Help/Suggestions appreciated

nanrao

O.G.
May 3, 2006
Hi everyone,

I just brought home the empriente leather melie in black. As I posted earlier, the corners bother me more than the lack of zippers. I am not sure if I am justified in my worry or if I'm being plain silly. I tend to go towards hobo bags a lot and one of the regrets of my life is that I never got to LV in time to grab a Galliera hobo. Of late, I have also realized that I love cross body bags - of course they can't be too big or heavy if that is the case. I prefer a light bag - not too much hardware - understated and classic. So far I have the Sully MM, the Bloomsbury PM (my first LV), the Duomo hobo, Eva crossbody and the PM in the Monogram print ( I actually loved the reverse in person and was all set to get that, but it was literally sold under my nose). I am 5'1" and definitely on the larger side.
My question is this - should I get the Palm Springs Mini Backpack and return the Melie or should I keep the Melie? I also realize that most of the bags are on the smaller side of things and it is super convenient for my life right now. I don't carry a lot (but always appreciate the extra room just in case). Will the Palm Springs be something I like now because it is cute (yes I tried it on and walked away) or will it stand the test of time? It is super on trend (and me and trendy are poles apart lol - I am always late to the party)? I like that the melie can be shoulder carry or crossbody and it is fantastically light for being a leather bag. So even if I put stuff in, it should not weigh me down.
I'm trying hard to be very sure of what I want and only keep bags that will fit my life. As pretty as the rest is, I don't want or need to have them all. I don't do two strap bags very well - they have all gone back in the past. And for travel, I'd much rather use something like a longchamp or something along those lines.
The Delightful is too close to the Duomo for me to take it seriously, although it seems like one of those bags everyone must have - hate to say it, but a good all purpose all the time bag if you will.
So should i keep the melie or exchange it for the palm springs mini? Or should I exchange it for the PM in Empriente leather? Again, already have one of it so what is the point of getting two of the same?
First world problems I know. And thank you so much for taking the time to read this rambling post and help me come to a decision....

Nandini

I will share something with you that perhaps YOU can relate. After owning several bags, I came to a conclusion that there is no perfect bag, and the "obsession" for perfection goes up with the price tag. My demand for a certain bag depends on my mood that day. I know this from going to the LV store and trying bags....I also find that if I like the bag I find at least ONE thing that I would like to tweak, and when you are spending that kind of money you want it to work for you 100%.

Example: I like the Duomo crossbody, but I wish it had a quickly accessible outside pocket and I wish it would come with 2 removable straps- a thinner shoulder strap and the crossbody. Other bags I would like to shrink...Ive been to the store thinking oh yes, THIS is the bag. A month later I'll try another thinking THIS is the bag and what was I thinking a month ago (?)
The reason it's a big decision is because you cannot just Willy Nilly return and exchange. The SAs are nice when you're purchasing but not as nice when exchanging....:oh:

It really sounds like your love for the Melie is being outweighed by your concerns of it showing wear and tear which, unless you plan to hide it away in its dustbag all the time, is inevitable. Maybe what you do 'need' right now is a casual workhorse bag like the Delightful - yes, it looks like the Duomo hobo but so does the Sully if you stop and think about it. The only thing I can suggest is going back to the store, after having a chance to reflect and sleep on Melie for a day or so, and trying the Delightful on along with another bag that catches your eye; if you're still unhappy with the Melie and can't find an immediate alternative then still ask for a refund and wait to see what LV offers down the road.

Reactions: prepster
The fact that you took the time to write such a post suggests that you are not in love with your purchase, thus you should probably exchange it. The corners of any leather bag will be one of the first areas to show some wear, that's inevitable.
I realised it as soon as I hit the post key - that I am not a 100% about it. Thanks for the input.

I will share something with you that perhaps YOU can relate. After owning several bags, I came to a conclusion that there is no perfect bag, and the "obsession" for perfection goes up with the price tag. My demand for a certain bag depends on my mood that day. I know this from going to the LV store and trying bags....I also find that if I like the bag I find at least ONE thing that I would like to tweak, and when you are spending that kind of money you want it to work for you 100%.

Example: I like the Duomo crossbody, but I wish it had a quickly accessible outside pocket and I wish it would come with 2 removable straps- a thinner shoulder strap and the crossbody. Other bags I would like to shrink...Ive been to the store thinking oh yes, THIS is the bag. A month later I'll try another thinking THIS is the bag and what was I thinking a month ago (?)
The reason it's a big decision is because you cannot just Willy Nilly return and exchange. The SAs are nice when you're purchasing but not as nice when exchanging....:oh:

I think you hit the nail on the head - the pressure of it - two weeks to decide and then the whole hassle of returning and the expectation that the bag will be perfect. And yes, every bag needs some tweaking and then it will be awesome. On some level I do realize that nothing is perfect - the creasing leather and all that doesn't bother me, because it is the nature of leather, but the corner wearing - OMG! I just need to get over it and make a call! Thanks for weighing in!

