I'm about 30 lbs heavier now.