Help! The bag I love hurts my shoulder.

gretsch

Sep 6, 2007
I have a Marc Jacobs Faridah that I love in every way except the shoulder strap is too thin for the weight of the bag. It really hurts my arm and if there isn't a solution I will not be able to keep it. I already went to one place (that specializes is shoes not bags) and they suggested opening the stitching and putting some kind of stuffing in it and then sewing it back up. I am not fond of that idea, plus they would charge $75. I am hoping for a cheaper and better solution. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated! :confused1:

I have a Marc Jacobs Faridah that I love in every way except the shoulder strap is too thin for the weight of the bag. It really hurts my arm and if there isn't a solution I will not be able to keep it. I already went to one place (that specializes is shoes not bags) and they suggested opening the stitching and putting some kind of stuffing in it and then sewing it back up. I am not fond of that idea, plus they would charge $75. I am hoping for a cheaper and better solution. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated! :confused1:

You can have a little shoulder guard made, that is flat and wide;slips onto (around) the skinny diggy strap. If your strap is not adjustable, the guard would have to be snap or velcro closed over the strap. A little foam between the leather pieces will make it cushy.

are you carrying heavy things in the bag ?

Last edited:
I have a Faridah, but the strap is wide, slightly padded, and very comfortable, though it is a big and heavy bag. I'm not an MBMJ expert, but I'm wondering if they made the Faridah with different straps?

There was a thread about these ergopads on evilbay...I think they are about $15 or so, but I have bought some for my bags that keep slipping and I noticed that they made some of my shoulder pain dissipate...the colors aren't very complimentary to the pretty bags most of the gals here have, but it beats having a sore shoulder!

I have attached a picture of the bag so you can tell what the strap is like. It is 1" wide and not padded at all. For the weight of the bag, it is pretty thin. Stormy Heart, I have also attached a picture of a Cole Haan bag that has what looks like a type of "shoulder guard." I was hoping that might be something that would fix my problem, I just don't know how and where to get that made. I also need it to be cheaper than $75! Audball67, I did see that ergopad thing, and it sounds great and just what I need, however, it looks kind of unattractive to put on the beautiful bag. If I were to somehow get a "shoulder guard" made for the bag, do they work pretty well? Does anyone have a bag with one?

Attachments

• mj.jpg
    mj.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 96
  • strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 82
I have attached a picture of the bag so you can tell what the strap is like. It is 1" wide and not padded at all. For the weight of the bag, it is pretty thin. Stormy Heart, I have also attached a picture of a Cole Haan bag that has what looks like a type of "shoulder guard." I was hoping that might be something that would fix my problem, I just don't know how and where to get that made. I also need it to be cheaper than $75! Audball67, I did see that ergopad thing, and it sounds great and just what I need, however, it looks kind of unattractive to put on the beautiful bag. If I were to somehow get a "shoulder guard" made for the bag, do they work pretty well? Does anyone have a bag with one?
The one in the second picture looks about right. You can ask your shoeguy to stitch you one. Bring in your purse and tell him where you need a pad while you wear it. He can show you what leather he has around and you choose. It shouldn't be expensive, but if he makes you a wrap style, you can use it on other bags, too. Hope this helps, let us know how you work it out.
**If you have the bottom piece that faces your shoulder made of suede, it won't slip, top (showing side ) can be smooth.

Last edited:
The place I went to that wanted to charge $75 to stuff the strap didn't seem to have any other ideas for me, and I didn't get the feeling they had any leather laying around. I looked up leather repair and there weren't a lot of choices in my area...but there were a couple, so I will see if another place seems to have better expertise with bags. I hope so because I really love the bag. One last thing, can anyone tell me if the "shoulder guards" really do offer significant comfort?

There was a thread about these ergopads on evilbay...I think they are about $15 or so, but I have bought some for my bags that keep slipping and I noticed that they made some of my shoulder pain dissipate...the colors aren't very complimentary to the pretty bags most of the gals here have, but it beats having a sore shoulder!
ergopad would help.