Help! Soles wearing out on Varinas

Aug 20, 2007
Dear ladies, I bought a pair of Varinas only very recently, worn them to work twice (obviously had to walk on the pavement and gravel), and despite me taking the greatest care in walking, the soles are still getting worn. It's breaking my heart! Should I get them resoled, or would resole-ing ruin the shoes? Bearing in mind that this is a fairly new pair, and that the soles are already chipping off to reveal the grey portions at the bottom. I really want this pair to last, and plan to wear it everyday as my "work" shoe.

Advice, please?

This isn't uncommon with leather-soled shoes. Many of the ladies in the shoe forum seem to get their shoes resoled as soon as they get them. I've had shoes resoled after they have been worn down, but they were usually cheaper pairs anyway. I would just find the best place in your area and ask for their opinion. A very good cobbler should be able to do it without any problems, but some cobblers aren't used to dealing with high-end footwear.

That's totally common with any high-end shoes because of the leather sole, as Frugalfinds said. Even though they are wearing down, they should still last a long time as they were made to last even without being resoled. It just doesn't look as good with the rubbed down sole...

I get Vibram rubber bottoms put on every decent shoe I own. The cobbler I go to uses the Cat's Paw brand, I think. They come in many colors and around here cost about $20 a pair. Best investment ever!

I take all of my leather-soled shoes (including my Ferragamo Varinas) to the cobbler before I ever wear them so that they can put on the sole protectors. I highly recommend it. I'm sure they can also re-sole your worn shoes too.

Interestingly enough, my latest pair of Ferragamos actually came with a rubber sole so I didn't need to do anything before wearing them.

shimmerbrick - did you get some rubber sole protectors put on? I cannot recommend them enough, well worth the investment.