Help! Sort of make-up newbie!

carousel eyes

Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
I feel kind of embarrassed posting, but I've never really used make-up before. I'm 20, and a few years ago I used to use eyeliner and eyeshadow, but that's about it. IDK. I've just never been bothered to use anything cos I guess I kind of thought, 'oh, I don't need make-up to look beautiful', plus I just never knew what to buy and I didn't want to irritate/clog my skin. But, now that I'm older I want to get more serious - try it out and play with colors, etc. But, I need help with basics. What do you recommend for starters? I'm Asian, so I have a darker skin tone [maybe medium-ish], but right now it's not as dark as it gets in the summer. I also have combination skin, but more on the oily side. I don't want anything too expensive at the moment, esp. since I'll probably take a while to get into a beauty routine.

Help, please!

P.S. I also really want to try an eye cream because I get bad bags/dark circles under my eyes, esp. when I stay up late to study or do a paper. Eek! So any recommendations for that? Again, I don't want anything too expensive. Preferably $30 or lower, if that's possible.

alexandra28

Chanel, LV & Hermes
O.G.
Jun 5, 2009
USA
I would highly recommend you going to makeup counters and asking around for suggestions on colors, etc... I am a MACaholic recuperating :shame: therefore i would recommend having them doing a makeover and suggesting you a few things. In my MAC counter, you have to buy at least $50 worth of products for them to do a makeup. That on my early begginings helped me alot! I do love MAC's concealers. They have a few that are really good. Even if you do not go to MAC, you can try Sephora, ULTA, or some other brand. Always ask them how much you are required to purchase, that way you have an idea.

I also like Makeup Forever's concelear (you can find it at Sephora) and Amazing Cosmetics Concelear (you can find it at ULTA). As far as drug store concelears that i like, i do love Physicians Formula concelears. You can find these on sale at CVS, Walgreens, Target and groceries.

alexandra28

Chanel, LV & Hermes
O.G.
Jun 5, 2009
USA
Yeah. Most department stores makeup lines, will gladly do a makeover. Most of them expect a sale out of it. The makeup application is "free" with the purchase of something. Some like MAC have a minimum dollar amount. Find out which one you are interested on and what they require as far as sell, or go to your local Sephora. There, they are not brand "specific" and can give you general recommendations.
When i first started with makeup, i really enjoyed getting my makeup done by MAC (hence my first recommendation), and i truly learned a lot.
And BTW - even thou i love MAC and do not personally love their foundations. But you can be you own judge on if you like them or not.
Good luck and have fun trying makeup!!!!

Loquita

May 16, 2008
Hi carousel eyes! ITA w/ alexandra's suggestion that you go to a MAC counter or to a counter for any other brand whose aesthetic or "look" appeals to you (and even though I am a MAC junky, I also agree with her that MAC foundations are not the best).

If you are going to start a small, yet quality, makeup collection, I would suggest spending your money in the following way:

- Invest more money in concealer and foundation if you buy them. They need to be professionally matched to look good, and you have more choices in terms of shades and formulas from department store brands, Sephora, or Ulta, for ex.

- You can skimp on things like mascara and color cosmetics (lipsticks, liners, shadows, etc) in general, at least until you have a better sense of what works for you.

- I would also opt for buying a few essential makeup brushes and starting from there. I wasn't aware of how much of a different decent brushes make until the last year or so, but I have been blown away by how much better my makeup looks when I use them! MAC is a fantastic brand for this - but if you do your homework around here you can find some great dupes for certain MAC brushes. :smile:

As for concealer and foundation recommendations, I would def. look at Bobbi Brown. Her foundations are yellow-based, which makes them look very natural on olive/Asian skin. She has a new foundation out called Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation which is for combo/oily skin and it is killer. It's not cheap, but a little bit goes a long way. I also love Bobbi Brown's concealers and correctors. Whatever you do, just make sure the foundation you get is oil-free.

If you want nice skin care that's not crazy in price, I would look at Mario Badescu. The eye creams are within your budget (the one I use from them is $18) and they are good - in fact, MB is great for people with combo skin in general. I would check out the Mario Badescu thread in the Beauty Bar for suggestions!

Your local Nordie's is a great place to try out MAC, Mario Badescu, and Bobbi Brown, btw - they are very good about giving you samples of anything you want to try, too.

HTH :smile:

Bridget S.

Apr 27, 2006
Also, call your local MAC counters and ask if they are doing a Studio Talk, you pay $50 to attend, but you can use all of it towards products. The talk itself is several hours long and it's basically a makeup class, they take you from putting on concealer to lipstick and everything in between! I thought it was great and I don't think I'm a makeup beginner. They also encourage you to take notes and even provided a pencil and paper.
I don't know if the stand alone stores do it, or just the counters within the department stores. I went to the one at Macy's, Bloomingdales in my area is doing one soon.
Also, invest in a good eye shadow primer, read up on Makeupalley for reviews, you can put cheap shadows over Urban Decay Primer Potion and have them show up true to colour and last the whole day. Sephora has one for $8 which is not the best, but pretty good, a little sticky until you get the shadow to stick to it.