Food Help this Brit with some down home cooking....

chanelbaby

Jul 2, 2006
I met and fell in love with my boyfriend whilst I was serving in the Middle East.

I'm moving to Alabama soon.......but I'm a Brit so have no idea how to cook anything southern.

I would really appreciate it if my PF sisters could help me with their favourite recipes for some down home cooking.

Thanks a million in advance. :idea:

Mmmmm, I love southern cooking! I lived in southern Mississippi for quite a number of years (Petal, to be exact) and in my time there I became quite accustomed to the southern kitchen :smile:

Where in Alabama will you be moving to?

Typical southern dishes:
- Collard Greens (yuck!)
- Corn Bread (Mmmmm!!!! You can get this in a box, but home made is good too - sorry, don't have a recipe but I'm sure one from Williams-Sonoma would be good!)
- Read Beans & Rice
- Craw daddy's! (Cray-fish)
- Chicken with white gravy...Mmmm

Valley Alabama, its near Auburn and Lannett, about one half hours from Atlanta Airport.

I can't wait to live there, I been there twice already and met his folks. His maw maw has buckets of charm and his family were super nice, I love them to bits.

I've tried corn bread and biscuit, which were both really lovely.

I met and fell in love with my boyfriend whilst I was serving in the Middle East.

I'm moving to Alabama soon.......but I'm a Brit so have no idea how to cook anything southern.

I would really appreciate it if my PF sisters could help me with their favourite recipes for some down home cooking.

Thanks a million in advance. :idea:

Brave Lass - Good luck with the move and the adjustment to civvy street.

You should just come to my house and I will teach you how to cook country style!!LOL......I think is a website on the internet with nothing but southern food on it.......be sure to learn how to fry EVERYTHING, make good gravy, how to make good greens (with a ham hock and lots of fat!), and of course good sweet tea, oh and pecan pie to top it all off!!