Help : uni, LV, judgment parents

glamourity7

Feb 2, 2013
Hello guys , i need some help from everyone .

I'm 16 (going onto 17) and i really like bags, like a lot . Atm I'm planning to get Michael kors (with my own money) to use during my last year of school. At the same time, I'm also saving to buy the Louis Vuiton Westminister next year August (in time for uni ) . The problem is : my parents don't believe in spending over 50 pounds for such things, so i don't know if i should tell them thats what I'm saving for or if i should just *lie* ?

Basically, i need help getting this bag without getting judged by my parents ...

Thanks in advance :smile:

I'm 16 (going onto 17) and i really like bags, like a lot . Atm I'm planning to get Michael kors (with my own money) to use during my last year of school. At the same time, I'm also saving to buy the Louis Vuiton Westminister next year August (in time for uni ) . The problem is : my parents don't believe in spending over 50 pounds for such things, so i don't know if i should tell them thats what I'm saving for or if i should just *lie* ?

Basically, i need help getting this bag without getting judged by my parents ...

Well, if you're saving your own money that you've earned from working, then I don't think they should mind if you choose to spend it on a bag. And if you choose to tell them or not is entirely up to you.

But if you're saving money they give you, like an allowance or something, then yes I think you should let them know what you're saving it up for. I think it's good that you have goals and are willing to save for them, but I don't think you should deceive your parents.

If you're saving it with your own money then its really your choice what you spend it on.
Maybe explain to your parents why owning these things is so important to you, not everybody agrees with spending money on the same thing.

Often people simply have different interests and may be comfortable spending say £1000 on a guitar but not a bag. Its all personal choice.

Thank you for the advice ladies . Well, some will be from allowance and some from a part time job, as I'm also saving for university (hehe i like to plan ahead and save). Argh, i just know they will make me feel guilty for it...

I think it's great that you are so young and saving up! That's very admirable!

I'm 27 and afraid to tell my mom what bag I bought or how much it was! I think she might have a heart attack or something! Best of luck!

I think it's great that you are so young and saving up! That's very admirable!

I'm 27 and afraid to tell my mom what bag I bought or how much it was! I think she might have a heart attack or something! Best of luck!

I like this post :smile:

Although your parents may think spending that much is mad, they may also be proud that you are being responsible and saving.

I say well done you, but do explain your passion to your mum xx

I had a similar issue with my mother when I was in high school. There was a cute patchwork Coach pochette I'd had my eye on and I begged and begged my mother for it for my Christmas/Birthday (they're only two weeks apart). She refused to spend that much on a purse. So I used all of my Christmas and Birthday money + more of my own to purchase it and that was my first designer bag ever. My mom had said that it was my money and I could "blow it" on whatever I wanted.

I would be upfront with them especially if you feel that it could cause problems. It's better to be honest about it. I think it is great that you have a goal and you're working towards it. Explain that to your parents that it is something that you really want and isn't an impulse buy. It is an investment and something you can use for years to come. It's also something that if you do decide to sell it the resale values don't decrease too much as long as the bag is well maintained. You could pull the whole "its teaching you responsibility" and that it's teaching you how to manage your money.

Best of luck!!

well, if you're saving your own money that you've earned from working, then i don't think they should mind if you choose to spend it on a bag. And if you choose to tell them or not is entirely up to you.

But if you're saving money they give you, like an allowance or something, then yes i think you should let them know what you're saving it up for. I think it's good that you have goals and are willing to save for them, but i don't think you should deceive your parents.

+1

Erm.... I still don't tell my parents the amount of $$ I spent on anything even if they ask, I would just say not much & I am an old working married adult & not living with them anymore :P:P

Well, there is nothing wrong in saving up for what you want. Just be prepared for some nagging...

Erm.... I still don't tell my parents the amount of $$ I spent on anything even if they ask, I would just say not much & I am an old working married adult & not living with them anymore :P:P

Well, there is nothing wrong in saving up for what you want. Just be prepared for some nagging...

Oh I never tell my parents or fiance EXACTLY how much I spend on items like bags, shoes, etc. I may fib a bit on that part.

But yes definitely be prepared for nagging. I've accepted that that is unavoidable.

I'm 26 and I wouldn't dream of discussing the prices of my bags with my dad! :faint:

If you're making your own money and saving for it, that's great. Good for you! Perhaps you should just not mention it to your folks. Keeping it to yourself isn't exactly lying. ;) Hey, there are a lot of worse things you could be spending your cash on, right?!