Help! Sticky Grained Leather Card Holder

ozorezanitako

Jun 10, 2020
Hi everyone... I noticed that the surface of my YSL card holder in grained leather is starting to feel a bit sticky and I'm not sure why. When comparing the feel with the inner part of the card slot, I can tell that the exterior definitely feels more sticky. I tend to shove the card holder in my (clean) jeans pocket when I go for lunch break at work, so I'm not sure if that could be the cause? Anyone has experienced the same issue, or have any possible solution to remove the stickiness? It's not too bad to the point where dust or lint will stick to it--I'm just bothered by the feel of it and hope it doesn't get worse :sad:

15948675696746425288241943413426.jpg

I HAVE T HIS ONE TOO,, I ONLY HAD IT FOR 2MONTHS BUT THE CORNERS ARE HAVING ALREADY PEELED OFF..I TAKE REALLY GOOD CARE OF MY STUFFS AND THIS NEVER HAPPENED WITH MY OTHER LV ONES... IAM QUITE DISAPPOINTED.

I have the grain leather and the handle of my bag feel sticky compare to the rest of the bag. I tried to moisturize it with leather moisturizer and it removed most of the stickiness. However, after a few days, the stickiness comes back, but not as bad as before. I wonder what is causing this. Anyone else have the same problem?

Reactions: Jill0819
I have the grain leather and the handle of my bag feel sticky compare to the rest of the bag. I tried to moisturize it with leather moisturizer and it removed most of the stickiness. However, after a few days, the stickiness comes back, but not as bad as before. I wonder what is causing this. Anyone else have the same problem?

I read that apparently it's a common issue for people who live in humid climate (I do) :sad:
They say to put the silica gel packets in the dustbag thay you store your purse in to absorb extra moisture and keep the leather dry.
However, as this is a SLG and I use it everyday, I couldn't be bothered to do that for this card holder and just continue using it.
I've started putting silica gels in all my other purses though.
Perhaps you could give it a try?
Also, in your case, the handle might be the first to develop stickiness because it also comes in contact with moisture in our skin.

Reactions: HappyAngel
I had this sticky issue for my YSL wallet and I tried using Collonil Leather gel. didn’t work. I then tried using some baby powder to lightly dust over. This helped a little, but still a tweeny bit sticky. So I eventually gave up and just let it air ...left it alone in air conditioned room for a week. And the stickiness is gone. Maybe the combination of baby powder + airing it helped. I no longer have this issue with the wallet.

I had this sticky issue for my YSL wallet and I tried using Collonil Leather gel. didn’t work. I then tried using some baby powder to lightly dust over. This helped a little, but still a tweeny bit sticky. So I eventually gave up and just let it air ...left it alone in air conditioned room for a week. And the stickiness is gone. Maybe the combination of baby powder + airing it helped. I no longer have this issue with the wallet.

I started placing silice gel packets in the box I store my bags/wallets in, hoping that it will help to absorb any excess moisture that may cause the stickiness.
How long did you leave the baby powder on?
Did you dust it off immediately?
Did it make the leather appear more dull?

I started placing silice gel packets in the box I store my bags/wallets in, hoping that it will help to absorb any excess moisture that may cause the stickiness.
How long did you leave the baby powder on?
Did you dust it off immediately?
Did it make the leather appear more dull?

I dusted it off .. maybe an hour later. I also used a v lightly damp cloth to wipe off and quickly dry off. I think I did this dusting with baby powder twice. No dulling of leather at all. The stickiness started for me cos I left the wallet in the box for months ... no ventilation perhaps? So no more leaving expensive leather goods in the boxes from then onwards. I also had the similar stickiness issue with my YSL WOC which I left in a cupboard. I now use a dehumidifier in the cupboard where I store my bags and SLGs.

Reactions: ozorezanitako
I have a similar issue here. My wallet is totally ruined. The stickiness wont go away. The shiny top coat is like gone completely. Very dull and tacky looking. I hang my wallet to air at my backyard for more than several weeks now. Yesterday I tried to dab a bit of corn starch to it because I was so desperate. Those corn starch stuck on the stitches to make matter worse.

Maybe I will try again today. Dab a bit with proper baby powder and wipe it off in an hour and put it in air con room. Got nothing to loose since the wallet is basically ruined now.

I just got a preloved YSL zip wallet today and it’s sticky as well. The previous owner mentioned she would condition it once a month and leave it overnight. As much as I love this wallet I know the stickiness is going to drive me bonkers

I have a similar issue here. My wallet is totally ruined. The stickiness wont go away. The shiny top coat is like gone completely. Very dull and tacky looking. I hang my wallet to air at my backyard for more than several weeks now. Yesterday I tried to dab a bit of corn starch to it because I was so desperate. Those corn starch stuck on the stitches to make matter worse.

Maybe I will try again today. Dab a bit with proper baby powder and wipe it off in an hour and put it in air con room. Got nothing to loose since the wallet is basically ruined now.
Sorry for reviving old thread but are you still using your wallet now?

Reactions: youngwriter16