It really sounds like your love for the Melie is being outweighed by your concerns of it showing wear and tear which, unless you plan to hide it away in its dustbag all the time, is inevitable. Maybe what you do 'need' right now is a casual workhorse bag like the Delightful - yes, it looks like the Duomo hobo but so does the Sully if you stop and think about it. The only thing I can suggest is going back to the store, after having a chance to reflect and sleep on Melie for a day or so, and trying the Delightful on along with another bag that catches your eye; if you're still unhappy with the Melie and can't find an immediate alternative then still ask for a refund and wait to see what LV offers down the road.
True that, except the Sully is Mono and the Duomo is DE. My concern was also whether I was getting too many smallish bags - were they becoming too similar in terms of the purpose they would serve. Thank you for your advice - I will reflect on it and make a sane decision. Second guessing is the bane of my existence.

maybe the Twice could fit your needs? it's crossbody, leather, lightweight, etc. the one you purchased doesn't sound like it's made you perfectly happy.
That was the one I orginally went for - I could pack it inside bigger totes while traveling etc. I don't know why I let myself get talked out of it - ah yes - the SA said if I was going to look at the Pochette Metis I should not look at the twice because they're basically the same bag. But maybe that is what i should do.

That was the one I orginally went for - I could pack it inside bigger totes while traveling etc. I don't know why I let myself get talked out of it - ah yes - the SA said if I was going to look at the Pochette Metis I should not look at the twice because they're basically the same bag. But maybe that is what i should do.
maybe compare your bloomsbury to your current pm - which opening do you like best of the two? the zipper or front lock? that might help narrow your selections when looking for a new bag. the twice/pm, for example, have different ways to access stuff and we all have preferences for that, too.

Why are you stressing so much that the corners might show wear? I have the Bagatelle and I don't think the corners have shown the slightest bit of wear in the several months I've owned it. I think worrying about what MIGHT happen to your bag is silly. If you like the bag then keep it and enjoy it. If you don't then return it for something else. I know a lot of people like the mini backpack but I think it's ridiculously tiny. If you think it would suit you then return the Melie and get it.

Why are you stressing so much that the corners might show wear? I have the Bagatelle and I don't think the corners have shown the slightest bit of wear in the several months I've owned it. I think worrying about what MIGHT happen to your bag is silly. If you like the bag then keep it and enjoy it. If you don't then return it for something else. I know a lot of people like the mini backpack but I think it's ridiculously tiny. If you think it would suit you then return the Melie and get it.

I don't know why either especially as I am okay about so many other aspects of leather. I do love the bag for how light and comfortable it is and I can only hope that it will get softer and nicer the way leather does over time. And yes, as I keep telling my kids worrying about what might happen is very silly and I can't believe I am doing that over a bag. The mini backpack was more a passing thing for me at least - won't work very well for me and I have a few bags that fit that purpose.

You have a lot of hobo-esque bags. I guess I'm not understanding what unique purpose another one, regardless of the color, will serve. Granted, I'm not a hobo girl, so it's possible I'm not getting the remarkable differences between the Melie and the bags you already have, and if so, I apologize. Are you just wanting a new bag or is there some new purpose/intended use that you are seeking to fill? If so, and your other hobo bags are not doing the trick, it's possible that another hobo won't either.

I realised it as soon as I hit the post key - that I am not a 100% about it. Thanks for the input.
For the bags that I actually love but are afraid to use and show wear and tear, I buy them pre-loved. Mostly mono bags due to the vachetta, but maybe that is something to consider? I'm not afraid to use DE bags at all but mono bags scare me unless they are pre-loved. I bought and returned a mono Eva b/c I was afraid to use it but bought one pre-loved and use it regularly. I *almost* bought a mono Speedy b 25 but again was scared away. I just bought a pre-loved 30 and can't wait to use it! :lol:
I guess my point is - would a pre-loved bag be an option so the wear and tear may not be a fear...the bandaid would already be ripped off, so to speak :smile:
Good luck deciding - I know it's tough!

You have a lot of hobo-esque bags. I guess I'm not understanding what unique purpose another one, regardless of the color, will serve. Granted, I'm not a hobo girl, so it's possible I'm not getting the remarkable differences between the Melie and the bags you already have, and if so, I apologize. Are you just wanting a new bag or is there some new purpose/intended use that you are seeking to fill? If so, and your other hobo bags are not doing the trick, it's possible that another hobo won't either.
It is a few things - I am trying not to do same or too similar bags but i also know that for me to actually use a bag it has to be a hobo style or a crossbody. I know that I will not use just a handheld bag or a very structured bag - my preference is for a bag that is forgiving or rather will have some slouch to it. So in terms of style the melie is not very different from what I have and you are spot on about that. I also don't carry too much with me at any given time, but like to have the room in case I have put stuff in. The other bag I am considering is on the other end of the spectrum - the palm springs mini - love that it can be used cross body but it is not a slouch sort of bag and it is small. I do realize the hobos are repetitive, but apparently that doesn't bother me as much as having too many small bags that fit just the basics. I don't have anything the size of the melie - the sully and duomo are smaller which is why I think it is a nice option to have. I know I am rambling a bit here but all of your responses has given me a lot of food to think about and really assess what I want the bag to do! Thanks for pitching in and making me think.