Help! Trying to choose a special piece of jewelry

HeidiDavis

O.G.
Feb 10, 2014
Hello!

I have three children that have been my life for the last 18+ years. Now that they are getting older and starting to launch, I want to buy myself a piece of "mother's jewelry" to mark this time in my life. I have raised these kids largely on my own and I am proud of that accomplishment and of the amazing people they have become. :smile:

Anyway, I cannot seem to decide what kind of jewelry to get! I have considered the traditional "mother's ring" with the birthstones. I have also thought about getting a Cartier Trinity band and engraving each band with one of my kid's names. I have even contemplated ordering a necklace with three 18k gold dog tags with photos laser-printed on them (Kelly Gerber and several other websites do this). But I am at an impasse! Does anyone have suggestions? What have others done in the past? I know lots of other moms must do this. Please help!!!! Thank you! :smile:

Hello!

I have three children that have been my life for the last 18+ years. Now that they are getting older and starting to launch, I want to buy myself a piece of "mother's jewelry" to mark this time in my life. I have raised these kids largely on my own and I am proud of that accomplishment and of the amazing people they have become. :smile:

Anyway, I cannot seem to decide what kind of jewelry to get! I have considered the traditional "mother's ring" with the birthstones. I have also thought about getting a Cartier Trinity band and engraving each band with one of my kid's names. I have even contemplated ordering a necklace with three 18k gold dog tags with photos laser-printed on them (Kelly Gerber and several other websites do this). But I am at an impasse! Does anyone have suggestions? What have others done in the past? I know lots of other moms must do this. Please help!!!! Thank you! :smile:

I love charm necklaces from Helen Ficalora. She has a wonderful collection of initial charms with and without diamonds in all three gold choices as well as hundreds of charms that you can add to your necklace to make it even more customizable. Birthstones, hearts, words, hobbies, pets, you name it! I have her diamonds by the yard in 20" with a mom charm and a 24" twisted chain with the initials of my twin boys and my husband as well as their birthstones. Her pieces are not super "shiny" looking but instead have a handmade quality to them that makes them even more endearing. I never take mine off and they still look great after 6 years of constant wear! It's really worth checking out one of her boutiques or her Facebook and Instagram accounts as her website doesn't even come close to showing all the charms. The first picture are my own charms but I attached a professional pic so you can see the texture of her pieces better. The initial charms are flat so I don't know why mine look so puffy or domed.
https://helenficalora.com/

IMG_1485390354.189060.jpg
IMG_1485390404.224656.jpg

I love charm necklaces from Helen Ficalora. She has a wonderful collection of initial charms with and without diamonds in all three gold choices as well as hundreds of charms that you can add to your necklace to make it even more customizable. Birthstones, hearts, words, hobbies, pets, you name it! I have her diamonds by the yard in 20" with a mom charm and a 24" twisted chain with the initials of my twin boys and my husband as well as their birthstones. Her pieces are not super "shiny" looking but instead have a handmade quality to them that makes them even more endearing. I never take mine off and they still look great after 6 years of constant wear! It's really worth checking out one of her boutiques or her Facebook and Instagram accounts as her website doesn't even come close to showing all the charms. The first picture are my own charms but I attached a professional pic so you can see the texture of her pieces better. The initial charms are flat so I don't know why mine look so puffy or domed.
https://helenficalora.com/

View attachment 3585647
View attachment 3585648
Perfect idea, Twin-Fun!

Thank you so much for the suggestion and the great pictures, twin-fun! :heart: I love your necklaces, especially the one with the initials and birthstones! Were the birthstones on it also purchased from Helen Ficalora? It looks like you have an amethyst. I would also need an amethyst, along with an aquamarine and a citrine. The chain you have is really pretty too. Do you like having this necklace hang a little longer? Most of my chains are 16-18', but with so many charms, I'm thinking a longer chain would be better in this case.

I prefer a longer chain with several charms. The twisted chain is actually 24" and I think it looks more relaxed than trying to get that many on a 16-18" chain. Yes, the birthstone charms are from HF as well. I don't know why they are not shown on her website. They are called cabochon birthstone charms. The citrine on the mom charm is another of her birthstone charms.

Reactions: HeidiDavis
Hi, MyDogTink! I recognize you from my favorite forum, the VCA one! ;) My kids' birthstones are amethyst, aquamarine, and topaz/citrine. They actually look kind of pretty together, albeit a little colorful. Lol. Can you recommend any websites or jewelers that do bracelets like the one you suggested? That might be pretty!

Hi, MyDogTink! I recognize you from my favorite forum, the VCA one! ;) My kids' birthstones are amethyst, aquamarine, and topaz/citrine. They actually look kind of pretty together, albeit a little colorful. Lol. Can you recommend any websites or jewelers that do bracelets like the one you suggested? That might be pretty!
Maybe 3 David Yurman Bracelets? The bangles would stack nicely together or you can separate for different occasions.

Yes, Jewelry is addicting and VCA is a slippery slope. Crazy DH and I are sitting outside at an ice bar. I gave him a few martinis quickly last night and got him talking about VCA! Your idea is great and so special. Effy has a pretty rainbow sapphire collection. Maybe you can get ideas and work with a local jeweler. Look at their rainbow sapphire bracelet and these earrings look like they could give a good starting point. Let us know how this works out for you!!!IMG_1485630964.157837.jpg

Reactions: HeidiDavis